Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ideas for getting rid of old petrol
SteveWalker

posted on 23/4/24 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
Ideas for getting rid of old petrol

Due to problems with my kit-car and life in general, its been off the road for a while. At the same time, we have a Matiz that has also been off the road for a couple of years. Both have suffered badly from stale fuel/moisture. I've finally got the kit-car running fine, by cleaning out the system, emptying the tank and putting fresh fuel in - what came out looked awful.

The trouble is that I now have 25 litres of useless petrol and, potentially, another 25+ litres in the Matiz, that I need to get rid of.

The local tip will take it, but you have to leave it in the containers and I don't fancy having to throw away 3 off 20 litre jerry cans.

I thought of burning it in a petrol powered heater, but they're more expensive than 3 cans.

Any other ideas?

adithorp

posted on 23/4/24 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
If you can get it to Stalybridge I can stick it in my waste oil tank.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

SteveWalker

posted on 23/4/24 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
I'm only about half-an-hour from Stalybridge, so I might take you up on that kind offer. I'll get back to you when I know where I am up to at this end.
JAG

posted on 24/4/24 at 07:11 AM Reply With Quote
I recently disposed of 2 gallons of dirty old petrol at my local Waste Recycling Centre.

They told me to add it to their waste oil tank - according to them it will be separated out during the conversion into heating oil.

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

nick205

posted on 24/4/24 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JAG
I recently disposed of 2 gallons of dirty old petrol at my local Waste Recycling Centre.

They told me to add it to their waste oil tank - according to them it will be separated out during the conversion into heating oil.

My a couple of local tips have been called a "Household Recycling Centre's" for some years. Both have waste motor oil containers, which I've used when servicing cars to get rid of engine oil (no charge, just better than it going down the drain or straight into the ground).

SteveWalker
Probably worth checking out what's in your area and see if you can make use of them.

ianhurley20

posted on 25/4/24 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
I came by a lawn mower that hadn't run for a while. It had a full tank of petrol that smelt awful. I decided to burn it but couldn't get it to light! New fuel sorted the mower and it went with a few litres of oil for recycling!
adithorp

posted on 25/4/24 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker
I'm only about half-an-hour from Stalybridge, so I might take you up on that kind offer. I'll get back to you when I know where I am up to at this end.

U2u me if you want me to get rid of it.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

coyoteboy

posted on 25/4/24 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone with an old diesel car will be able to mix it with diesel at.10-20% with no issues

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.