Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lanoguard
russbost

posted on 15/6/23 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
Lanoguard

Hi Guys

Has anyone used Lanoguard, comments for or against or any other similar product?

I've used waxoyl in the past & not been particularly impressed, difficult to apply completely & quite messy too

Lanoguard seems to have some good reviews, but is certainly pricey - looking at it for protection on classic vehicles rather than kit cars, though I guess it has a use there also

TIA, Russ

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
nick205

posted on 15/6/23 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
Not used it myself.

When building my MK Indy I used an aerosol Waxoyl it the rivet and other holes drilled in the chassis. Did it work - no idea really - it was my Dad's and handy on the shelf.

cliftyhanger

posted on 15/6/23 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
I contacted Lanoguard a while ago, asking for any independant test results. The answer. They had lots of good reviews.....

I am about to do a long term test on a number of rust protection products. However, what I can say is that Dynax and Dinitrol products aere WAY better than waxoyl. I have used Dinitrol 3125 for seams/box sections etc (very thin, and similar to Dynax S50) And I used a dinitrol hard waz=x in wheelarches etc. Remarkably tough and cleans off seasily with while spirit. 8 years, 35K miles are only a couple of places need a refresh.

Mr Whippy

posted on 15/6/23 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
Just seems an old product someone's sunk a heap into advertisement lately, with some big boob bimbo making sexual innuendos, it's all over the web and Youtube.

All I have gleaned is it smells of sheep and has to be applied every year. Doesn't seem to be any more effective than spraying your car with Thompson's water seal as it does nothing other than repel water. Their kits all seem to be a spray and some tub of grease you slap on, but slapping on any old grease will do the same thing.

Personally I just thin old used engine oil down with some petrol and spray that under the car with a squirty bottle, it's free and stops it rusting.

[Edited on 15/6/23 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ReMan

posted on 15/6/23 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
Interested.
I'd like something that has any effect on existing light surface rust , as you would find under any car
I've looked at laneguard and waxoyle, i'm guessing the y both simply cover and waterproof , like vaseline or olive oil would :-) with out any other properties?

sebastiaan

posted on 16/6/23 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
I'd second the Dinitrol suggestion. Messy (they all are) but seems good so far on both cars I've used it on. A 50 year old Alfa and a 43 year old land rover...

As for Lanogard, this seems to be the same stuff as Fluid Film and a whole raft of other lanolin based products. Maybe Fluid Film has some more non-anecdotal evidence?

cliftyhanger

posted on 16/6/23 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
Interested.
I'd like something that has any effect on existing light surface rust , as you would find under any car
I've looked at laneguard and waxoyle, i'm guessing the y both simply cover and waterproof , like vaseline or olive oil would :-) with out any other properties?

The Dinitrol 3125 and Dynax S50 are both very thin, and designed to soak into surface rust. Ideal for inside sills and seams etc, and indeed over any steel that shows light rust. However, on exposed areas, coating with a tougher product once the thin stuff has dried is a good idea. Just using a thicker product results in the stuff peeling off and water getting underneath. Waxoyl is notorious for that.

If you have a big can of waxoyl, you can mix about 25% underseal with it. Horrible stuff to use, but if seems to last much better than either product. I have wondered if waxoyl woul dbenefit from teh addition of some engine oil to stop it drying out, but with better products available, I have not experimented.

Mr Whippy

posted on 16/6/23 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
For years now I've just been using oil left over from oil changes. Anyone who's worked under a car knows oil leaks are great for preventing rust. In tin tops I simply pour it into the sills, rear arches etc with a funnel and hose, plugging the drain holes before hand. Then drain out the excess overnight.

It can be hard work to brush it on as it's too thick but thinned with about 10% petrol can be sprayed from any old bottle sprayer and the petrol evaporates in a couple of hours leaving a nice even coat behind. Some may say that's not great for any motor cyclists in the rain but water does not wash off the oil at all.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
adithorp

posted on 16/6/23 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
I used to do work on vehicles belonging to a company that dealt in shoddy**. Their collection truck was covered in a waxy layer of lanolin from the process and despite being ancient didn't have any rust on it (in an era when everything rotted). Probably a good job they never needed welding as the combo of that and the wool fluff stuck to it was highly combustable!

**recycled wool scraps; the (literally) crappy bits from sheep's fleeces).

Mr Whippy

posted on 16/6/23 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
Personally using something that stinks of stinky sheep is enough of a put off for me no matter how much it protects, might appeal to some people though...
Iomlocosts4

posted on 19/6/23 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
cosmoline equivalent. I am using something similar. it stinks but it keeps out moisture even on wet rusted steel. I am using it everywhere and I dont have a garage.
russbost

posted on 19/6/23 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the input guys, I'll take a look at the Dinitrol & Dynax stuff.

I was skeptical of the Lanoguard cos of the advertising, when something seems too good to be true it is usually falsified!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
SJ

posted on 21/6/23 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sebastiaan
I'd second the Dinitrol suggestion. Messy (they all are) but seems good so far on both cars I've used it on. A 50 year old Alfa and a 43 year old land rover...

As for Lanogard, this seems to be the same stuff as Fluid Film and a whole raft of other lanolin based products. Maybe Fluid Film has some more non-anecdotal evidence?

I had a '76 'sud that was treated with Dinitrol. It was still on original sills at over 20 years old. Very good stuff

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.