Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: which tool to use?
paul_mcq

posted on 5/4/05 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
which tool to use?

hows it going? i have a problem with tool choice. i need a good powerful drill or dremile type thing for porting and poslishing. wat would be the best optiion for that job and wat bits and were to get. plz get back to this. cheers. later
flak monkey

posted on 5/4/05 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
I got a dremel type tool from B&Q a couple of years back (i think it was about £20). Their own make. Its got a flexible shaft and comes with quite a few bits and peices. The upside is that its 200Watts (variable speed too) and is mains powered (no transformer like other dremels). I dont know what it would be like for porting, but its definately a good dremel style tool.

You can get flexible shafts to attach to proper power drills if you want more power.

Air powered die grinders are what are normally used for porting and polishing, they will remove material very quickly. But they arent cheap!

Cheers,
David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

clbarclay

posted on 5/4/05 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
For port grinding you can get various shaped ginding stones that will fit into any drill chuck. cheap and very chearful.

posted on 5/4/05 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
Hi.

IMHO dremels are not quite man enough.

Drills are a bit bulky and don't spin fast enough.

Air die grinders are best, but need loads of air.

Any of these will do the job though.

As for what to put in them.....

FLAPPERS.

Paul G Rescued attachment flappers 004s.jpg
Rescued attachment flappers 004s.jpg

paul_mcq

posted on 5/4/05 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
do u think this would be able to do the job? found it in my garage, it's 140w and goes upto 27000rpm from 8000let me now. cheers for the info so far
tool
tool

RogerM

posted on 5/4/05 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
It would work, sort of ... take hours, constantly glaze the stones due to not being able to put much/any load on them or you'll slow the grinder to the oint it doesn't work/blows up.

Air die grinders the only way to go ..... ne LOADS of air though but will do a good job.

Be careful .... not easy to put material back and there are some engines out there with ports that are too big to start with!!!!

MkIndy7

posted on 5/4/05 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
After buying a couple of the cheep £20 ish tools of this type and them not lasting long we chanced up on Black and Decker RTX rotary tool.

http://www.blackanddecker.com/productguide/ProductDetail.aspx?PID=2533&RHID=17&P=ProductDetail.aspx&ATT=AttachmentDetail.aspx&ACC=Acce ssoryDetail.aspx&ACS=AccessoySet.aspx&R=ProductListByType.aspx

Sorry can only find it on their US website.
We got ours from a large ASDA and it had a 2year Guarantee for around £35 it has broken 1ce but was something simple and was changed no questions asked.

Used it on the Cylinder Head, clening rust etc, was invaluable!

Avoneer

posted on 5/4/05 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Thats the tool you want - the one you got - with those little rubber black drums with sandpaper on them. That's what a friend of mine uses to port his heads and he has done quite a few.
Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Cousin Cleotis

posted on 5/4/05 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
what engine is it? ali or iron head? aluminium will clog up a gringing stone so its best to use a carbide burr, plenty on ebay cheap, but they remove material very quick. snap on are discontinueing alot of air tools at the moment, my die grinder was about £50 full price a year ago, if you local snap on man is anygood they should be half that.

Paul

paul_mcq

posted on 5/4/05 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
the head is a mini 1275. cheers for all the help and advise
Kitlooney1000

posted on 5/4/05 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
I used a 2 speed dremel for porting my crossflow head, Started with Grinding stones and finished with coarse flap wheels. Worked ok, took aged though, managed one port per evening. didnt bother with the polishing bit, if the finish is too smooth the fuel runs down the sides and makes the engine run funny, the rougher the sides the better the turbulation to mix the fuel and air.

Doesnt matter what Sh*t life throws at you, there is always some other poor bugger worse off!!!!!

NS Dev

posted on 6/4/05 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
Right, I have done a few heads and the best tool in my opinion is a long nose Electric die grinder. It doesn't freeze your hands, it's quiet and doesn't run the compressor flat out, all of which an air one will.

This is what I use, a Makita variable speed one, which allows me to turn the speed down for polishing without destroying the sanding rolls.

For ally heads I use carbide cutters with WD40, followed by spira band sanding rolls to finish, and for cast Iron I use 1" ball or cylinder stones in the grinder followed by the spira bands again to finish.

owelly

posted on 11/4/05 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
I would just use a MG Metro head and dowel the manifolds to the head and not touch the ports unless you have oversize valves.....

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.