Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Your SVA questions answered...
Sparky

posted on 12/11/02 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Your SVA questions answered...

Hi all. Back again after a short absence.

Long and short of it; I'm in the middle of a two-day MOT testers course. One of my fellow students is an SVA examiner from the Jupiter Road, Norwich test centre. He's there getting MOT authorisation as another string to his bow.

Well, does anyone have any questions that you'd like me to put to him? We had a long discussion about projections and noise tests, the merits of fitting windscreens and so on after the test etc...

I'll be in and out of here until 11:30 or thereabouts, so get your questions in tonight and I'll ask him tomorrow. He's a friendly guy (name of Les should you be a Norwich local) and he's very forthcoming with answers to all my daft questions.

Oh by the way, picked up my chassis, wishbones, ally tank and fibreglass parts from Luego at the weekend. I'm on the way!!!

The quality of the bits and pieces is excellent, and the guys are friendly but very busy.

Grant, you're a star!

Come on then, start thinkin'!!

Liam

posted on 12/11/02 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
OK - I got one...

I want to step off my side panels like this Dax Rush to give a nice engine bay bent, but mainly cos it looks cool. But would the edge of this panel fail an SVA on projections? Mine will have an exhaust either side too if that makes a difference.

Cheers

Liam

[Edited on 12/11/02 by Liam]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MK9R

posted on 13/11/02 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
Damn!!! I thought i was going to be the only one doing that!!! I'm going to make those door things aswell, may even build it into the chassis rather than them being removable!!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Sparky

posted on 13/11/02 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Liam.

Spent lunchtime asking Mr SVA your question, and a load more of my own.

As long as the 100mm SVA test sphere cannot contact a sharp edge on the step-off, or pass into the vent, there shouldn't be a problem. If it can contact any 'sharp' edges, they needs to have a 2.5mm radius. Depending on the gauge of your metal work, a simple return fold should take care of it. He couldn't think of any other reason for failure in that regard.

Hope that helps.

I spoke to him about exposed frontal projections, and the double gaitor method is the preferred one. I asked him about noise limits, and he mentioned the builder deciding the revs at which max power is achieved. As long as you're sensible with your 'half revs' statement, they'll accept what you say, and you should easily achieve your noise test pass.

They're also fully aware that we all fit screens and bias valves, stick-on plates and steering wheels with holes in the spokes once we get home. One Seven presenter even had his screen on the passenger seat when he turned up. It's what they test on the day.

Les invited me to get in contact when I'm close to completion and he'd arrange for me to watch a few tests to see what goes on. Nice guy.

Oh, and i passed my MOT exam. 100% score too!

As a side note, the arguement about no lights whatsoever is valid. A mention will be made on the MOT paperwork, but you will get a pass on a vehicle with no lights fitted. Just don't collect your car from the testing station after dark!

bob

posted on 14/11/02 at 12:27 AM Reply With Quote
I must admit i got loads more info by going to see theconrodkid take his car through SVA,if you know someone who is testing its well worth tagging along.

Although best to ask 1st,i'm hoping to go to at least one more test before i go through it myself.

Glad to hear the double gaiter idea is looked on as being OK,i'm going to have a go with convoluted tube over the track rod end and lock nuts.

David Jenkins

posted on 14/11/02 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sparky
I spoke to him about exposed frontal projections, and the double gaitor method is the preferred one.

What's the 'double gaitor method'? Just wondering, as I'm currently working in that area.

cheers,

David

Highcost builder

posted on 14/11/02 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
passed your MOT exam!!

well done mate, does that mean that you are now able to stick great big screwdrivers into cills and charge £400 to weld a plate over the hole you made?
Alan B

posted on 14/11/02 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
Nah, just 350 until probation period is over

yes, well done....

Alan B

posted on 14/11/02 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins

What's the 'double gaitor method'? Just wondering, as I'm currently working in that area.

cheers,

David

David, could it be this? or have I been in Florida too long?

bob

posted on 14/11/02 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote

cheers,

David

David

Its where the gaitor on steering rack ends and we used to cover the T/Rod end and nut with pipe lagging.
Evidently this is not suitable now so another gaitor seems to do the trick,like i said earlier i'll have a go with some split convoluted tube.

[Edited on 15/11/02 by bob]

David Jenkins

posted on 15/11/02 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alan B

David, could it be this? or have I been in Florida too long?

Alan, you know what they say - "everyone hates a smart-arse!"

(made me smile, tho')

David

philgregson

posted on 15/11/02 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
I'm probably being stupid but I can't quite see how you would fix the other gaitor neatly - or indeed in anyway that makes it better than a piece of pipe lagging. In fact a piece of pipe lagging would offer much more protection I would have thought.

Do they seriously think that although we might remove pipe lagging we would baulk at removing some tatty bodged on gator?

Anyone got a picture? (of a double steering gaitor arangement!!)

Cheers

Phil

David Jenkins

posted on 15/11/02 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
I also would like to see a picture.

Ta,

David

bob

posted on 15/11/02 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
DOUBLE STEERING GAITOR

It was posted on this site by sonebody after their 1st SVA test,since they do not or are not accepting the pipe lagging effort that we would all use.
The examiner said that the extra gaitor would be acceptable,i too think it would look stupid but its all about passing the test.
When i get hold of a digi camera i'll post what the convoluted tube looks like on the car,IMO it will look better than another gaitor.

theconrodkid

posted on 15/11/02 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
my stupid question is can i use 4 small spot lights for headlights ,some new cars audi i think have them and they look so damm sexy
charlie

posted on 15/11/02 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
I believe you can use as many lights as you want for main beam, as long as they all extinguish (sorry about the spelling) when dipped beam is selected.
bob

posted on 15/11/02 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
I think the time limit on these questions has expired since sparky has now finished the course.

And well done to sparky for passing the exam.

theconrodkid

posted on 15/11/02 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
DOH!!!
Alan B

posted on 16/11/02 at 01:45 AM Reply With Quote
Small lights

Conrod, do you mean these...

http://www.susquehanna.com/susq/hella/90mm.htm

Or do you know smaller?

theconrodkid

posted on 16/11/02 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
thats the boys,wonder how cheap they are?
bob

posted on 16/11/02 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
John

I'm pretty sure you can get them from a shop in bedfont called Ashford Car Radio(ACR Staines).

Its where i got my durite dip sender and gauge,they stock Hella lights among others.

theconrodkid

posted on 16/11/02 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
i used to deal with them when they had a branch near here not a bad bunch of lads
macspeedy

posted on 7/1/03 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
lights

I have been looking for small lights for ages with out going into the realms of gass discharge this site is where an american wcm ultralite gets their lights from, only prob you'll have to order from america, they pass the sva due to being "e11" marked not sure about dipped, check out their web site the pics look great, keep us posted as to how you are getting on!!

http://www.pilotautomotive.com/pilot2ae4.htm

Northy

posted on 9/1/03 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone got a picture of the double gator method then?

Thanks

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

Mark Allanson

posted on 9/1/03 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
I noticed at the Exeter show that many manufacturers were using brake slave cylinder dust covers over the lock nut on the track rod ends, looked really neat.

They were also using steering rack gaiters over the fwd upper wishbone member, looked really shoddy!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.