Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Social distancing...
David Jenkins

posted on 26/5/20 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
Social distancing...

Just been out shopping for groceries with my wife... the majority of people seem to understand the need to keep well apart, but there seems to be about 10% who haven't got a 'king clue! Mostly it's the oldies (and therefore the most vulnerable) but quite a number of younger people as well.

Walking right up alongside us, reaching past to get stuff, etc. etc.

Really - it's not that hard to do... and it's not a major inconvenience if you engage your brain and look around at other people to see where they are...

coyoteboy

posted on 26/5/20 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
It's not related to age, it's related to whether they care or not. There's a percentage of the entire population who just don't care.

roadrunner

posted on 26/5/20 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
I bet if you started coughing when they get close they would care.
rusty nuts

posted on 26/5/20 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
Our local papers website is reporting several groups of 30 or more gathering on Grantchester meadows with no social distancing , they maybe sick to death of lockdown etc what’s the alternative? It doesn’t help with government advisors ignoring advice !!
SJ

posted on 26/5/20 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
Have to say I've found it pretty impossible in the supermarket from the start. Some people are wary but many don't seem too concerned. My view is I'll probably get it at some point if I haven't had it already so not overly worried.
coyoteboy

posted on 26/5/20 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SJ
Have to say I've found it pretty impossible in the supermarket from the start. Some people are wary but many don't seem too concerned. My view is I'll probably get it at some point if I haven't had it already so not overly worried.

I've been ordering online for 3 months, works fine.

It's not you that we need to worry about, it's the people you come into contact with while infectious/asymptomatic. If it was all a case of "I'll be fine" and there was no social interaction there would be almost no problem and officail social distancing wouldn't be needed - the high risk folk would not be at risk and the people who get a weak infection would be fine. But because people interact, everyone risks killing other people by "not being overly worried".

[Edited on 26/5/20 by coyoteboy]

BangedupTiger

posted on 26/5/20 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
"Stay Alert" and everything will be fine*.

*Unless you don't live in England, in which case stay put inside.

SJ

posted on 26/5/20 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by SJ

I've been ordering online for 3 months, works fine.

It's not you that we need to worry about, it's the people you come into contact with while infectious/asymptomatic. If it was all a case of "I'll be fine" and there was no social interaction there would be almost no problem and officail social distancing wouldn't be needed - the high risk folk would not be at risk and the people who get a weak infection would be fine. But because people interact, everyone risks killing other people by "not being overly worried".

[Edited on 26/5/20 by coyoteboy]

Personally I don't think the government are going to be able to stop people interacting for much longer. The objective of all the measures was to stop the NHS being overwhelmed, not prevent transmission. Disease being passed via social interaction has always been the case. Tens of thousands die of seasonal flu because of it every year unfortunately.

steve m

posted on 26/5/20 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
"It's not related to age, it's related to whether they care or not. There's a percentage of the entire population who just don't care."

Agree, and look at the pictures of all the retards on the beaches etc

I was under the impression that a lock down meant, stay at home ?

Im one of the Gov.uk stay at home, and HAVE to self shield, and have done so since Mar18,

I would love to go out, have friends round, I would love to go to work,

I have been told to self isolate till at least the end of August,

So if all these retards carry on as they are, beaches parties etc, I doubt I will go out of my house this year,

I also hope that every family who flaunts the lockdown loses someone from their family to this Virus, then they may think that
its not a hoax

We have lost an Aunt in April, to covid19, although she was in a care home, but shes still dead,

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Deckman001

posted on 26/5/20 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
I have to visit and often work on building sites, and it's a bit of a nightmare. No-one apart from me and a colleague wear full protective ppe, ie gloves and a mask for covid protection. Even the managers on sites this week do not wear extra protective gear, it's almost as if no-one cares anymore, work has to be done at almost any cost or the businesses will collapse.

We still keep our distances from others, but those others, often but not always foreign, don't care enough to replicate the safety.

Saying that though, has anyone else tried wearing those surgical type gloves under normal work gloves that must also be worn, in this 25 degree heat? very unpleasant when you take them off, and masks keep misting up my glasses due to the body heat generated and exhaled.

No real solution i guess apart from 'limited protection and full separation' must be the way forward.

Jason

SJ

posted on 26/5/20 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I also hope that every family who flaunts the lockdown loses someone from their family to this Virus, then they may think that
its not a hoax

I'm sure you don't mean it. That would be far too harsh.

steve m

posted on 26/5/20 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
I do mean it,

Why should I suffer in self isolation, while the pondlifes out there think all of this is a joke ?

I may never see my Parents again, as there 81/87 and in self isolation also

I don't see my kids, I don't see my grandchildren, yet pondlifes think its ok to go on beaches, etc

Infact, I hope they all die, as they are incredibly selfish

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

starterman

posted on 26/5/20 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Best post of the lot Steve. I couldn't have put it better myself. Thanks for using all the right descriptive words.

