Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bike carbs on Zetec
Speedytriple

posted on 19/4/24 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
Bike carbs on Zetec

HI Guys,

After getting my carbs setup yesterday on the Fiesta i'm having trouble with the throttle not returning properly so i guess it needs a stronger return spring or an additional return spring adding.

Has anyone had this issue before and if so how did you sort it?

Thanks in advance.

Slater

posted on 19/4/24 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
I had exact same issue and solved it like this in the pic. Mine is 1.8 Zetec with Kawasaki ZZR carbs.

[img] Throttle Return Spring
Throttle Return Spring
[/img]

It's actually quite a common issue and I've posted this pic quite a few times, the link below should take you to a bunch of threads on this subject. See under "Threads linked to this photo".

https://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?ac tion=showphoto&photo=throttle%20ret%20spring.JPG

Hope that helps....

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

Speedytriple

posted on 19/4/24 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks chief.

Mine's actually a bit different as it actuates on the end of the carbs with the round linkage that normally would have the 2 bike cables in it.

I'll try to post a pic later.

Thanks

jacko

posted on 19/4/24 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
Most people using bike carbs have to fit a extra spring I had too
G

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Speedytriple

posted on 19/4/24 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Hi guys

Here are the pics of the throttle linkage on the bike carbs.

[img]https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/331tx6pi95jtxfiab2vta/Photo-19-04-2024-20-28-56.jpg?rlkey=iw5nsa46om3zox73nthhw9o62&dl=0[/img]

[img]https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/qw9q426qssqeodh0388ne/Photo-19-04-2024-20-29-06.jpg?rlkey=qfmxggvcyvlh0692i14nb6bv2&dl=0[/img]

Cheers.

Slater

posted on 20/4/24 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
looking at the pics, you just need the same thing as me:

a. short cable with nipple on the end that attaches to the round thing and comes off the opposite side to the throttle cable and pass the cable through the empty side of the bracket.
b. 2 x 5p coins with holes drilled in so cable will pass through
c. 1 or 2 springs (I have 2, one inside the other)
d. nipple with screw to keep it all together.

Opening the throttle will compress the springs, so the springs help close the throttle with small force.

Hope that makes sense.....

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

jacko

posted on 20/4/24 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
[Edited on 20/4/24 by jacko]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Speedytriple

posted on 20/4/24 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
That’s great thanks.

Also, since using the Nodiz a few things have stopped working like Tacho, charging etc.

My rolling road guy said if I take a feed from one wire from the old crank sensor to one of the new wires on the crank sensor on the Nodiz then some of this may come back to life. I’ve done some fiddling this morning which seems to result in the charging light going out, which is good, the battery engine management light going out, excellent. However the fan now seems to be on all the time.

I’m guessing it should be crank sensor positive on Nodiz to crank sensor pos on old wiring loom?

If the fan is on all the time it’s not an issue as I can always wire in a switch.

Thanks guys.

jacko

posted on 20/4/24 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
engine
engine

This is how I fitted a extra spring you can see it in the middle of the carbs

[Edited on 20/4/24 by jacko]

Speedytriple

posted on 20/4/24 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks fella.
Speedytriple

posted on 21/4/24 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, so it seems something else is amiss.

The throttle seems to be returning to the stop every time, however sometimes the revs hang at about 2000rpm and after a big rev they can hang around 4000 or whatever, but strangely the quadrant seems to be on the stop every time.

Any ideas what can cause that? Little blips seem to be ok but just when it’s revved a bit (or a lot harder) it seems to not return to idle. I will add an additional spring anyway to see if that helps but it does seem to be snapping shut as it should.

Thanks.

Speedytriple

posted on 22/4/24 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
Just thought i'd give you an update..

After speaking to one of my friends who is much more of a bike carb expert than me he seems to think its a sticky slider (or sliders) in the carb.

So i'll apply a little WD40 and see how we get on.

Cheers

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.