Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: aw crap.. zetec crankshaft seal gone...........
givemethebighammer

posted on 21/3/05 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
aw crap.. zetec crankshaft seal gone...........

It was all going too well.

Went out for a thrash this evening after work. Got home and removed the bonnet to turn the main power switch off and there seemed to be a fine coating of oil on the engine block on the exhaust side inc water pump and bottom hose. So off came the nose cone, and cam covers. Oh crap the cam belt is contaminated with a fine film of oil, as is the alternator belt. The inside of the cam cover is also covered with a fine film of oil. Closer inspection leads me to believe that it is the crank shaft seal that is leaking (or could be the sump gasket [please])

So out with the haynes manual to see how to change the oil seal and ouch...

seems like I'm going to need

cam belt
alternator belt
oil pump gasket
crankshaft seal
sump gasket
cam cover gasket

plus something to clean the oil off the engine bay. The car has not lost very much oil at all, I guess it threw what it did around at high rpm.

I think I may use this opportunity to perhaps replace the oil pump and fit the ARP conrod bolts I have had sitting in a box for a while

anyone changed this oil seal before ? was it a right pig to do ?

thanks

I've just checked the Burton Power website for some prices:

BOTTOM END GASKET SET ZETEC E £27.18
OIL SEAL CRANKSHAFT FRONT ZETEC E £8.95
CAM COVER SEAL ZETEC E £10.95
CAM COVER BOLT O RING ZETEC E x 10 (£0.29 ea) £2.90
OIL PUMP: ZETEC E 16v, MONDEO TO 5/98 (STANDARD) £99.95
CAM BELT ZETEC E HEAVY DUTY-05/98 £23.95 (standard one was £19.95)
ALTERNATOR BELT (£4.95)

That’s £78.88 without a new oil pump, £178.83 with

(all include VAT)

I hope the local motor factor can get those prices down !

[Edited on 21/3/05 by givemethebighammer]

mookaloid

posted on 21/3/05 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
I find it is always checking your breathers before pulling the engine apart. Cleaning them has cured oil leaks on more than one occasion for me
shaywez

posted on 22/3/05 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
If it is the oil seal it isn't too difficult to change depending on how much room you have. You need to be carefull when driving out the old seal from the pump assembly (if you intend on using the same pump). The procedure is detailed quite well in the Mondeo Haynes manual, if you want let me know and i will scan it for you
rusty nuts

posted on 22/3/05 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
for cleaning off oil try brake cleaner. using a pump action spray like an old 1 litre garden spray. brake cleaner is also good for removeing some stains from upholstery etc
david walker

posted on 22/3/05 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't just dive in and replace the seal. Mookaloid is spot on with his advice to check breathers, if they are blocked or just inadequate crankcase pressure will relive itself whichever way it can at high revs. If it's the sump gasket it won't have found its way onto the belt.

I suggest you remove the belt cover (if you haven't already), clean all the belts , front of oil pump and the whole contaminated area with brake cleaner - use the aerosol spray type. You will require less than one can to do the job thoroughly. Run the engine up or take for a short drive, keep stopping and inspecting. If you have popped the crank oil seal then replace it but check/modify your breathing system otherwise the problem will return. Crank oil seals on Zetecs are usually good for the entire life of the engine.

I doubt the oil pump needs changing, they last forever, so waste of money probably. Have you got an oil pressure gauge? Is ther a lack of oil pressure?

Dave Walker, Race Engine Services - 07957 454659 or 01636 671277

givemethebighammer

posted on 22/3/05 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote
thanks

cleaned the belts and area around the front of the engine with brake cleaner tonight. Not loads of oil but a thin film on the front and bottom of the sump, alternator pulley and the outside of the cam belt closest to the engine. It all points to the crank shaft oil seal. The PCV breather under the exhaust manifold appears to be clear and the valve rattle when a shook it. However I cleaned valve and the box out with solvent just to be sure The cam cover breather is also clear. The oil catch tank had a dribble of water in the bottom of it. So the breathers are getting tha far at least.

Some good news is that I have managed to get the price of replacement parts down to about £70 AND won a new Ford oil pump on ebay for £16! So this could all cost less than I thought. (may not need replacing but at that price I'd be mad not to since the l'd pump has to come off anyway.)

Anyway the car is now clean so only a drive will tell if / where it is leaking from.

[Edited on 22/3/05 by givemethebighammer]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.