Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Gluing to fibreglass
Matthew_1

posted on 22/3/05 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
Gluing to fibreglass

Has anyone any handy hints for how to glue the non-gelcoat side (i.e. the rough side) of two bits of fibreglass together?

I've tried no-nails, and bathroom sealer/adhesive but it's not strong enough adn the parts pull apart easily. I guess the next thing to try is sikaflex, but I only have a tiny bit to glue and £8 a tube is a tad steep for an 8" long join!

Cheers

shortie

posted on 22/3/05 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
araldite maybe!
flak monkey

posted on 22/3/05 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
Araldite. Or buy yourself some fibreglass mat and resin (dirt cheap stuff)

Make sure its completely dust free (dust loves to get stuck in the rough side of FG). Wash it with meths or similar (not thinners as it can melt the resin (celly thinners will anyway)

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Peteff

posted on 22/3/05 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Use some body filler like Isopon or similar make. It works for me

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Triton

posted on 22/3/05 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
F/glass sticks like poo to a blanket when you don't want it to but when you do it will fall off unless you rough up the surface and clean it with acetone....not too much mind as it will attack it.....sikaflex is good but costs so use a cheapo Halfords f/glass kit
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Wadders

posted on 22/3/05 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
i'll second petes advice, although i tend to use the stuff for filling holes, looks like jam, with strands of fiberglass in it, most motor factors sell it. Stuck my bonnet scoop on with it, and so far its not flown over my head.

Al.

turbodisplay

posted on 22/3/05 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
that stuff is davids p60.

P45 (not the one you get when being fired) is the filler stuff.

Darren

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Avoneer

posted on 22/3/05 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
P40 is the stuff for the job.
Available from Halfwits.
Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

smart51

posted on 22/3/05 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
DON'T use araldite. Epoxy does not stick to Polyester. Use a polyester adhesive or a polyurethane adhesive - like epoxy but will stick to polyester.

Useful tip: If you want to make a mould for use with polyester - make it with Epoxy!

[Edited on 22-3-2005 by smart51]

Matthew_1

posted on 22/3/05 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers, I'll try the isopon, I've got a ton of that. Hadn't thought of it as an adhesive.
turbodisplay

posted on 22/3/05 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry i ment p 40 - should have looked by my foot- for some reason it is by the computer?????

Darren

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
David Jenkins

posted on 23/3/05 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
Don't forget to clean the area well, to get rid of any possible traces of release wax, grease or whatever. Wouldn't hurt to rub it down a bit with some wet-and-dry or wire wool as well, to give a key (the backside of GRP may be bumpy, but the surface is still quite shiny).

David

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.