Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Vin number issue
swanny

posted on 16/2/18 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
Vin number issue

Hello all

My kitcar has been on the road for the last 20 years without any issues. However, at the last MOT the tester wrote down the number from the chassis plate and entered it onto the MOT certificate but it was different By one digit to the number on the V5.

The numbers on the plate are very small but I think the MOT tester has correctly written down the numbers.

Looking back at the history of the MOT certificates every other MOT has used the vin number on the V5c rather than the number on the chassis plate. I知 guessing it is easier for the MOT testers just to copy what is on the screen rather than to bother reading the chassis plate like my tester did last year.

I now have a letter from DVLA noting the discrepancy but I知 nervous about telling them that the chassis number is different to the V5C i知 guessing it is easier for the MOT testers just to copy what is on the screen rather than to bother reading the chassis plate like my tester did last year.

I now have a letter from DVLA noting the discrepancy but I知 nervous about telling them that the chassis number is different to the V5C In case I get into a much bigger issue around whether the car is correctly registered or not.

Has anyone had similar experiences to this?

Although I have only owned this car for the last three years I do know the two previous owners including the builder so I知 not concerned anything dodgy has gone on but I知 wondering about the best way to resolve it.

My best guess is that an error was made when the car was originally registered but this was never spotted

Thanks

Smoking Frog

posted on 16/2/18 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
I've never had a issue like this. Can the vehicle ID be changed to match V5C?
obfripper

posted on 16/2/18 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
I usually encounter a couple of these a year at work, I MOT as presented and leave the DVLA to sort out what is wrong.
When registering a car for MOT, it is a requirement to use the chassis number/vin that is stamped on the plate or into the body/chassis, using numbers from an old MOT or jobsheet is a complete no no and if caught will risk the stations MOT testing authorisation.
Suprisingly i have only had one customer come back to say the DVLA have contacted them and dealt with the issue, some have returned the next year with no issue, but some still show up with the incorrect details.
It is usually imported cars that fall foul to this, but I have had a caterham that had the engine number as vin and vice versa and others with 5/S 2/Z etc mixed up but otherwise correct.

I would double check the chassis vin and plate vin against the V5C and the MAC certificate if you have a copy, to confirm where the mistake has been made.
If the only thing incorrect is the V5C, the DVLA should correct their records given a covering letter, the old V5C,clear photos of the vin and vehicle and possibly a rubbing of the vin plate (if it is marked by stamping). There is a small chance that they may request to inspect the vehicle, but if the MAC certificate matches the vehicle there is no identity issue, only a clerical one.

Dave

CosKev3

posted on 16/2/18 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
Now all the local offices have gone I reckon they will tell you to take it to a MOT tester/garage and get a letter confirming which VIN is on car and then they will change it on V5.
Same as they do if you swap your engine to a smaller cc one that lowers road tax

YOUSAY54

posted on 16/2/18 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
vin number issue

Hi all I had the same thing happen to me last march at last mot, car was built in 2000 not been picked up all that time went to a new mot garage, they picked it up brilliant tester doing his job right, rang the DVLA had to send 6 photos and logbook to them no problem just could not use the car for 5 weeks that was the worse part, sorted now,
Slimy38

posted on 16/2/18 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
I had similar with my old tintop, somewhere in it's history there was an N instead of an M so the V5c didn't match the car. I didn't even have to get it confirmed by a photo or a garage, I just wrote a letter and got it changed.
Wadders

posted on 16/2/18 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
just stamp a new chassis number on that matches the V5.......tester obviously read it wrong
swanny

posted on 17/2/18 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
Just as an update I have found in a buried box of papers a letter from dvla in 1998 ( when it was registered) giving the chassis number that needed to be stamped in the car. Luckily it痴 the same number as the chassis plate. So I think that suggests an admin error with the v5.

I値l scan it in and send it back to them and see how we get on.

I also found its first five mots all had the correct number (to the plate ) on but that was probably before dvla had computers to spot this!

YOUSAY54

posted on 18/2/18 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
vin number

That's not the way to do it Wadders if you are going to do it do it right? had trikes years ago we had the same problem every trike was reliant robin, DVLA shut that one down, I wonder how many kit cars have the same problem ie 1954 morris....on the V5.
swanny

posted on 10/4/18 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
just to wrap this up. I sent my photo of the chassic plate, the v5 and a copy of the original letter from DVLA where they told the builder which number to stamp on his chassis, and within a few weeks i got a letter back to say that it was indeed a DVLA error and that they would be issuing a new V5 with the correct number shortly.

that came about a week later.

i guess that before the computerised MOTs came in it wasn't spotted from one year to another and maybe the previous MOT (last year) had been done by a tester reading off the last printed form.

Another guy i know who owns a garage and does MOTs claimed it was ok not to read the chassis plate if the old MOT sheet was presented when the car was tested (which didnt seem right to me) so it seems that several MOT testers dont seem to apply this properly?

thanks for the responses and glad my case is resolved.

paul

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content ゥ 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [ゥ 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.