Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mark 1 MX5 speedo drive
Slimy38

posted on 15/4/24 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Mark 1 MX5 speedo drive

I thought it best to pose this as a separate question on top of my earlier one, purely because I can't figure it out!! I have a Mark 1 MX5 engine with the matching gearbox, and I'm trying to fit the mechanical speedo drive. As far as I can tell, the cable will only fit into the gearbox if it's coming from inside the drivers side footwell.

Is that accurate or is there a different way to do it? It has been suggested that I could switch the mechanical drive for the electronic one, but then I'm swapping speedo, then other gauges because they won't match, and onwards.

nick205

posted on 16/4/24 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
Can't answer your question on the MX5 stuff, I built a Sierra based MK Indy.

The Ford Type 9 gearbox had a mechanical speedo drive cable that would have appeared by my left thigh. I opted to ditch the Sierra clocks and used an ETB eletronic speedo. Very easy to install and setup - passed the SVA no problem. It was also significantly easier to make a better job of making a better looking dash as well.

That said, I'm not familiar with the MX5 stuff, which may look far better than the Sierra stuff.

Slimy38

posted on 16/4/24 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Can't answer your question on the MX5 stuff, I built a Sierra based MK Indy.

The Ford Type 9 gearbox had a mechanical speedo drive cable that would have appeared by my left thigh. I opted to ditch the Sierra clocks and used an ETB eletronic speedo. Very easy to install and setup - passed the SVA no problem. It was also significantly easier to make a better job of making a better looking dash as well.

That said, I'm not familiar with the MX5 stuff, which may look far better than the Sierra stuff.

I do quite like the MX5 gauges although they are being heavily altered. Having said that it would be foolish of me not to consider other options. What is the sender mechanism for the ETB speedo? Is it a magnet on the driveshaft or similar?

nick205

posted on 16/4/24 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
2 magents, which I bonded 180° apart on the Sierra diff input flange. Sensor approx. 3mm away, which I held in a fabricated Ally strap across the inside of the tunnel.

ETB supplied excellent, easy to follow setup instructions to calibrate.

SVA tester passed it all straight away. SVA (pre IVA) shows how far back I built and tested).

Slimy38

posted on 16/4/24 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
2 magents, which I bonded 180° apart on the Sierra diff input flange. Sensor approx. 3mm away, which I held in a fabricated Ally strap across the inside of the tunnel.

ETB supplied excellent, easy to follow setup instructions to calibrate.

SVA tester passed it all straight away. SVA (pre IVA) shows how far back I built and tested).

Excellent, thanks.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.