Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: paddle change
dads7

posted on 12/4/05 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
paddle change

Is anyone out there using a paddle change? If so have you used a kit and where can I get one from? How reliable is it? I know that I'm always asking questions but I've only just started!!!!!
ChrisGamlin

posted on 12/4/05 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Stuart Taylor do one, as do Kit Car Workshop I think (and probably MK etc too), probably worth giving them a call.

OX

posted on 12/4/05 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
a few of us have made our own ,heres how i did mine paddle change but if you want something less agricultural then buy one

phil_far

posted on 13/4/05 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
I bought mine paddle shift from a guy named Henry Carr. Its a simple push-pull system and uses a lever (similar to Dax's Cow-horn design) behind the sterring wheel some small spherical bearings and a 'flexible solid metal cable' that is similar to those found on a $100,000 Sunseeker power boats to control the throttle etc..
It is very simple and the total kit with all the stuff weighs at just 1.2kg. I do not know if he still makes them but to have an idea in how it looks like visit this web site www.best-guess.co.uk and go through his 2004 build diary as this guy used one. My car is not on the road yet but general impression is very good. I can e-mail you his address if you want to. Price was very reasonabel as well!

Philip

Coose

posted on 13/4/05 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look here at mine (at the bottom of page 1)....

http://www.ne7ers.co.uk/modules.php?set_albumName=albun01&op=modload&name=Gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

I have a luvly CNC machined ali paddle to go on once I get around to it - the steel one was knocked up to get it going!

Spin 'er off Well...

andy d (rizla)

posted on 13/4/05 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
you could always get one of these,then make paddles to operate the buttons

http://www.kliktronic.co.uk/

thats my intention

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dads7

posted on 14/4/05 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
cheers lads
I think I'm going to try rizla's electro-mechnical idea, can it be used with a clutchless electronic up/down shift kit

locoboy

posted on 14/4/05 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
[Quote]Originally posted by dads7
cheers lads
I think I'm going to try rizla's electro-mechnical idea, can it be used with a clutchless electronic up/down shift kit

Why?

Its all just extra weight and electrical headaches.

a simple manual paddle shift will be more reliable and you will be able to 'feel' for those potentially tricky 'selecting neutral or 1st' moments!.

ATB
Locoboy

Aloupol

posted on 14/4/05 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
One more step guys..
What about the combined clutch action at downshift to allow left foot braking?
For me there are only two options:
- Vintage: classic gear stick and 3 pedals.
- Modern : paddle or electric shift with 2 pedals.
I don't see any interest in a paddle shift if I still have to use this old fashioned clutch pedal...

dads7

posted on 14/4/05 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
that's what I am trying to achieve. I don't think the kit that Rizla is suggesting would be too complicated looks like a solenoid or linear actuator to me this has to lighter than a mechanism (less moving parts)????
Wouldn't you still need a clutch pedal to start and stop or am I being thick again

locoboy

posted on 14/4/05 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
I think you will find that cutchless upshifts are ok but downshifts are a no no.

You will still need a clutch pedal for stopping and starting unless you want to trash your gearbox before you manage to get it off the driveway.

ATB
Locoboy

MarkClow

posted on 14/4/05 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phil_far
I bought mine paddle shift from a guy named Henry Carr. Its a simple push-pull system and uses a lever (similar to Dax's Cow-horn design) behind the sterring wheel some small spherical bearings and a 'flexible solid metal cable' that is similar to those found on a $100,000 Sunseeker power boats to control the throttle etc..
It is very simple and the total kit with all the stuff weighs at just 1.2kg. I do not know if he still makes them but to have an idea in how it looks like visit this web site www.best-guess.co.uk and go through his 2004 build diary as this guy used one. My car is not on the road yet but general impression is very good. I can e-mail you his address if you want to. Price was very reasonabel as well!

Do you have Henry Carr's email or web address? I am very interested in this....

Thanks!
Mark

tks

posted on 14/4/05 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote

Well

in fact i'm making

a 2 foot system

my clutch a hydro one is gonna be actuated by electrics..

the clutch pedal is going to stay where it is just electrical version..

and is for going to 1st gear..

after that you don't need it anymore
(in fact its there for feeling)

When it works i will post..how i did it

TKS

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

andy d (rizla)

posted on 14/4/05 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
the klicktronic can be used up and down the box without using the clutch it has the gizmos to do that as a option
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andy d (rizla)

posted on 14/4/05 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote from the web site faq section

Q: Can I use the Kliktronic with an ignition interrupt system?

A: Yes, the unit is compatible with all popular interrupt systems, in particular we recommend the Techtronics system which can be triggered directly from our buttons using an additional module.

dads7

posted on 14/4/05 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
cheers Andy have you got the system running yet? I have read about the techtronics system and down changes sounds spot on to me.
Had a laugh at the links on your site too posted most of them round work in a feeble attempt to gain friends and influence people

subk2002

posted on 15/4/05 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
How much is the kliktronic set up ?
andy d (rizla)

posted on 15/4/05 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
under £500
jambojeef

posted on 15/4/05 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
made this today!

Gonna run it and maybe add some electronic stuff later - always got a back up if something fails miles from home!

Might cut it in half and and a removable top section for when the lectrics work!

[Edited on 15/4/05 by jambojeef] Rescued attachment gearstick.JPG
Rescued attachment gearstick.JPG

ChrisGamlin

posted on 15/4/05 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
That'll keep the wife happy

jambojeef

posted on 15/4/05 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
he he he!

Cant say that I made it with her enjoyment in mind more mine! Wonder what that says about my subconscious!

A little test for you Chris....!

http://web.tickle.com/tests/inkblot/authorize/register.jsp?url=/tests/inkblot/index.jsp

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.