Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: chassis dimension relevance
jollygreengiant

posted on 22/11/02 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
chassis dimension relevance

Ok so we had the can of worms opened on which chassis is best for a newbie. However there is one other direction that I would like to approach this subject from.
Being inherently lazy I'd rather not build my own chassis unless I have to, I must, therefore, consider prebuilt Chassis's. Unfortunately for me, size is quite important. By this I mean the dimension from B1 To C as reguards to seating clearance.
Being slightly on the tall side (6ft 4in) with a reasonably long inside leg measurement (34in) and size 12 feet doesn't help matters. (Hence the logon name). A little while ago I had the misfurtune of having to MOT test a D*X cRUSH. That experience put me instantly of the idea of buying a D*X chassis.
So I thought about building the Locost.
Now I could build some extra length into the Chassis if necessary, But if I could buy one off-the-shelf then that would be great. But there is no point me considering one that I just won't get into. So your input would be most welcome before I start having to cut & weld metal.

Oh & I will be using Sie**a running gear.

JohnLocost7

posted on 22/11/02 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
I'm 6ft 4in with size 12 feet and I fit in to my stand size car no problems.

I fitted floor mounted pedal box which helps with the size 12's.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jasper

posted on 22/11/02 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
I'm 6'2" with size 11 feet. I extended my footwell into the engine bay by about 4" at the top, so my top mounted pedals have got more room. Perfect fit. However I've got a bike engine which means I can extend the footwells as much as I like.
Liam

posted on 22/11/02 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
I went to the NEC motorshow with my 6'7 mate. It was very interesting evaluating cars from his perspective cos at 5'5 size never comes into it for me. You wouldn't believe some of the stuff he cant fit into - mainly on account of head room. Most laughable was the Honda NSX roadster (no roof) - his head was the highest point by a good 3-4 inches.

Anyway, I digress. Shock of the day was that as well as a Smart Car, he fit into...a C****ham. Was the wide version but even that is probably no bigger than a standard Locost. So I reckon you ought to fit no problem in a standard chassis.

Oh yeah - just remembered - my mates car was standard size and he must be about 6'3. Room to spare...

Liam

[EDIT] Bugger, forgot to censor the C word - hope nobody's kiddies saw it. Jollygreen, I think we're allowed to use D*X uncensored in here - I know i do. What's the official line on that anybody

[Edited on 22/11/02 by Liam]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jollygreengiant

posted on 23/11/02 at 12:20 AM Reply With Quote
chassis dimension relevance

Thanks for your input lads much appreciated. I guess I'd better make my choice & pay the (shh here come the wife).

Anyone got one on the go in the Rushden area? (Northants).

(even worse my son wants to join in).

Liam

posted on 23/11/02 at 12:44 AM Reply With Quote
I'm just down the A6 in Bedford. About to fully weld my chassis.

Liam

[Edited on 23/11/02 by Liam]

interestedparty

posted on 23/11/02 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
I'm 6'4". and have tried a number of different cars. What I have found is that anecdotal evidence of whether or not a person of given height will fit a given car isn't enough. People's proprtions vary, a friend of mine, same height as me, whenever I sat in his car I had to adjust the rear view mirror. Reason being, my legs are longer than his.
Another important factor, leg folding room. Entering a seven style car can be difficult for a tall person because, even if there is enough legroom, he might not be able to get his knees under the steering wheel/ dash area while entering.
Only answer, anyone in doubt must try out a car of the desired design for themselves

John

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

stephen_gusterson

posted on 24/11/02 at 12:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jollygreengiant
Thanks for your input lads much appreciated. I guess I'd better make my choice & pay the (shh here come the wife).

Anyone got one on the go in the Rushden area? (Northants).

(even worse my son wants to join in).

Paulf on here is in Rothwell and I am in Kettering.

ATB

Steve

matt@teamturtle

posted on 26/11/02 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
I'm in Rushden.
stephen_gusterson

posted on 26/11/02 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
never mind hey!

No really

I originally came from Barnet - the team rushden and diamonds FC kciked out of the third division.

On the great day I actually get to paint my car, I will probably get the paint from Avenue Panel. If you havnt sussed them yet, Corus steel on finedon Road ind est can sell you steel - unless you are past that point. Not the cheapest tho - AH Allen seemed to be.

atb

steve

Steve Bird

posted on 26/11/02 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, I am in Irthlingborough, corus are really expensive on steel, the best place to go is H.T.Bilson in Kettering. Their stock range on the lightweight stuff isn't huge but should have most stuff you need for the car.
Corus quoted me £51.12 +vat for 16g steel for the floor.
Bilsons list price £18.65 +vat
That's for a 2500mm x 1250mm sheet

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.