Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Comfortable R1 RPM @ 110km/h (68mph)?
woodsy144

posted on 21/1/20 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
Comfortable R1 RPM @ 110km/h (68mph)?

Hello,

I am trying to finalise my gearing. Being chain drive I can choose.
But not being a bike man, I am not overly familar with bikes.

Question, I want to be able to cruise at 110km/h (68mph) in 6th.
What RPM is a comfortable cruising RPM for an R1?

Thanks

[Edited on 21/1/20 by woodsy144]

CosKev3

posted on 22/1/20 at 06:12 AM Reply With Quote
Mine was horrible at 7000rpm at circa 70mph,that was running on 3.64 sierra diff.
Fitted a 3.38 diff and it was circa 6300rpm at 70mph which was much better.
Presume you will be looking at much lower rpms using a chain diff?

woodsy144

posted on 22/1/20 at 06:39 AM Reply With Quote
That is beauty of a chain drive, I can design to what ever I want.
But trying to find the 'sweet spot' between high speed cruising and low speed drivability is the struggle.

Engine is a 08 R1, Tyres are 195/50R15

russbost

posted on 22/1/20 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
Running a ZZR1400 with chain drive I have 4,500rpm at 70mph, which is great, but I doubt the R1 is as forgiving at low revs as the ZZR.

Diff ratio is 3.28 running 14:46 sprockets, tyres are 255/45/17 so you need to factor the bigger circumference in for a straight comparison, there isn't much of a downside except when 2 up on a hot sticky day when the tyres are warm, if you go for a semi fast start then there can be a fractional bog down until either revs pickup or wheels spin or combination of both, if you're really booting it it's not an issue as you can always break traction anyway

Makes it more economical on a cruise too if that's worth considering

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
adithorp

posted on 22/1/20 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
My fury R1 is around 1000rpm/10mph so at 100kph it'd be around 6000rpm. It'll happily cruise all day at 8000rpm. Only issue with that gearing is 1st gear is a bit long so high geared off the line but will hit 72mph in first

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

ReMan

posted on 22/1/20 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
Simmilar to Fireblade so 6-7000 is comfortable for the engine
6000 more comfortable for ears, 7000 better pick up
it will be somewhere around 1000/10mph in top as its pointless gearing for 150

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

jossey

posted on 26/1/20 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
My fury R1 is around 1000rpm/10mph so at 100kph it'd be around 6000rpm. It'll happily cruise all day at 8000rpm. Only issue with that gearing is 1st gear is a bit long so high geared off the line but will hit 72mph in first

Ain't seen you for years at the track adi. Miss you sat up my butt until I spin off the track.

I've gone and bought an r1 5vy but need ye help when you have a min on that alternator issue. I need a magneto if you have one to sell. Was debating in buying a whole engine as a spare. What's ye thoughts

On the rpm I found 6k at 70 good for the 893 I had with 318 diff but too slow on set-off with 51 in 1st

David

[Edited on 26/1/20 by jossey]

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.