Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Alloy cleaner/Renovator
russbost

posted on 1/11/22 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
Alloy cleaner/Renovator

Has anyone used any of the brush on/wash off alloy cleaners that are available? Any recommendations for anything that's good

I've just bought a JZR with a Guzzi engine exposed at the front & the alloy is a bit dull/oxidised, I've tried some Autosol on it, but feel i could be there a long time, & impossible with head fins etc.

Edited to say, obviously alloy wheel cleaners are aimed at removing brake dust & modern alloys aren't bare alloy, so suspect they may not be much ise for this job?

Any suggestions welcome!

[Edited on 1/11/22 by russbost]

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
nick205

posted on 1/11/22 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
Not used any so can't recommend.

I wonder though if it will need some applying with some agitation (maybe a very stiff brush) to help disturb the oxidation and reveal clean alloy beneath?

May of course be totally wrong, just thinking aloud really.

russbost

posted on 1/11/22 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Not used any so can't recommend.

I wonder though if it will need some applying with some agitation (maybe a very stiff brush) to help disturb the oxidation and reveal clean alloy beneath?

May of course be totally wrong, just thinking aloud really.

Yes, I think a stiff brush will defo be required, just a Q of knowing what to put on first?

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
40inches

posted on 1/11/22 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
I have used Hydrofluoric acid with good results.
Should add that it is pretty nasty stuff. You may be better using a weakend mix, more work but safer Lik e this

[Edited on 1-11-22 by 40inches]

russbost

posted on 1/11/22 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
Should add that it is pretty nasty stuff. You may be better using a weakend mix, more work but safer Lik e this

Where can you buy the stronger stuff from? Had a quick Google but only came up with wholesale suppliers?

coyoteboy

posted on 1/11/22 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches

Christ on a bike.. HF is not a thing to be playing with. Even dilute, it has the potential for fatal results.

Autobrite Direct LTD Very Cherry Non-Acid, 500 ml https://amzn.eu/d/dCOAAje
Genuinely unbelievable results when used neat, and regularly washed with dilution. First use was one wheels that hadn't been cleaned for 2 years, 5 since their last deep clean. Sprayed it on neat, agitated with a brush, rinsed off 10 mins later. Wheel looked as new.

SteveWalker

posted on 1/11/22 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy

Christ on a bike.. HF is not a thing to be playing with. Even dilute, it has the potential for fatal results.

Yes HFA is known to pass through skin, without pain, until it sinks down to the bone, where it begins dissolving it. Sometimes, the only way to stop further damage is to amputate the limb! It can also be inhaled or pass through the eyes. It is seriously nasty stuff.

jelly head

posted on 1/11/22 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
Agreed - HF truely nasty. We keep an HF burn gel at work but would never want to be in a position to need it...
russbost

posted on 3/11/22 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, I'm convinced I don't want to play with hydrofluoric acid, I've ordered some of the Very Cherry stuff, not very convinced it'll work, but will give it a shot & report back!

Thanks Guys

[Edited on 3/11/22 by russbost]

coyoteboy

posted on 4/11/22 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
I can't wait to see your amazement. It's the same process my brother had when he suggested it to me.... "ah I've been waiting for your call of amazement"...

Just don't forget to give it a wee scrub (I used a toothbrush lightly) and don't let it dry on (unlikely in the UK).

nick205

posted on 7/11/22 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
RussBost

Has the Very Cherry arrived and been tried yet?

Any feedback for us - how you applied it, agitated it, rinsed it off etc?

russbost

posted on 28/11/22 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
Hi, I was reserving comment for when I've tried it properly, so far I have only tried it on one small area, the top of one of the heads. I've not had a chance to get the car outside for the last few weeks, been very busy with some other work on the car & it's currently not mobile & I don't want to be pouring water to rinse off all over the garage floor!

So far I would describe it as looking promising, though I am yet to be amazed, I think it's going to need several applications & probably a considerable amount of scrubbing/agitating, it did definitely remove some of the oxidation & ground in grime

russbost

posted on 1/2/23 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry the update has taken so long - I'm still not amazed! However, I am, I guess, pleasantly surprised! The Very Cherry is clearly designed as a wheel cleaner, NOT an aluminium cleaner - important to differentiate the 2 as most wheels are largely painted/lacquered finish nowadays, & it was primarily an alloy cleaner/deoxidiser I was looking for, but the Very Cherry was pretty good all round.

I felt the best way to show what it achieves was to put before/after pics up, which is what I've done below:-

[img] Engine B4
Engine B4
[/img]
[img] Engine B4 1
Engine B4 1
[/img]
[img] Engine B4 2
Engine B4 2
[/img]

Above is engine B4, below is engine after

[img] Engine A
Engine A
[/img]
[img] Engine A 1
Engine A 1
[/img]

Next, Rocker cover before, below, after

[img] Cover B
Cover B
[/img]
[img] Cover A
Cover A
[/img]

Some of the above is quite good, some less so - the wheels however, which is what it's designed for, were truly amazing, see below before, then after, they came up almost like new

[img] Wheel B
Wheel B
[/img]
[img] Wheel A 1
Wheel A 1
[/img]
[img] Wheel A 2
Wheel A 2
[/img]

Last pics, the carbs, pretty impressed with how these came up too, 1st 2 pics b4, 2nd 2 after

[img] Carb B
Carb B
[/img]
[img] Carb B1
Carb B1
[/img]
[img] Carb A
Carb A
[/img]
[img] Carb B 1
Carb B 1
[/img]

The suspension & chassis had a general coating of dust/road grime, & a quick spray & wash off brought all of that up really well, same on rubber surfaces like rack boots etc. Overall as a general cleaner, I'd say it's one of the best I've come across & being non acid at least you've not got to worry too much about anywhere it may not have been fully washed away from

With regard to the oxidation on the ali, I'll keep looking & let you know if I find something a little more aggressive!

coyoteboy

posted on 2/2/23 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
There's really nothing aggressive that will help you, other than mechanical polishing. The corrosion byproduct is Al203, which is pretty much as inert as a material can get. Apparently a mixture of citric acid and ammonia might work, but I'm no chemist and I'm not sure what concentrations you might need. Without balancing the PH of the solution, your acid will just etch the metal further I think.

[Edited on 2/2/23 by coyoteboy]

James

posted on 2/2/23 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy

Yes HFA is known to pass through skin, without pain, until it sinks down to the bone, where it begins dissolving it. Sometimes, the only way to stop further damage is to amputate the limb! It can also be inhaled or pass through the eyes. It is seriously nasty stuff.

Is that the stuff in burnt-out cars caused by burning rubber?

Seem to remember burnt cars are to be kept well away from.

Kind Regards,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.