Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mid-engined Stuart Taylor
Humbug

posted on 20/4/05 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Mid-engined Stuart Taylor

I was just in the garage taking some pictures of the engine in the bay and I realised that I have a mid-engined car!

It's a Stuart Taylor, and the whole of the engine is clearly behind the front axle... therefore it's a middy?

Rescued attachment DSC00323.JPG
Rescued attachment DSC00323.JPG

phelpsa

posted on 20/4/05 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, this makes most front engined BECs very well balanced!

Adam

[Edited on 20-4-05 by phelpsa]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alan B

posted on 20/4/05 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Er....no.

Mid-engined is between the axles, but BEHIND the driver.

Some people call the seven configuration "front-mid", but that's b o l l o c k s IMO....front is front is front.....

Of course that doesn't mean to say you don't have good weight distrubition, handling etc.

[Edited on 20/4/05 by Alan B]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
spunky

posted on 20/4/05 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
there is a Stuart Taylor middy.

Mine...

The reckless man may not live as long......
But the cautious man does not live at all.....

Alan B

posted on 20/4/05 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Yes indeed.....engine behind the driver, but ahead of the rear axle = mid-engined.

Purely an engine position relative to the driver designation.

Rorty

posted on 21/4/05 at 04:16 AM Reply With Quote
What about Dennis Palatov's cocktail? Is it not mid-engined?

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

stressy

posted on 21/4/05 at 06:53 AM Reply With Quote
top job humbug

I see shes in then.

How far is the bellhousing/engine joint from the footwell bulkhead?

WHO DARES SPINS

Alez

posted on 21/4/05 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
While on this topic, do you know where the centre of gravity of the engine is located in a typical car? I think it's a bit in front of the front axle for most cars? How about car engined Sevens? And BMWs? (Which have the front axle at their very front.)

Cheers,

Alex

kb58

posted on 21/4/05 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
Ask the question again in a different way, I'm not sure I understand.

The CG of the *engine* is usually approximated by just looking at it.

OTOH if you're asking how to find the CG of the entire car, you can do it with a spreadsheet during design, which is a really good idea. Or, you can do it afterwards with scales.

If you're asking where the CG "typically" is, you can guess just by looking at it, but in the case of a Seven, it'll be just slightly forward of half-way between the axles.

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

ned

posted on 21/4/05 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kb58
but in the case of a Seven, it'll be just slightly forward of half-way between the axles.

unless you have a light engine and a full cage fitted, then it can be slightly towards the rear

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

Alez

posted on 25/4/05 at 06:50 AM Reply With Quote
Hi, I really meant what I asked, I guess you can tell the CG of an engine by looking at it, my question is about the location of the engine in a typical front engine car with respect to the front axle. I think they are normally located a bit in front of the axle, but I'm not sure. They are quite behind in Sevens. I'm sure that changes handling and weight distribution quite a lot. I was thinking about the "bad" reputation front engined cars have dynamics-wise and how Sevens and others are very different on that respect.

Cheers,

Alex

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.