Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Standard Fireblade Clocks
Avoneer

posted on 10/2/05 at 11:59 PM Reply With Quote
Standard Fireblade Clocks

Hi Guys,
Being new to BEC's - can someone explain why I can't use the standard Fireblade clocks?
Cheers,
Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisGamlin

posted on 11/2/05 at 01:09 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Pat

Short answer - no reason. The loom you're getting from me is a '98/99 loom which means it uses the newer style blade clocks which are much lighter, more compact and look nicer IMHO. The only issue I came across with the 97 engine is that it doesnt have a speedo sender built into the gearbox like the 99 engine so the speedo wont work by default, although Im sure this could be worked around with magnets on the prop or something similar as others have done. I do have my 99 blade clocks if you want to have a look on Saturday, I was planning on putting them up for sale on Ebay as the bikers seem to get through them at a rate of knots when they drop their bikes

Chris

Hellfire

posted on 11/2/05 at 04:18 AM Reply With Quote
You can use them Pat - just not so simple with that model!

ChrisGamlin

posted on 11/2/05 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
I used the 99 clocks with my original engine (which was a 99 too), was very easy with the help of a Yellowbox. Im sure if you could get a suitable pickup for the gearbox sensor (thats still plugged into the loom) it would be just as easy, not sure what that sensor picks up on inside the gearbox on the 99 though, ie I assume you would need something on the prop with the same number of pickup points as the sensor sees inside the later gearbox.

Chris

[Edited on 11/2/05 by ChrisGamlin]

Avoneer

posted on 11/2/05 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers,
Will waffle more tomorrow Chris.
Pat...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisGamlin

posted on 11/2/05 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
Yup see you tomorrow.

Chris

Avoneer

posted on 11/2/05 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
So.....
I don't mind using a back-lit mountain bike speedo for the speedo so no problem with the speedo.
Just need a rev counter and water temp gauge and warning lights.
What's going to be easiest, neatest and cheapest?
Cheers,
Pat...

ChrisGamlin

posted on 11/2/05 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
The blade clocks have:

Speedo/odo + digital trip
Rev Counter
Water Temp (digital)

Warning Lights:
Indicators
Neutral
High Beam
Oil Pressure light (although Id strongly recommend getting a gauge if you're going on track)
- and one other I cant remember!

Basically the only other info I had on my dash was the oil pressure / temperature gauge, everything else ran off the clocks.

It depends on how you want it to all look in the end, proper gauges probably look a bit better but by the time you've bought a decent rev counter and water temperature gauge etc, it may work out a fair bit more expensive. The blade clocks don't look too bad, I had them mounted on the transmission tunnel although visibility from there isnt great, mounting them on/in the dash would be better. Its all nice neat wiring though as its one big multi-plug straight off the loom, the only wiring you'd need to do into the loom is to provide a feed from your flasher unit to flash the indicator signals.

Anyway, you can have a look tomorrow and see what you think, no need to decide on the day I can always post them to you if you decide after.

Chris

Avoneer

posted on 11/2/05 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
So if I have these clocks, I'll just have to work out how to get the speedo working and possibly purchase a "yellow box" type thing???

Everything else should be straightforward like the water temp and warning lamps???

And just an oil pressure gauge if I want to be extra careful and add longetivity to my engine???

Chris, have you still got that Oil temp,pressure gauge?

Cheers,

Pat...

Avoneer

posted on 11/2/05 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Chris,
Is it like this?
If so, what appears on the display?
Just wondering if I can use this and a mountain bike speedo - that would be easier and even cheaper...
Pat... Rescued attachment 0d_1_b.JPG
Rescued attachment 0d_1_b.JPG

ChrisGamlin

posted on 12/2/05 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
i know you're on the way down at the moment so posting this is irrelevent to you, but just for future reference, those ones are from an injected blade so assume they wouldnt fit the loom, these are the late carb blade clocks from 98/99

99 Blade clocks
99 Blade clocks

Water temp, oil pressure light and Neutral are all in the loom so work automatically assuming you plug them in correctly at the engine end. The high beam and indicator just feed into the loom with two wires in the loom just as they would if you had a seperate warning lamp with two wires off the back.

[Edited on 12/2/05 by ChrisGamlin]

andrew.carwithen

posted on 12/2/05 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
Chris,
Sorry to hijack your post, but are all blade clocks (carburettor) interchangeable between the various carburettor models?
I'm buying a '97 919cc blade engine next month and will eventually require clocks.
Will the 98/99 clocks be suitable? (or, indeed, those from earlier models?)

I'll also need a wiring loom and regulator etc. Any idea of usual prices and where best to source from (I've heard mention of the 'fireblade shop' but don't have contact details etc.?)

Many thanks,

Andy

ChrisGamlin

posted on 12/2/05 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
The 98/99 clocks are completely different to earlier models so I would assume the multi-plug connector at the back is probably different too, although I might be wrong. Im pretty sure at least some of the earlier ones had lots of single wires connecting to them though rather than the multiplug.
For a loom etc, why not speak to Colin (www.colibriman.com) and see if he can source you one? I wouldnt advise buying all the loom components seperately as you may well end up with the wrong year of CDI or something, better off trying to buy, loom, CDi, rectifier etc as a bundle so you know its all the same year. Ebay would also worth a shot, you can pick up cheap pattern part (brand new) rectifiers on there for around £35 ISTR

Chris

TB

posted on 6/12/05 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
Fireblade Shop Link

Hi there!

The Fireblade Shop website is at:
http://www.firebladeshop.co.uk

BRJ

posted on 10/12/05 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry if this has already been asked, but has anyone had any success using a 97 blade engine and 97 speedo in a BEC and if so, how have they done it?

Cheers
Barry

Avoneer

posted on 10/12/05 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
Standard later model sensor picking up two magnets on the prop and fed to the speedo via a speedo healer will do the job.

Pat...

andrew.carwithen

posted on 10/12/05 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Pat, Have you got a pic of the speedo sensor? Are you saying this is removable from the gearbox and can be mounted remotely?
I'm thinking, perhaps, that I could use one to send pulses to an aftermarket electronic speedo from Greengauges etc. for my '94 blade engine?

Andy.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.