Cheers
Mike

quote:
Originally posted by steve m
"It's not related to age, it's related to whether they care or not. There's a percentage of the entire population who just don't care."

Im one of the Gov.uk stay at home, and HAVE to self shield, and have done so since Mar18,

So if all these retards carry on as they are, beaches parties etc, I doubt I will go out of my house this year,

its not a hoax

We have lost an Aunt in April, to covid19, although she was in a care home, but shes still dead,

steve

starterman

posted on 26/5/20 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Are you reading my mind?

quote:
I do mean it,

Why should I suffer in self isolation, while the pondlifes out there think all of this is a joke ?

I may never see my Parents again, as there 81/87 and in self isolation also

I don't see my kids, I don't see my grandchildren, yet pondlifes think its ok to go on beaches, etc

Infact, I hope they all die, as they are incredibly selfish

steve

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8599
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 26/5/20 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
Two friends in their 40s have had covid-19. Birth survived, however both ended up in intensive care and had strokes. We count the dead but not those that have had life changing effects from covid-19.

Stay safe

steve m

posted on 26/5/20 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
I see on the bbc news that 6 people died in cornwall today, and they are demanding lifeguards to be reinstated

My good friend Richard m, is a lifeguard/ beach patrol in Littlehampton, a job he LOVES, yet wonder why there are no lifeguards, or patrols, its because of social distancing, they cant do their job, as its not safe,

So, hundreds of pondlifes all over the country could die on the beaches, and I don't give a shit,

Infact it makes me happier, that these retards are suffering, albeit not enough, and all because of selfishness, to the people who are obeying the lockdown rules, and staying home

But as more of these idiots die, means less pollution of morons are left in this country, and probably all benefit cheats as well

Have to say, in 40 years of marriage, ive never claimed a penny, and currently, as I was a zero hour worker, not had a pound come in in two months, and I don't care, my health and family mean a million times more than money

Also, at my ripe old age of 59 11 months and 20 ish days, (nearly 60) I believe, that ive now decided to retire

So, let the idiots do what they want, infact, encourage them to party, go to the beach, self infect all of their scum households
And England WILL be a better and more intelligent place to live in, devoid of the pondlifes

steve

BangedupTiger

posted on 26/5/20 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

its not a hoax

steve

quote:
I see on the bbc news that 6 people died in cornwall today, and they are demanding lifeguards to be reinstated

My good friend Richard m, is a lifeguard/ beach patrol in Littlehampton, a job he LOVES, yet wonder why there are no lifeguards, or patrols, its because of social distancing, they cant do their job, as its not safe,

So, hundreds of pondlifes all over the country could die on the beaches, and I don't give a shit,

Infact it makes me happier, that these retards are suffering, albeit not enough, and all because of selfishness, to the people who are obeying the lockdown rules, and staying home

But as more of these idiots die, means less pollution of morons are left in this country, and probably all benefit cheats as well

Have to say, in 40 years of marriage, ive never claimed a penny, and currently, as I was a zero hour worker, not had a pound come in in two months, and I don't care, my health and family mean a million times more than money

Also, at my ripe old age of 59 11 months and 20 ish days, (nearly 60) I believe, that ive now decided to retire

So, let the idiots do what they want, infact, encourage them to party, go to the beach, self infect all of their scum households
And England WILL be a better and more intelligent place to live in, devoid of the pondlifes

steve

I find it utterly disgusting that you continue to use that word in derogatory manner. How pathetic.

steve m

posted on 26/5/20 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Did you go to the beach today then ??

What word, idiot, retard, pondlife selfish cunts did you not like ?

I don't care what words, or insults I use, as we are keeping safe, as are my family, and as such, I may never see my Father again
due to he's illness's, I find it incredibly selfish, that an awful lot or retards, flount the law, and are devoid of any form of intelligence
that requires us ALL to remain safe

Steve126

posted on 26/5/20 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
People in England are now allowed to sit in the sun and take unlimited exercise outdoors, provided we adhere to social distancing measures.

That means we are allowed to go to the park or beach and sit in the sun as long as we are 2 metres away from people we don't live with. Many of the people on the crowded beaches would have arrived when it was still quiet enough to socially distance, the problem is the people who arrive later who should see that the beach is full and go somewhere else, but instead choose to stay.

steve m,

You call other people pondlife and retards, yet you are the one saying you hope people will die, so what the hell does that make you?

How are you any better?

G13BLocost

posted on 26/5/20 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Just a quick reminder that this is a car forum, for talking about the building and enjoyment of Lotus 7 replica's.

Please be polite.

