Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mid engined handbrake
DorsetStrider

posted on 6/2/05 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
Mid engined handbrake

Ok here's the thing... I'm building a mid engined but droping a FWD alfa engine and gear box in the back....straight forward yes???........no!

Suddenly thought of a problem I'm gonna have. because I'm using the engine gearbox axels and wheels from the alfa pretty much as they were on the alfa and then using a renaults front wheels steering etc for the front end I'm gonna end up with two set's of disc brakes.... then I suddenly thought how am I gonna get a SVA legal handbrake set up?

Any ideas?

Who the f**K tightened this up!

colibriman

posted on 6/2/05 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
if it is an alfasud engineand gearbox, they have inboard discs and the handbrake on the front wheels.....that might sort out your handbrake problem...

need a bike engine? - www.colibriman.com

SVA ready Mk Indyblade possibly for sale.....if the offers good...!

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DorsetStrider

posted on 6/2/05 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
nope..... it was an alfa 33 cloverleaf

colibriman

posted on 6/2/05 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
try a search on ebay for an alfasud gearbox?

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DorsetStrider

posted on 6/2/05 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
how about if I constructed some sort of cable activated caliper that worked directly on the axels rather than the whees themselves?

colibriman

posted on 6/2/05 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
I would imagine that would be fine...thats how the alfasud worked - the discs are on the inner ends of the driveshafts...

Aren't there some porsche's likee this too...there are probably others. thinking about it, Quads have a single disc on the rear axle in the middle

Hope this helps
Colin

Hugh Paterson

posted on 6/2/05 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
Steve Turner has some cable operated calipers available for just such a use, dont know how it goes with the SVA though, would not hurt to u2u him for details (aka tadltd)
Shug.

Rorty

posted on 8/2/05 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
Airheart and Wilwood do cable activated single pot calipers.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

imull

posted on 8/2/05 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Quad bikes normally have a locked diff dont they? so can cope with 1 disc.

What about fitting a secondary caliper that has the cable gubbins on it already. That will allow you to leave the cable slightly slack and have a hydraulic system on teh normal calipers ~ great for any playing you wish to do and totally legal.

Alternatively get front calipers off a Citroen BX or whatever one had teh front wheel handbrake

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.