Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rear wheel drive and an A series
Mr Whippy

posted on 5/9/23 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
Rear wheel drive and an A series

Hi, I'm not very clued up on the A series but what is a good car that used one and had rear wheel drive? The only thing that comes to mind is a Moggy. Cheers.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ian.stewart

posted on 5/9/23 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Hi, I'm not very clued up on the A series but what is a good car that used one and had rear wheel drive? The only thing that comes to mind is a Moggy. Cheers.

Spritdget ,a35, a40 farina, Marina,

Something different, Very different..............

adithorp

posted on 5/9/23 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ian.stewart
quote:

He said "good car"

Mr Whippy

posted on 6/9/23 at 06:17 AM Reply With Quote
Great thanks, Marina now that may be a good option
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 6/9/23 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
quote:
quote:

He said "good car"

Marina....there's a memory!

When I was a nipper my old man had a Marina pick-up for work. It spent more time on the drive being fixed than it did working!

JC

posted on 6/9/23 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
....and presumably its 'stylish' successor, the Ital!
ian.stewart

posted on 6/9/23 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Almost forgot, there was a agricultural diesel tractor version too, Riccardo? it may have been called, and Nissan used the A series under license too

Something different, Very different..............

Mr Whippy

posted on 6/9/23 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:
quote:
quote:

He said "good car"

When I was a nipper my old man had a Marina pick-up for work. It spent more time on the drive being fixed than it did working!

I'm sure it was our silver the Marina I painted with green fence paint when my dad went for a break he still moans about it to this day! It's also the car I have vivid memories of the rear door flying open while going round a corner and watching my red beach ball rolling out, fortunately my dad always insisted on fitting rear seat belts (very usual at the time) so I didn't join it After that we went up market and got an Allegro

nick205

posted on 7/9/23 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:
quote:
quote:

He said "good car"

I'm sure it was our silver the Marina I painted with green fence paint when my dad went for a break he still moans about it to this day! It's also the car I have vivid memories of the rear door flying open while going round a corner and watching my red beach ball rolling out, fortunately my dad always insisted on fitting rear seat belts (very usual at the time) so I didn't join it After that we went up market and got an Allegro

Up market with the Allegro - eh?

Square steering wheel IIRC

DanP

posted on 8/9/23 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
I had in my head the MGB might have used it, this page suggests it was the midget though: https://www.mgcc.co.uk/articles/the-story-of-the-a-series-engine/
Mike Wood

posted on 13/9/23 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Are you thinking of making an A Series engined powered Locost? It has been done before and early Lotus Sevens (Series II in the early 1960s with 948cc and 1098cc Austin Heale6 Sprite engines) were so powered. Westfield Elevens commonly are built with 1275cc Spridget engines, gearboxes and rear axles.

If this is for a project please start a build thread.

Cheers
Mike

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.