My Locost blog: ogilvietacing.com

steve m

posted on 26/5/20 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
steve m,

You call other people pondlife and retards, yet you are the one saying you hope people will die, so what the hell does that make you?

How are you any better?

Safe and alive?

I apologise for the cu word as historically that would of been bleeped out, however the rest of my comments I will stand by

steve

perksy

posted on 26/5/20 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
I think everyone just needs to take a deep breath and respect each others opinions

The government have changed their advice on how we approach this pandemic and regardless of how you feel about it I'm afraid that's the way it is

As soon as Boris mentioned starting to go to the beach again etc is was always going to go pearshaped anyway
Even the police accept their pretty much powerless on this..

I do think its a shame though if we've come to the stage where some are wishing ill on those whose actions they don't agree with
(Disagree with their actions by all means, but not wish them harm)

Perhaps everyone gets on better when we stick to cars

craig1410

posted on 27/5/20 at 12:20 AM Reply With Quote
Hi all,

Well, this thread went south pretty quickly and I must admit I was a bit shocked initially at some of the language and sentiment. However, although I don't condone some of the things which have been said here, we all need to understand that many people are in much more difficult circumstances than others and we all react differently to that stress. I would encourage anyone who is feeling angry or bitter to talk to a close friend, family member, GP or other professional before it gets to breaking point. Social networks and forums are honestly the worst place to go when already angry or stressed!

As for the original topic of social distancing, I too have noticed the apparent apathy/ignorance of some people and it certainly can be annoying when we're trying our best to do the right thing. We were at B&Q on Sunday and despite arrows on the floor, some people still just walk the wrong way and make social distancing impossible. As for the more blatant rebellion from some who visit beaches etc, I suspect this has been an issue in every generation whether it be rejecting advice on drugs, tobacco, alcohol, promiscuity, driving too fast etc.

Just tonight, my wife and I were out walking our dogs near our cottage in the country and we could hear voices down by the river. On our way back we saw 4 mid-teen boys emerging from a field and getting onto their bikes to head home. They had apparently been down in the river having a paddle/swim. Were they breaking the law? Yes, probably since this is Scotland where we're still in full lockdown. Did I feel angry at them? No. Especially when they politely smiled, nodded and said "Hello" as they cycled past. They weren't evil. They didn't wish any illness on anyone. They were just 4 teenagers being teenagers under difficult circumstances.

Something I read this morning on BBC News website showed that people from age 15-44 in England & Wales have showed a REDUCTION in deaths compared to 5 year averages for the first 20 weeks of the year. This is thought to be due to reduced road traffic accidents and pub/club violence. Even 45-75 year olds show a fairly modest increase with much higher risks to over 75s. Here is the link:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52807376

I'm 47, as is my wife but we have parents in their late 70s and mid 80s so obviously we're very worried for them. We also have children in their early to mid 20s so we're also worried about the economic burden on them from all the economic interventions and ongoing impact. It's our kids who are affected most by the economic impact and yet from the BBC article they are the least likely to be affected by the disease itself. I still don't know of anyone who has had confirmed Covid-19 although I suspect many people I know have already had it. I myself had a really bad flu-like cold back in late January not long after spending 3 days in meetings in London with someone who travels back and forth to China on a bi-weekly basis and who was sick with 104F fever and a bad cough throughout that 3 day period. My wife and daughter also had a similar illness around the same time.

So, I can't help but conclude that the best way out of this situation is to get the younger generation back to work as soon as possible while shielding the older, probably already retired, generation as best we can. The generation in the middle is perhaps the most difficult so maybe some element of personal choice is needed here. Those who want to work should be able to do so and those who wish to be shielded should have that option and receive financial support. These decisions would also need to take account of all the people who live in a given household obviously but I think it could be done. We would also need to ensure that the NHS isn't overrun but again, if the BBC article is correct then that shouldn't be an issue.

Anyway, thankfully I don't have to make these decisions for the country so I can just be an armchair epidemiologist instead!

Stay safe folks - hopefully things will get better for all of us soon.

Mr Whippy

posted on 27/5/20 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah, I sometimes think the best approach overall would have been to concentrate on isolating and supporting the elderly and people vulnerable due to health issues rather than shutting schools and preventing younger healthy people from going to work, who would have had no difficulty just shrugging this virus off. It was very clear early on this virus was very age range specific. Had they done so then probably far fewer people would have perished in care homes even though it seems very obvious, even at the start they were the highest at risk.

I don't think we should be suggesting anyone deserves to die even from their own stupidity

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8599
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 27/5/20 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
Mr Whippy, please see my post. Younger people don't die, but they do have strokes. Massively life changing strokes. If we'd taken your approach many many more of us 40,50 and 60 something's would be in a horrible position.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.