Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rover v8 Viscous coupling removal
Paul (Notts)

posted on 5/3/05 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
Rover v8 Viscous coupling removal

Just started stripping down a 1988 3.5 efi rover V8 engine, which I intend to rebuild.

I may be thick but I am puzzeled by How to remove the fan and Viscous coupling from the water pump.It appears to have a wound spring on the fromt of the viscous coupling and four bolts on the back which presumably hold the fan to the coupling.

How do I remove them from the pump????

Thanks

Paul

rusty nuts

posted on 5/3/05 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure but is there a large hexagon betwwen the 4 bolts and the viscous coupling? if so it has a left hand thread . If you don't intend using it again just put a bluntish chisel close to edge of hexagon and give it a sharp tap so that it rotates anticlockwise, this usually undoes viscous couplings .H.T.H. Rusty
mark_UK

posted on 5/3/05 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
If its the same set up as Fords theres a thin nut behind the viscous unit which needs a very thin,cranked spanner to undo, on fords its either 32 or 34mm cant remember which.Any car spares shop selling Laser brand tools should have one.

[Edited on 5/3/05 by mark_UK]

white130d

posted on 5/3/05 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
Yep

Unscrew the big nut behind the fan..and it is backwards threaded....

David

"There's only 2 things that money can't buy, and that's true love and home grown tomatos" Guy Clark

Paul (Notts)

posted on 5/3/05 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
How do i stop the pump turning wnen i do this

thanks

paul

Simon

posted on 6/3/05 at 12:28 AM Reply With Quote
Leave the fan belt on?

ATB

Simon

clbarclay

posted on 6/3/05 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
And if it then carries on turning push in on the fan belt to tighten the belts grip.

NS Dev

posted on 6/3/05 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Not sure but is there a large hexagon betwwen the 4 bolts and the viscous coupling? if so it has a left hand thread . If you don't intend using it again just put a bluntish chisel close to edge of hexagon and give it a sharp tap so that it rotates anticlockwise, this usually undoes viscous couplings .H.T.H. Rusty

Or just follow Rusty's advice above, this has worked every time I have done this on Fords and RWD Opels, usually frees with one sharp tap, even with no belt on at all.

[Edited on 6/3/05 by NS Dev]

wilkingj

posted on 6/3/05 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
I have just done this , and OFF the engine as well!..

You need the double ended Laser (make) cranked fan spanner, Its a LEFT HAND thread (Think first before undoing).

I have some bits of old seatbelt, I twisted it into like a rope, wound it round the pulley belt, then I twisted the two end round and round until it tightened on the pulley, then I put the twisted tail of the belts in the vice, tightened and twisted it up as tight as I could get it.
Then put the spanner on and clouted it with a heavy hammer.
This is easier if you are a freak or a Indian goddess, 'cos three or more hands are a definate advantage here.

Comes undone failry easily, but needs a good clout with the hammer. IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 6/3/05 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
Why buy a spanner you are likely to use once? bet you already have a bluntish chisel , I would expect to have undone a viscous coupling using this method before you have even found an old fan belt, seat belt or any other means of holding the pulley. One sharp tap is all it takes normally
Peteff

posted on 6/3/05 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
I belted mine with the chisel and broke the water pump end off. It's easy then, you just put the rotor in the vice, undo it and then buy a new water pump. I don't know what rover v8 ones cost but pinto ones are about £10.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

clbarclay

posted on 6/3/05 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
Should have used the chisel and bust the water pump whalst I was changing the viscos unit on family range rover, the water pump died only 100 miles later.

Diddn't need a special spanner for removing it, just an ordinary one. But then I do have a large selection of big spanners.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.