Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Car repair after failed MOT
James

posted on 21/11/22 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
Car repair after failed MOT

Greetings folks,

Being a total moron I've let my MOT expire without realising it (by about 2 days). And in the time it's taken to get an MOT the road tax has expired.

Sadly it failed the MOT- turns out a previous owner had repaired the cill with fibreglass. I can't get the work done at the MOT station and it's beyond my skills at welding/facilities.

I've phoned a repair place who can do it in a few days. Question is, can I drive it to the repair place?

Any thoughts?

Have also had the final warning to tax/SORN it. Then I'll be driving it to repair place on a SORN as well as no MOT!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

loggyboy

posted on 21/11/22 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
Yes you can

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/retests

Taking your vehicle away for repairs
You can take your vehicle away if your MOT certificate is still valid.

If your MOT has run out you can take your vehicle to:

have the failed defects fixed
a pre-arranged MOT test appointment
In both cases, your vehicle still needs to meet the minimum standards of roadworthiness at all times or you can be fined.

Mistral Motorsport

BenB

posted on 21/11/22 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
You can drive it to have the work done but only if it hasn't been towed for having no road tax. Can you move it onto some private land and SORN it for a few days until the work happens?
gremlin1234

posted on 21/11/22 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
as above, but it must be pre booked with the repair shop, not just turn up
coyoteboy

posted on 21/11/22 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
"In both cases, your vehicle still needs to meet the minimum standards of roadworthiness at all times or you can be fined."

Which is impossible if it failed the MOT, so you're liable to be fined unless you can prove you're heading to a repair appointment by having booked it in...

With regards road tax, my experience is that you can leave it for a few weeks and no-one will tow it, you'll just get a letter initially. But that's why I pay by direct debit in monthly installments - I'm bound to forget, so it's not worth the few quid saving for me.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.