Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which glass...
Simon

posted on 20/10/22 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Which glass...

...for front door canopy.

I'm thinking of making a stainless and glass canopy for the front door (don't like any commercially available or prices).

Glass will be flat sheet with 2 holes for through bolts on one side, with other side mounted in u channel against existing fascias.

So which sort of glass is recommended - toughened?

Thanks

roadrunner

posted on 20/10/22 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
I would go with toughened for safety reasons.
You will have to make patterns out of thin sheeting for the glass company though. Especially with holes in them.

nick205

posted on 20/10/22 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
I'd go with toughened as well for the safety aspect. If something drops on it, it gets clouted with a step ladder etc. Shattered glass every where and all over a person aint going to be pleasant.

Having had to replace a conservatory window recently after the mower kicked a stone and broke it, they have to be toughened for the same reason. They're doulbe glazed units, but actually 2 sheets of glass with a sealed spacer around the perimeter between them.

A glass maker/toughener may have suitable size sheets for your purpose and be able to add the holes you need.

gremlin1234

posted on 20/10/22 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
would polycarbonate be out of the question?
daviep

posted on 20/10/22 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
Definitely use toughened, I lined a shower room with toughened glass instead of tiling, 10 years on still looks as good as when fitted, one panel had several holes to allow mounting of an electric shower, was produced as per a sketch I supplied no problem. If you can find away of doing it without special holes then there is plenty available cheap on ebay.

Regards
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

Simon

posted on 20/10/22 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers everyone.

I looked into plastic and it's far more expensive than glass - bizarre

quote:
Originally posted by nick205

... replace a conservatory window recently after the mower kicked a stone and broke it, ...

Yep, did the same with the strimmer a few weeks back into conservatory door (was being exceptionally careful as a friend had also flicked a stone into a dg unit). £225 to replace and that was mate's rates with a neighbour that does "that sort of thing".

nick205

posted on 21/10/22 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
Cheers everyone.

I looked into plastic and it's far more expensive than glass - bizarre

quote:

... replace a conservatory window recently after the mower kicked a stone and broke it, ...

Yep, did the same with the strimmer a few weeks back into conservatory door (was being exceptionally careful as a friend had also flicked a stone into a dg unit). £225 to replace and that was mate's rates with a neighbour that does "that sort of thing".

A truly gutting feeling isn't it

I'd been mowing the same garden with the same mower alongside the same conservatory for years without issue. Just this one time the mower pinged a bit of stone! It broke the outer pane of the DG unit.

Because it was toughened it didn't shatter and tumble, you could see where the stone had hit and the pane crazed all over like a spiders web. I covered the whole thing with brown tape to keep it from going anywhere (dog in the household). It was £275 for the DG unit to be replaced, took the guy about 20 minutes to removed the broken one and fit the replacement one. Left his invoice, paid online, job done, me no spends for a while!

nick205

posted on 21/10/22 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
Plastic being more expensive than glass maybe to do with plastic being harder to get flat with no imperfections. The glass production process is probably better suited to doing that.
Simon

posted on 21/10/22 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

A truly gutting feeling isn't it

Yep, I hadn't even noticed - been strimming the patio (yep, the weeds/grass were that bad), showed the other half my work and she noticed the door.

Really really irritated as I was ensuring all the shite was flicked towards the fence (opposite direction.

Got tarp scraped all the bits onto it (also have dog) then into bin. Was not an expense I needed...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.