Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tuneing potential 1.8 zetec
rich201283

posted on 23/2/05 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Tuneing potential 1.8 zetec

I have chance of a 1.8 zetec cheap
I really wanted the 2.0 zetec but aint came across one yet.
Does the 1.8 have much tuneing potential and what power will it produce

MikeR

posted on 23/2/05 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
i've heard some people prefer the 1.8 as it will rev better than the 2.0.....

no idea of potential tho.....

stressy

posted on 23/2/05 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
The 1.8 will make less then 2.0 for the same £.

I know of a couple of guys making an easy 150bhp and a couple with around 190, (not so easy).

I will have to ask to get exact specs and power but i think that its induction and cams to get the first step then add some head work for the next,

WHO DARES SPINS

garage19

posted on 23/2/05 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
i've heard some people prefer the 1.8 as it will rev better than the 2.0.....

no idea of potential tho.....

Utter crap I'm afraid. If you look at the 1.8 engine, ford have just decreased the bore size by 4mm or so. Makes for a very under square engine.

The 1.8, as all zetecs are fairly tunable. Stick some 2ltr cams in it (better profile), raise the CR up to 11:1 and add some throttle bodies and you are looking at about 160 bhp.

Bike throttle bodies and megasquirt n edis can be done for £300ish if you are careful.

1800s are sooo cheap these days (£50) that compared to a 2lt (£200ish) some times they make sense.

DC

MikeR

posted on 23/2/05 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know about Zetecs but i'm in an argumentative mood so ..........

surely if the piston is 4mm smaller, it weighs 4mm worth of material less, therefore assuming the crank and rods are the same then it has less mass & proportionally stronger rods so can rev higher...... therefore if it can breath can make more power (note, i'm not saying more than a 2l engine, just make more power)

(hmm, wondering if i'm confusing zetec with k series as that has a stroked crank on the 1.8 but i'm arguing the principle of what i've just said above anyway)

clbarclay

posted on 23/2/05 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure of upper limit of a 1.8 zetec, but 1.8 K series are capable of well over 200bhp, goodness only knows what it cost to get these kind of power increases.
MikeR

posted on 23/2/05 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
K series price is easy, speak to the master.....

www.dvapower.co.uk

zetec

posted on 23/2/05 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
I think you will find part for part the 2ltr gives about 7-10% more power, the other thing is it will give more torque which is the thing that will make it feel more powerful. That said if you can get a 1800 for a good price fit it and enjoy! I've heard from a few sources that Ford have a couple of hundred full 1800 engines to shift and are knocking them out to the trade for £475 which is silly money for a brand new complete engine!

You should be getting 150bhp without any internal mods from a 1800, 160 from 2ltr just by changing to webers or throttle bodies. Fit a performance cam and head and 2ltr will be at 200bhp, and will still be reliable.

[Edited on 23/2/05 by zetec]

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

MikeR

posted on 23/2/05 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
from watching the discussions between zetec and vx people on the westfield board, i thought you had to do a lot more to a zetec to get 200hp. i thought that was in the region of new rods, bolts, cams etc where as a VX is a lot less work.

(as before i know nothing on this subject just wildy quoting vague memories!)

NS Dev

posted on 23/2/05 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
Yes Mike, you are substantially correct there! The Zetec will make 200 hp (the 2 ltr one!) with std rods, pistons and crank, but will need cams, porting, valve seat work, rod bolts, plus decent (i.e throttle bodies or carbs) induction and decent exhaust manifold (good 4-1 or 4-2-1).

The vauxhall XE by comparison for the same power needs rod bolts (for safety!) and the induction and exhaust. In good nick they will then make 200 hp with no other mods at all. ( mine made 176 hp @ wheels, a little over 200 at the flywheel, internally std )

The K-Series is a different kettle of fish altogether, and one I know nowt about, but I see that with suitable mods they make plenty of power in a very light package, and as you say, Dave Andrews is the man to speak to if you don't feel like being ripped off!!

zetec

posted on 23/2/05 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
The big reason people go for zetecs is not that they are the best card in the "Top Trumps" pack, more the fact that they are available cheap and easy. Most will not need any machining so the cost saved on rebuilding can be spent on other parts. The Vx is a good engine, but both are yesterdays designs and are outclassed now by more modern engines which are lighter/more reliable/tuneable.
MikeR

posted on 24/2/05 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
another reason for the zetec is it will bolt up to the type 9 bell housing.
Stu16v

posted on 24/2/05 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zetec
The Vx is a good engine, but both are yesterdays designs and are outclassed now by more modern engines which are lighter/more reliable/tuneable.

And far more expensive to install...

I would argue the 'reliable' bit too. Zetec/VX powerplants have been used for some time now, and on the whole, have proved extremely reliable - with any weak points widely known and easily cured. Newer engines tend to be a bit of an (expensive) unknown quantity

[Edited on 24/2/05 by Stu16v]

Dont just build it.....make it!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.