Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ride heigh - again!!!!!!!
MikeR

posted on 27/2/05 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
Ride heigh - again!!!!!!!

Daft question, how high is your chassis bottom rail from the floor between the front suspension mounts?

I keep seeing most peoples cars with appriximately level wishbones, this gives me about 4" of clearance between bottom rail and floor......... is that what others get?

GeoffT

posted on 27/2/05 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
I seem to be running my car higher than most people, something like 5.5 - 6 inches. I don't think this looks at all out of place (couple of carpic shots in my archive if you want to have a look), and gives far less hassle with speedbumps and the like. Still handles perfectly satisfactorily for road use.

pbura

posted on 27/2/05 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
The center of the lower balljoint should be about level with the center of wishbone bracket. Builders who lower their cars by inclining the wishbones are making a mistake, IMO. Better to use smaller wheels/tires or to raise the chassis brackets, so as not to mess with the suspension geometry.

Nice car, Geoff! What kind of seats are those?

Pete

Pete

MikeR

posted on 27/2/05 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
ie the wishbones are about levelish.......

which gives me ............

i've just figured it out.......... i'm pushing the car around the garage on 155 80 13's......

the car will run on 185 70 13's...... which will be a little bit taller and make the car run a little bit higher off the road

woohooo........... so any idea what the difference in height the two wheels will give?

Humbug

posted on 27/2/05 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
According to my trusty spreadsheet:

155/80/13 will give a total tyre diameter of 57.82cm
185/70/13 will be 58.92cm

The diameter will increase 1.10cm, so the increase in ride height will be half of that, or 0.55cm - a bit less than 1/4"!

[Edited on 27.02.2005 by Humbug]

[Edited on 27.02.2005 by Humbug]

GeoffT

posted on 27/2/05 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
(Quote)
Nice car, Geoff! What kind of seats are those?
(Quote)

Thanks Pete,

Can't give a really definitive answer I'm afraid, I bought them from a stand at one of our larger Kitcar shows (Stoneleigh) about three years ago. but they're not one of the bigname brands. They're actually a really good fit in the Locost chassis, narrow enough at the base to fit (just!), but with flared backrests to give a really comfortable seating position.

If anybody is interested I'll see if I can dig out the receipt and give you some better information.

britishtrident

posted on 27/2/05 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Regard 4" as minimum safe ground clearance for road use --- normally this means 5"+ under chassis rails, it also an idea to make the rear 0.5" higher than the front.

Set the lower wishbone pivots about 0.5" higher than the ball joints

Remember also your springs will settle due stress relaxation/redistribution so allow adjustment for this.

paulf

posted on 27/2/05 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Mines on 185 70 13s an the ride heightto the chassis is 5.5 inch front and 6.0 at rear, the wishbones are slightly lower at the wheel end and top ones slope down to the chassis slightly.
This seems a good compromise for speed bumps etc.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
ie the wishbones are about levelish.......

which gives me ............

i've just figured it out.......... i'm pushing the car around the garage on 155 80 13's......

the car will run on 185 70 13's...... which will be a little bit taller and make the car run a little bit higher off the road

woohooo........... so any idea what the difference in height the two wheels will give?

pbura

posted on 27/2/05 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GeoffT
If anybody is interested I'll see if I can dig out the receipt and give you some better information.

I've got seats, but I'm sure someone will be interested.

Very nice vintage look, thought they might have been from an older car

Pete

David Jenkins

posted on 28/2/05 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
If it's of any use, I have a Westfield build manual for the model that looks remarkably like Uncle Ron's creation...

They suggest 5.75" chassis to floor at the front, 6.25" at the back. This is pretty much what I've got, and it seems to work.

David

NS Dev

posted on 28/2/05 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
Mike, I will have around 5.5" under the chassis, probably +/- 0.5" on that each end (as post above) BUT under my sump will be much less, around 3.5".

I measured a mate's Tiger recently which he uses as an everyday (as in only!!) car and that has 65mm sump to road clearance!.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.