Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: k series engine in a book chassis
steve m

posted on 24/2/05 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
k series engine in a book chassis

Hi

There must be someone who has stuck a rover k engine into a book chassis with ford running gear

at present the car running a 1700 xflow
(now deceased) and I am looking at bringing the car into the 1990-2000 bracket and not the 1960;s

main querys are
size (height is the main dilema)
flywheel and clutch assembley to fit a 4 or 5 speed ford box
starter motor
fueling, ie keep the injection setup ??
anything obvious that i have missed ?

ignition, exhaust manifold and the fitting etc are not a problem

zilspeed

posted on 24/2/05 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
Have you looked on blatchat ?

K series stuff often comes up for sale over there - the Caterham boys can't wait to upgrade.
Regards height of the engine - surely if it fits a Caterham :-)...

Cheers

John F
The world's newest and biggest K series fan

steve m

posted on 24/2/05 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the reply

problem is my car (pictured left) has a lower bonnett line than a caterham

as in my fantastic wisdom 8 years ago I made the car around a 1300 xflow
then after blowing that engine up I stuck a 1600 xflow in it, its a shame that the 1600 is 1.5 " taller !!!!!!!!!

i had to make numerous mods to get the thing in and retain the svelt lines

steve

Humbug

posted on 24/2/05 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
I am in the process of trying to get a K-series to fit in a Stuart Taylor. I went to Fisher Sportscars for the stuff to mate a Type 9 gearbox to the engine (bellhousing, clutch, starter, etc.).

My aim is to keep the fuel injection with the ECU. Fuelling I am trying to work out how to do (see other posts)

If you find out anything I'd be happy to swap what little knowledge I have with you

I would also recommend blatchat as a source of info and maybe parts.

Surrey Dave

posted on 24/2/05 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
If you search 'stressy' he's got one fitted , I did look at it but it's a bit of a squeeze height wise, and you may have to pay around £200 for a bellhousing, but the up side is it's aluminium and also the only engine that you can easily run the standard injection and ECU ,so should run nice and also be v.economical......
zilspeed

posted on 24/2/05 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Surrey Dave
also the only engine that you can easily run the standard injection and ECU ,so should run nice and also be v.economical......

Oh yes indeed - 'tis V. economical.

On our trip home the other day in the GTM, we used 30 quid of unleaded to cover the 400 miles. That was at Motorway prices. If my fag packet maths serves me well, that equals 50mpg - and we covered the 400 miles in exactly 6 1/2 hours including 3 short breaks of around 10 mins each.
So yes - 1400K series on standard injection is definitely cheap to run.

A truly cracking little motor

david cromie

posted on 24/2/05 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
k series

There is a MG Midget forum that will have all the answers to your questions. I thinf the firm spridget do the bellinghousings the clutch etc. I know this because I was going to fit the k-series into a Midget and had all the parts to do it, Sold the lot about 3 months ago David
James

posted on 25/2/05 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
Steve,

What about 4AGE. Everyone says they're a cracking motor and they're pretty small too IIRC.
Plenty of users here and around the place with them.

HTH,
James

[Edited on 25/2/05 by James]

clbarclay

posted on 25/2/05 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
4AGE looks quite a good upgrade, looked at it my self you just need a cheap toyota donor, can't find may gearboxs though what are people using. I've heard about T50 but what donor(s) will you find them on?
James

posted on 25/2/05 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
RWD Corollas have them (is that the T50?). Not sure what else but can't be *that* hard. I think Fin has three gearboxes for his so there may be a spare!

Cheers,
James

ned

posted on 25/2/05 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
raw i think it is will do a bellhousing, but don't know how much myself..

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 25/2/05 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
Apparently the K series can be mated to a V6 Type 9 (or V6 Mt75?) by a back plate adpator. The solving the starter and ring ger problem is another issue but it might be possible to use an X flow or Mini inertia starter. Clutch wise I would look at using a Sierra 192mm clutch as a starting point

Rover MEMS ECU issues are more involved because of the anti-theft system built into the mems ecu but some very early K16 engines had a conventional centrafugal electronic distributer (not sure if this was the same as the K8) and a single SU carb, this would make fitting twin 40dcoes easy.
Atertnatively fit an after market ECU firing the Rover injectors and fit the MG alloy throttle body for more power.

stressy

posted on 28/2/05 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Steve,

The k series is an excellent little engine although possibly not the easiest fit in a locost. The main problem is the height, it really comes down to how low ground clearance you are willing to go with. The tall regions are at the timing cover at the front , the air intake/ throttl body at the rear, and the tope edge of the plenum chamber, down the drivers side edge.

Caterham use a shallow sump and then run the engine quite low in the chassis (see the attached picture), they all too often grind of the leading edge still. Its worth noting that most caterhams run fairly small front end travel and antidive geometry which all helps control ground clearance as well.

As i have had issues with ground clearance in the past i run the engine quite high in the chassis which does mean you need a buldge or hightline bonnet to cover the tall areas.

Im not sure what the fit would be like with a standard placement ford 5 speed as mine is different.

on the other points:

You can either use a v6 or i4 type 9 gearbox and there are a few suppliers of bellhousings and clutches etc to choose from. You can either have a low mounted clutch arm (aka ford position) or a high mount (aka caterham). try fisher, caterham, bpj services and frontline spridget for starters. osyt can be used with a 1400 / 1600 size flywheel and ford clutch kit. you can use ford small bodied pinto starters but i thinkl these are often modified, again try the same suppliers. Some engines require modification to fit the spigot bearing to match a type 9.

The injection system is one of the k selling points so you do want to keep it (or upgrade it even), provided you match an ceu, flywheel, blippers and lucas 5as immobiliser unit then wiring an eu2 series engine is a doddle, i dont know much about the newer eu3's. Fuelling is quite straight forward.

If you have any questions just drop me a u2u and illbe happy to help, im currently getting some images together for another locoster which i will happily send you as well.

Cheers.

WHO DARES SPINS

stressy

posted on 28/2/05 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
image below: Rescued attachment DSC00351.JPG
Rescued attachment DSC00351.JPG

WHO DARES SPINS

DEAN C.

posted on 28/2/05 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Is the trainer stuck on as a cushioning device?
I wont say anything about K series anymore as it's well known i'm no lover of them,but I can see the logic if you get a good one.
I went for the 4age and I think it takes a lot of beating in lots of ways,and sounds a beautiful at 8000rpm .
Downside is of course findind a gearbox,or paying for a Raw adapter plate
If more power is needed then i'd look to a Vauxhall or Ford Zetec/Duratec,but dont underestimate the acceleration of the Toyota engine,it's bloody fast.
Guess which engine Mr MK is fitting into The NEW seven type car he is developing.
A 4age!!
I dont mean to knock your obviously well executed and neat conversion in way,it's nice to see all types of set ups and encourage everyone the same.

Once I've finished a project why do I start another?

stressy

posted on 1/3/05 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
Dean,

I agree the 4age is a nice peice of kit but it was just too expensive for what i was after when factoring in the induction and exhaust costs, that and the k are both revvy and light but the k is consderably better mpg for my usage and that means i get to enjoy more miles. Either engine is a good choice and they are both screamers as long as you look after the oil systems, ive seen a few of each go bang so far.

Happy locosting..

WHO DARES SPINS

DEAN C.

posted on 3/3/05 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
So have I,my 4age on its first outing!
Shes up and running again now though with new shells and a polished crank.
And more importantly a revised sump.

Once I've finished a project why do I start another?

stressy

posted on 4/3/05 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
Nice........

WHO DARES SPINS

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.