Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: The sillest idea yet?
DorsetStrider

posted on 8/3/05 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
The sillest idea yet?

ok I'm probably excelling myself here now.... but I was at work the other day and a thought struck me, always bad when that happens.

Now personally I don't like exhusts much as I think they tend to spoil the looks of the car..... but what if you made the exhust outlets into the body of the car?

Now this is where it gets silly (possibly) I'm building the bulk of the body from fibreglass anybody know what what temperature glass fibre melts/ignites? would fiberglass be ok in direct contact with the end of the exhust or would it just burn?

Any help/thoughts as always gratefully received.

Who the f**K tightened this up!

tom_loughlin

posted on 8/3/05 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
im pretty sure it wouldnt ignite, unless its not sured properly, as far as i know, fibreglass gets a charred appearance when hot and discolours - but plenty of preduction cars have enclosed exhausts in a fibreglass shell - took at the dodge viper and such like.
the fiero venom as well might if i remember correctly.
if you play your cards right, with some serious maths, you can even get an increase in speed and efficiency by venting them carefully, to reduce pressure differentials, but thats prob a bit extreme for this game.
all the best,
Tom

ady8077

posted on 8/3/05 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Its the resin that can catch fire, I'm on the sylva chat list and a couple of Fisher Fury's have been gutted by fire because the exhaust got to hot, they have the silencer in the side pod

You can get fire retardent resin, but I don't think many kit-car makers use it

Adrian

chriscook

posted on 8/3/05 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
I though most of the furys catching fire were because the exhaust mountings failed and the exhaust came into contact with the fibreglass.

I'm building a phoenix, which also has the exhaust in the sill, and intend to use some of the crinkly aluminium heat shield material on the inside.

kreb

posted on 9/3/05 at 12:10 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds pretty dicey - but so is the idea I had - to mount a turbo outside the body in the free air, then duct the outlet in to a large diameter tube frame - a la the Atom, then let the frame act as an intercooler.

https://www.supercars.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/1966_FiatAbarth_1000SP1.jpg

Hellfire

posted on 9/3/05 at 12:46 AM Reply With Quote
Motorbike silencers are made from Carbonfibre... aren't they? I bet those get very very hot!

Tralfaz

posted on 9/3/05 at 12:55 AM Reply With Quote
If you do a google search on fiberglass exhaust you should find information on fiberglass exhaust fittings used in the marine industry.

Not sure the specifics.

Brian

Dale

posted on 9/3/05 at 02:28 AM Reply With Quote
As it sits now my turbocharger is only an inch and a half from where the side skin is to be. I figure I will have a perferated stainless steel pannel there or louvered but I figured if the turbo glows then the glass would fail.
Dale

smart51

posted on 9/3/05 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
the dodge viper sills/side exhaust covers are deep drawn aluminium of a special high temperature alloy. only one company in the world can make parts big enough out of this material and so charge $1000 US each for them, so the guys in the viper factory told me. GRP is not the material to get hot.

If you put an air gap between the metal exhaust pipe and the GRP then you'll be much better off, especially if you line the GRP with a heat insulating material or you tape the exhaust in heat insulating tape.

nick baker

posted on 9/3/05 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
Exhaust Gasses for petrols are in the 800°C region.. There's a reason that Exhauts have copious amounts of heat-shielding.

You'd set the bodywork alight, or damage it beyond repair. Not only that, but you'd have to find a neat way of transferring the gasses into the fibreglass areas without leakage.... and THEN (and I thnk that this is the biggest point) you'd have to deal with the noise. It'd be absurdly loud, with teh entire body-work acting as a resonance-board.

Re: Moty-bike exhausts... In my experience, they are usually stainless, but wrapped in Carbon pre-preg cloth to make them look sexy... purely a gimmick.

With my project I'll be going for a side-exit. Sexy as hell, (in my opinion).

Peteff

posted on 9/3/05 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
stainless, but wrapped in Carbon pre-preg cloth

I have an ART carbon can in the shed and it's definitely a carbon tube. It has a perforated stainless inner with some wadding round it but only the endcaps are metal.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

ady8077

posted on 9/3/05 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

The last fury that burnt had its exhaust lagged, but the owner had missed covering the joint, this created a hot spot.

Most owners now line the inside of the sill with heat proofing and drill a row of 2" holes allong the underside of the sill.

On my Stylus I have cut an oval hole the shape of the silencer and let the silencer poke through slightly so its always in fresh air

Adrian

quote:
Originally posted by chriscook
I though most of the furys catching fire were because the exhaust mountings failed and the exhaust came into contact with the fibreglass.

I'm building a phoenix, which also has the exhaust in the sill, and intend to use some of the crinkly aluminium heat shield material on the inside.

DorsetStrider

posted on 9/3/05 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
told you it was a silly idea didn't I? oh well it was only a thought to take my mind off of work.

Who the f**K tightened this up!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.