Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 20W-50
DaxRushMLA

posted on 26/5/18 at 01:34 AM Reply With Quote
20W-50

Guys, What do yous think?

I own a Dax with a Cbr 1100xx. I have an oil cooler and have just increased my sump size from 4L to 5.4L. (had to re-baffle the sump)
The manual states I should put semi-syn oil 10W - 40 however due to the below reasons I was thinking of changing to
15W - 50 or 20W - 50 fully synthetic. What are your thoughts?

Pro's to changes
1. My Dax engine bay retains way more heat then of a bike engine so oil temp increases quicker!
2. I live in Malta and its quite hot & humid during the summer period here.
3. Fully synethic is thicker and therefore will reduce less movement in the sump (I blew a bearing on my last unbaffled engine)

Cons
1 - I will have an accusump & it might reduce the time of flow to get to the oil gallery if there is a lack of oil pressure. - this is just my thought!
2- Might reduce circulation in the sump due to oil thickness & my new sump partitions.

What are your thoughts pls?
Stick to 10W-40 as per manual but change to fully sync
15W - 50
20W - 50

Brendon

Bigboystoys

posted on 26/5/18 at 06:32 AM Reply With Quote
Fully synthetic on bike engines is a no go as normally causes clutch slip. I would just stick with a good quality semi synthetic 10-40 As recommended by pretty much all the bike manufacturers
ReMan

posted on 26/5/18 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
+1
Don’t use fully synth
Do use recommended grade

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

r1_pete

posted on 26/5/18 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
Fully synthetic BIKE oil will be fine, do not use car oil it has friction modifiers which ruin the clutch.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 26/5/18 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
Fully Synthetic only, anything JASO MA2. Film strength in high temperature operation will give you a margin of safety, just don't obsess over the oil pressure readings, they can get insanely low.

Circuit racing/testing in somewhere warmer than on this grey damp rock, I'd shoot for a 15/50. I use a 10/40 here.

A Motul or Silkolene product will fit the bill.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.