Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel Pump Inertia Cut off Switch location?
Slater

posted on 2/7/20 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel Pump Inertia Cut off Switch location?

Folks
I have just got one of these from ebay - 17 quid. It's a "ball on conical seat" type.

[img] fuel pump inertia switch 2jul2
fuel pump inertia switch 2jul2
[/img]

Where should I mount the thing? Obviously direct to chassis or via stiff bracket and vertical with connector pointing down.

Options:
1. Cockpit, maybe down in footwell area, as can be easily reset from driving position.... in a hurry if needed
2. in boot area near the actual fuel pump?
3. in engine bay on scuttle?
4. any other suggestions?

Am I right in thinking it just has to be spliced into the fuel pump 12 V supply wire?

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

SJ

posted on 2/7/20 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
Just done the same. Mine is under the dash on the right hand side mounted to the top chassis rail. Out of sight but easily reached from the drivers seat.

In series with the fuel pump supply as you suggest.

Stu

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8599
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 2/7/20 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
I did think inside the transmission tunnel till I thought about reset (I was thinking cars have them in inaccessible places). I then got to thinking scuttle but I think I prefer your locations.
David Jenkins

posted on 2/7/20 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
Mine is on the firewall under the dash, on the passenger's side. I wired mine to cut power to the fuel pump and ignition - I wired my car to have a security system, so effectively the switch resets the security and shuts everything down.

SJ

posted on 2/7/20 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Mine is on the firewall under the dash, on the passenger's side. I wired mine to cut power to the fuel pump and ignition - I wired my car to have a security system, so effectively the switch resets the security and shuts everything down.

Good idea

adithorp

posted on 2/7/20 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
Mines behind the dash but within reach. I put it there thinking if it knocked of on just a big pothole, I could get it back on or even if it cut out in a minor colition I'd be able to move to a safe place.
Mines wired into the bike looms kill switch so cuts fuel and ingition. If I was wireing into just the pump, I'd put it on fuel pump relay (trigger side) so it's not carrying full pump current.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

britishtrident

posted on 2/7/20 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
Any solid part of the structure best mounted towards the centre car on a Seven style car you could mount it behind the rear bulkhead

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

big_wasa

posted on 2/7/20 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
It needs to be easy to get to.

Mines here, passenger transmission tunnel where it meets the footwell.

[Edited on 2/7/20 by big_wasa]

Mash

posted on 2/7/20 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Mounted mine on the rear bulkhead between the seats next to my extinguisher.

Mines in series with the pump.

David Jenkins

posted on 2/7/20 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Ideally, it should be as vertical as possible.

CosKev3

posted on 2/7/20 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
As Adi says above,ideally wants to be in the trigger feed to the fuel pump relay,unless of course the switch has proof it can handle the full power of your fuel pump through it?
Slater

posted on 3/7/20 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Guys, all good feedback.

I think Big Wasa has a good location, easily accessible if required but tucked out of view and central in the chassis too. The wire to the fuel pump pass close to that location too. I might be wrong but I don't think my bike carb fuel pump has a relay, my memory of doing the wiring in 2007 is a bit hazy though, so I will double check.

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

CosKev3

posted on 3/7/20 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slater
Thanks Guys, all good feedback.

I think Big Wasa has a good location, easily accessible if required but tucked out of view and central in the chassis too. The wire to the fuel pump pass close to that location too. I might be wrong but I don't think my bike carb fuel pump has a relay, my memory of doing the wiring in 2007 is a bit hazy though, so I will double check.

No probably not,as carbs dont require any fuel pressure to work,the pump just keeps the fuel bowls full.
A fuel injection pump needs to run at high pressure so draws much more power so would be wired through a relay.

J666AYP

posted on 3/7/20 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
Stuck mine out of the way in the back as my scuttle area is very cluttered.

Angel Acevedo

posted on 10/7/20 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
Late to the party.
I installed mine on the bulkhead in front of the scuttle.
It is wired on the control side of the Fuel Pump Circuit so It handles only Relay Coil current.
Accessibility is relatively low compared with other locations, but I don´t see that as a nuissance.
It never tripped on the donor car, so I don´t thik it will trip unless heavily hit.
I used the Mustang Stock one. I think it handled full pump amps so current is not a problem.

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.