Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Side Doors Design
albertz

posted on 16/6/23 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
Side Doors Design

Hi I’m looking at making some side doors for my car. I’m struggling with which materials to use, how to set it up and how to finish it. Really looking for some inspiration (and photos!) from someone who has built their own doors.

I provisionally plan to use carbon steel for the frame, 2mm Perspex for the window, build in elbow pockets and cover the whole lot inside and out with vinyl.

Main questions are; will 2mm Perspex be adequate? how to neatly mount that to the steel frame? How to neatly cover the frame and edge of the Perspex for a nice finish with the vinyl?

Appreciate any views or advice, but really appreciate previous door builders experience, tips and photos. Thanks.

Mr Whippy

posted on 17/6/23 at 03:41 AM Reply With Quote
most of the doors I've seen use soft plastic windows.

I actually have a pair of robin hood side doors, never fitted for sale. I could give you some sizes of them.

Alternatively I'd assume you'd use a trapline manufacturer to sew up the material much like getting a hood made.

[Edited on 17/6/23 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
albertz

posted on 17/6/23 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
Hi, thanks for the reply. Yea it would be great if you could give me the sizes from your RH doors and also how much you’re after for them please. If they work out for size then it might make my life easier to buy them!

If you don’t mind please give me the main outline sizes and a photo or two?

I built my latest Locost 3” longer in the cockpit area as I’m quite tall, so would need to check how they’d look on my car.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/6/23 at 12:23 AM Reply With Quote
will do that on Sunday, sizes on a photo.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Schrodinger

posted on 18/6/23 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
I made the doors for my Tiger Cat using fiberglass and 6mm polycarb.

Rescued attachment DSCF0036.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0036.JPG

Keith
Aviemore

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/6/23 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
Here you go, both doors are as new with no previous fittings etc. £50 for the pair. Where in Scotland are you? I'm in Aberdeenshire.

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

[Edited on 18/6/23 by Mr Whippy]

albertz

posted on 18/6/23 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
Hello, thanks a lot for the photos and sizes. I will measure up tomorrow and get back to you. I’m in Caithness, but further up than you, but we’re in Aberdeen area quite often (lived there for 5-6 years).

I’ll get back to you soon, thanks again.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Here you go, both doors are as new with no previous fittings etc. £50 for the pair. Where in Scotland are you? I'm in Aberdeenshire.

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

[Edited on 18/6/23 by Mr Whippy]

albertz

posted on 18/6/23 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Gary, thanks for posting the photos. Those doors are really cool and a bit different from the usual style. Giving me plenty inspiration and ideas.

What thickness is the aluminium and Perspex? Does it stay quite rigid at speed?

quote:
Originally posted by GaryM
Locost Door
Locost Door

Door Inside before trimming
Door Inside before trimming

locost roof
locost roof

They look a bit strange but plenty of elbow room and the rear arches take some of the weight off the hinges. Also this coincided with the line that the roof would take from the screen to the roll over bar.

Gary

[Edited on 18/6/23 by GaryM]

GaryM

posted on 18/6/23 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
3mm perspex and whatever 'The Book' recommended for the bodywork (I had some left over), maybe 1.2mm?

Yes perfectly rigid. I did notice from Caterham videos that some of their doors tend to flap at speed so I went for a design that was more rigid, easy to make and maximum side visibility. The intention was to only use them when I thought it might rain but they totally transform the driving experience to the extent they stay on all the time!

albertz

posted on 18/6/23 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
That’s brilliant cheers! The Perspex I bought is 2mm which might be too thin, I can change it for 4mm easily tho.

I agree with your thoughts on visibility and so on and I reckon once fitted they’ll be more or less permanent.

The design is clean cut and easier looking to DIY, less complications than trying to trim with vinyl etc.

Thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by GaryM
3mm perspex and whatever 'The Book' recommended for the bodywork (I had some left over), maybe 1.2mm?

Yes perfectly rigid. I did notice from Caterham videos that some of their doors tend to flap at speed so I went for a design that was more rigid, easy to make and maximum side visibility. The intention was to only use them when I thought it might rain but they totally transform the driving experience to the extent they stay on all the time!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.