Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra rear hub nut torque
Mark18

posted on 22/1/05 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
Sierra rear hub nut torque

What exactly is the torque figure for these? There's always threads popping up here about people needing air guns etc to get them off, and the consensus seems to be around 280lb/ft. Well I was tightening mine a few minutes ago and took the threads off at around 150lb/ft . Now I need to find another Sierra, do up the halfshafts again and go messing about with the hubs again while I should be working with a rolling chassis

Mark

"I don't know what I may seem to the world. But as to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore and diverting myself now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than the ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Isaac Newton

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
need4speed

posted on 22/1/05 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
The Haynes manual states 185-214lb/ft or for the more upto date people 250 - 290 Nm

Hope that helps

mark_UK

posted on 22/1/05 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
250-290Nm(184-213lbft) according to Mr Haynes, if they`ve stripped at 150lbft there must have been something amiss,its better you found out now in the garage rather than later on the road
Mark18

posted on 22/1/05 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah, that was one of the thoughts going through my head - but what exactly could have gone wrong? I can see the figures I had were wrong for a start, but still they stripped before the correct figures.

Mark

"I don't know what I may seem to the world. But as to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore and diverting myself now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than the ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Isaac Newton

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mark_UK

posted on 22/1/05 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
Dread to think what would happen worst case,at best a very wobbly wheel
tks

posted on 22/1/05 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
well

if i was you i didn't fasten it @ that rate,

the reason for it is the following:

if you brake then the nut will only tighten it self.

another problem is the bearing stuff,

my situation was the following, i was tigtening that bold with a "bako" tool,

its a nut tool wich is adjustable, very soon i couldn't turn it any more, but i saw that the nut was just over the thread, i pushed from the back the axle on and with a plastic hammer i ticked on the disc and the nut was again lose,

what i want to say is that i think that the fixening you should do that in stages.

tighten, hammer, bearing control, tighten,control...

make a testride, go back and retighten again..

greetz

TKS

Peteff

posted on 22/1/05 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
My manual states 207 to 221 lb/ft. Did you strip the nut and the driveshaft thread. What kind of torque wrench were you using?. When we did the nephews' on his Sierra we just tightened it with a tommy bar till our eyeballs bulged and it's never shifted in 2 years.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Mark18

posted on 22/1/05 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
My manual states 207 to 221 lb/ft. Did you strip the nut and the driveshaft thread. What kind of torque wrench were you using?. When we did the nephews' on his Sierra we just tightened it with a tommy bar till our eyeballs bulged and it's never shifted in 2 years.

I used the age old method of 1 foot bar = 50lb/ft. This is the strange thing - I was only using 3 feet (if even) of leverage, and I wasn't jumping on the thing or applying any real eye bulging force. I still haven't a clue. The driveshaft looks to have taken 90% of the damage.

Mark

Peteff

posted on 23/1/05 at 01:29 AM Reply With Quote
Where did you get that formula? An average man can put 100 lb/ft of torque with a standard ratchet without breaking any knuckles, just a good pull.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Avoneer

posted on 23/1/05 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
You did have the right nut on the right side didn't you?
Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Mark18

posted on 23/1/05 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Avoneer
You did have the right nut on the right side didn't you?
Pat...
Haha, yes I did - Pete, the more I think about it the more stupid that formula seems - it's very likely that there was nothing wrong at all with the driveshafts or whatever - if you look at it, the weakest link comes down to myself and my inexperience - at least it's not an expensive mistake.

Mark

Avoneer

posted on 23/1/05 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
I won't tell you about any of my stupid mistakes then.
Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

tks

posted on 23/1/05 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
well

i didn't know about the left threaded side,

and my nuts where defenitly more thant what the manual states, i needed 1,5 meter of bar abnd 2 persons to disassembly the hole thing,

then on the other side the chit uccured, of course that side didn't win soow ast but hey it began to move.. now i have the left treaded side @ the end no trhead..
but with a extra ring that problem is also history...

TKS

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.