Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which degreaser for cleaning a whole car!
bigbravedave

posted on 21/2/18 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
Which degreaser for cleaning a whole car!

I have just bought an old seven for restoring back to its former glory. I'm pleasantly surprised at just how well 30 years of oil leaks and crud have preserved what lies beneath as she's solid in places I was expecting to be rotten.

Before getting stuck in, im tempted to put the car on axle stands over a DPC sheet and set to it with something to remove all the oily crud, It really is that filthy!

What do folk recommend for degreasing engine, axles, gearbox, and the rest of a car, something that's alloy friendly and won't stink the street out preferably

gremlin1234

posted on 22/2/18 at 12:31 AM Reply With Quote
petrol or good old paraffin would be a good start...
Mr Whippy

posted on 22/2/18 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
I use diesel for the Landy spayed on with an electric paint gun, then jet wash

Petrol (very volatile) or paraffin (very expensive) tend to soften paint and damage underseal apart from the obvious fire hazard and fumes that give me a headache

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
avagolen

posted on 22/2/18 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
WD40. You can buy it in 5 litre cans with a spray bottle in Wicks.

Works a treat.

The Answer for everything, but never the last word....

CosKev3

posted on 22/2/18 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
Bilt Hamber Surfex HD is a water based degrease, you dilute it to your desired strength.

Really good stuff that you don't need to worry about going down the drain!

Also worth a look at there other products,the wheel cleaner is acid free and water based too,changes colour as it breaks down brake dust and has won some big awards!

bigbravedave

posted on 22/2/18 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks folks, theres some good ideas there, I think im going to start off with some sort of solvent and alot of rags, followed by something water based and the jet wash. I will have s look atthe bilt hamber stuff as ive found there other products spot on.

Thanks

ReMan

posted on 23/2/18 at 12:34 AM Reply With Quote
Gunk?
Washes off in water too

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

bonzoronnie

posted on 23/2/18 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
I am surprised that no one has suggested Jizer or bilge cleaner ( Bilgex ).

They are my go to products for grease & grime removal, both are water soluble and in the case of bilge cleaner, quite environmentally friendly.

cliftyhanger

posted on 23/2/18 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
I have always used a jet wash with just water to move crud. Makes a heck of a mess and wear protection over your entire body, but fast and effective. Plus doesn't damage stuff assuming nothing too fragile.
Once all that is off, life is much easier

rusty nuts

posted on 23/2/18 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
It's a dirty job and likely to cost a fair bit degreasers etc, might be worth paying to get it steam cleaned . Even steam cleaning will miss certain areas
for which brake cleaner in a decent spray bottle would be on my list .

Mr Whippy

posted on 23/2/18 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
It's a dirty job and likely to cost a fair bit degreasers etc, might be worth paying to get it steam cleaned . Even steam cleaning will miss certain areas
for which brake cleaner in a decent spray bottle would be on my list .

I noticed a lot of big car breakers (the kind that take parts off for you) tend to have extremely good power washers they may wash yours for a small fee. I bought a gearbox once from just such a breaker and the blasted it factory clean in seconds after I moaned about how dirty it was.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.