Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Aluminium Brake Hats, which grade?
MonkeyHunter

posted on 15/2/05 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Aluminium Brake Hats, which grade?

Hi, I need to get some brake hats machined up; i can get the machining done gratis, but need to supply the Aluminium. So which grade should I be looking for? Would HE30T be up to the job? Also anyone know where i can get some 8.5" round bar, around 120mm long in the required grade?

Cheers,
Scott.

Volvorsport

posted on 15/2/05 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
what diameter discs are the brake hats for ? If i get you some can i have some aswell ?

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

MonkeyHunter

posted on 16/2/05 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Volvosport,

Im sure we could come to some arrangement.

The Hats are for some monster Wilwood discs (specs below) I can just fit these under my 15" rims with wilwood dynalite calipers.

The hats would fit any disc with the same bolt circle (selection here), but i would need some specs off of you, like hat offset, center bore, and stud PCD. As my hats will be to fit a MR2 front hub, and have a lage offset (50mm) so everything clears the wheel.

Wilwood 11.75" (298.5) Diam - UL Curved Vane Rotor

Width: 1.25" (31.8)
Diameter: 11.75" (298.5)
No. of Mounting Holes: 8
Bolt Circle: 7.00" (177.8)
Hole Type: 0.326
Far Side ID: 8.34" (211.8)
Lug ID: 6.38" (162.0)
Weight (lbs): 8.9

Scott.

Matthew_1

posted on 16/2/05 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

I had to make custom disk bells to mount 300mm disks under 13" wheels, The offset I needed was only 5mm so it was a case of machining a 'donut' from 6061 grade ali.

I did a lot of asking (including Wilwood, AP-racing, TWR) around and the most common answer I got was that 6061 was the best grade offering enough stiffness and flexibility - aparently 7075 was too stiff.

And stupidly, the best place to buy it was in the US from http://www.onlinemetals.com/

The ali plate plus $20 postage was 1/3 the price of just the plate in the UK. AMetal of any description is an absolute ripoff here.

Bob C

posted on 16/2/05 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
I was advised that HE30 was the stuff to use with a material thickness not going below 7 to 8 mm.
This has been fine to date on a 1 ton (+) car front wheels.
I was also advised that hard anodising was the finish to use - but I never found anyone to do it at a reasonable price. I ended up paying £40 for finishing 2 ally peices that looked like breakfast bowls AND they came back different shades of grey! Fortunately you can only see one at a time.....
Cheers
Bob
Bob C

Volvorsport

posted on 16/2/05 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
well , i shall give my suppliers a call to see whats going on , and if i can get any . I was hoping youd say Monster 330mm discs hehe . ive got 287 mm discs as std on my car so ill have a looksie for the metal , and if i can get a decent upgrade for mine .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

MonkeyHunter

posted on 16/2/05 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
Ok thanks, well let me know, U2U will prob be best. Wilwood do discs up to 331.7mm i think.... That should stop you in short order. Anything bigger than 300 wont fit under my wheels, and i certainly dont want to go bigger than 15" rims, as it will kill the performance.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.