Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ruddy ford wheel studs
NS Dev

posted on 20/4/05 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
Ruddy ford wheel studs

just had a crap couple of hours getting naff all done on the car due to stupid problems!

Does anybody know if there are two different shank diameters available on ford wheel studs?

I need longer ones to suit my peugeot wheels and ordered some from Rally Design. Tried to pull the first one in tonight with no joy. on inspection the splined shank on it appears to be 9/16" whereas the std sierra and cortina ones are 1/2".

I thought all the ford ones were 1/2" shank on the metric M12 studs, so what's going on!!!!!!!!

Also found that one of the slider pins on my XR 4x4 rear calipers is bent!!!!!!!!!!!1 God knows how (I certainly didn't do it!!) but I now need a new one!!!!! Anybody got a spare that they can post to me before I give in an get a brand newun from Ford!

big_wasa

posted on 20/4/05 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
I have the pug 205 alloys and have used the studs from the latter fords ie mondeo/focus ect I was told at the locall ford dealership they all had the same part number so must be the same.....Changed all mine due to a bad quick fit experiance ie the bloody wheel fell of The studs cost me 80p each

How/what nuts are you using??????
They have no steel inserts for the normal cone nuts ..so I have recessed the hole and used the flat type alloy nut used on the capri....But it did mean drilling the alloy out a bit....................

[Edited on 20/4/05 by big_wasa]

NS Dev

posted on 20/4/05 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
The studs that I got from Rally design were also 80p each, but it looks like 16 x 80p down the drain!!!!! The ones you got would be 1/2" shank (the splined bit) but I need long studs to accomodate the wheel, brake disc and "fully penetrate the wheelnut" (as req by SVA) on the rear hubs. For some reason rally design have sent me studs which are fine in terms of length and thread, but have a 9/16" shank instead of 1/2" Confused Nat!!!

I am planning to countersink the holes in the Pug wheels to take the std ford tapered nut. I will then use spigot rings to centre them on the hubs (bore dia bigger on the pug wheel than the ford) (have done it this way before funnily enough on a white sierra!!!!! used for road rallies though!)

ady8077

posted on 20/4/05 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Can't help with sizes, but as your location says Leics, Graham Goodes used to keep longer studs on the shelf, I bought some last year

Adrian

big_wasa

posted on 20/4/05 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
I was told NOT to countersink the holes as the alloy was not designed to be loaded in this way and that there is a strong pos of the wheel splitting or cracking...Im told that the ford ect rims have steel inserts to spread the load...The capri nuts could even be trimmed (This was sujested after I drilled the wheel) and still seat flat and square to the rim......The studs I have are more than long enough ,and are longer than Sierra and much longer than the Cortina ones...............

I may be wrong and often are

bigandy

posted on 20/4/05 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
What size studs are fitted as standard to a Ford Sierra (spline diameter , thread and length)? Just wondering.

Also, would it not be sensible to just use the right wheel nuts to suit the alloy wheel, instead of butchering the wheels/nuts to fit?

Cheers
Andy

Dammit! Too many decisions....

Rorty

posted on 21/4/05 at 03:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
Does anybody know if there are two different shank diameters available on ford wheel studs?

on inspection the splined shank on it appears to be 9/16" whereas the std sierra and cortina ones are 1/2".

I thought all the ford ones were 1/2" shank on the metric M12 studs, so what's going on!!!!!!!!

According to the factory drawing I have here beside me, the Ford stud shank has a base diameter of 12.52 - 12.58mm and the 32-spline has a diameter of 13.15mm +/- .05.
To help identify it, the head diameter is quoted as 18.8-19mm and the head thickness is quoted as 4.2mm.
That may or may not help.
Would Rally Design have given you the wrong studs by mistake?

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NS Dev

posted on 21/4/05 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers Rorty,

just checked and the sierra ones that I am taking out are indeed 12.58mm base diameteron the shank.

The ones I have to replace them are are just under 12mm on the base diameter but 14.4mm major diameter on the splines??????????? I guessed that this is actually an interference fit in a 9/16" hole, so unless some ford uses these then I have no idea what rally Design have supplied. Will give them a call as soon as they are open!

big_wasa

posted on 21/4/05 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Also, would it not be sensible to just use the right wheel nuts to suit the alloy wheel, instead of butchering the wheels/nuts to fit?

No because the pug has studs not nuts.

Rorty

posted on 21/4/05 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
quote:

No because the pug has studs not nuts.

I would go even further than that; why not fit the Peugeot studs and nuts, even if it means re-drilling the hubs?

Cheers, Rorty.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NS Dev

posted on 21/4/05 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
I was told NOT to countersink the holes as the alloy was not designed to be loaded in this way and that there is a strong pos of the wheel splitting or cracking...Im told that the ford ect rims have steel inserts to spread the load...The capri nuts could even be trimmed (This was sujested after I drilled the wheel) and still seat flat and square to the rim......The studs I have are more than long enough ,and are longer than Sierra and much longer than the Cortina ones...............

I may be wrong and often are

Hmmm, interesting. I certainly take the point on the conical inserts. We never had any probs before BUT....... any ideas on a good cheap source for the capri wheelnuts?? Rally Design don't seem to do them as far as I can see.

On the conical inserts front, ford "ghia" (XR4x4) type wheels have no inserts in them, but have got a conical steel washer attached to the wheelnut.

Rorty

posted on 21/4/05 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
Are Mr. Lugnut products available in the UK anymore? If so, I can give you part numbers which may make sourcing them easier rather than ringing around asking for Capri nuts etc.

Cheers, Rorty.

phelpsa

posted on 21/4/05 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
There are a few people who do bolt - stud conversions for peugeots so surely they must have the correct nuts aswell??

Adam

Marcus

posted on 21/4/05 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
Another source for nuts is Trackstore. Seem cheap

Marcus

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.