Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Aerosol on bonfire
flak monkey

posted on 3/5/05 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
Aerosol on bonfire

If you ever wondered what would happen if you didnt take notice of those warnings that say 'do not incinerate' look here:

http://z.wimp.com/v/hairspray.wmv

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 3/5/05 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
as a youngster i became quite familiar with this concept, cept we used to make aerosol cannons by setting a fire in concrete bore holes in a local fort and placing the cans in the tube with a cricket ball round on top very very dangerous but spectacular

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

zilspeed

posted on 3/5/05 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
Mere playthings.....

Our favourite was having our bonfire lit and then chucking on a fully inflated wheel and tyre.
In addition and for maximum effect it was also consider de riguer to err.... missapropriate an old earthmover tyre from the local quarry. This was used as a sort of eco-madness centre piece around which everything else would be piled.

You knew that your bonfire had been worth the effort if it was a topic of conversion at school the followng day. Especially from those who lived 5 miles away.

Ahh..... black smoke - them was the days etc...

gazza285

posted on 3/5/05 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
Bit like leaving a neally full tin of WD40 on the fabrication bench at work, next to where I was ark welding up some brackets. I finished the welding and moved the electrode to my side, touched the can (earthed through the bench) and blew a little hole in the side of it. Warmed the shop up a treat those flames.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 3/5/05 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
Years ago one of my mates nicked some of those red caps they used to strap to railway lines and threw them into the bonfire. It was spread over about 200 yards very soon after and the police turned up to see what was happening

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

clbarclay

posted on 3/5/05 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure how full that areosol was, but a neighbour put a box of used aresols on a bonfire, not as explosive but gave regular loud bangs for about 15 minuits.

When helping out at a scout group bonfire, after all the public had been and gone, from the bonfire there came flying/exploding projectiles firing in all directions. It turned out afterwards one of the leaders had put on a box of presumed defunct fire works.:

Good job no one was near the fire at the time.

[Edited on 3/5/05 by clbarclay]

phelpsa

posted on 3/5/05 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm, remember the aerosole flame throwers!!

Adam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 3/5/05 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
oh yes wd40 smells the best

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

drmike54

posted on 3/5/05 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Boys and fire. My brothers and I used to boil wax in a fire and pour water in it. Nice big fireball. Once we set the grass on the side of the freeway on fire. We managed to beat it out with my brothers coat. I don't know why our mother didn't wonder why he came home without a coat.

Started Welding the chassis!!!!

bigbriglasgow

posted on 3/5/05 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
just reading this and was wondering if they had invented tyres when u were at school Zil or r u talking about the iron ring coming off the wooden cartwheel??

Te he he

Sorry but could not resist that

Brian

coz its a bit of an animal

zilspeed

posted on 3/5/05 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Mm Hmmm.

Just keep it up like that.........

flak monkey

posted on 3/5/05 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phelpsa
Hmm, remember the aerosole flame throwers!!

Adam

Yes that was a common lunchtime favourite. The other being writing rude words on the desk in deoderant and setting fire to it. (You got to be quick though).

As a matter of interest Halfords bike cleaner/lubricant spray burns well, so well infact you cant see the flame....

Zil....we had a few instances of people putting old TV's and wheels on bonfires, both of which make nice loud bangs

David

[Edited on 3/5/05 by flak monkey]

Sera

clbarclay

posted on 3/5/05 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Chris's Dad says..........
Does anyone remember those brown glass 2 pint cider flagons with a screw stopper? 1/3 full of water and then tightly stoppered. Put on bonfire and retire to a safe distance. Bang heard a mile or more away and pieces of glass blown 2" into nearby tree trunks.

zilspeed

posted on 3/5/05 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
See - we made good use of our time. Life threatening madness involving fire and explosion.
That's what the kids need nowadays.

**Disclaimer**
I in no way condone illegal or ill considered activities involving fire, flamable liquids or sealed containers of any description. Kids - don't do it. It's stupid....

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 4/5/05 at 01:03 AM Reply With Quote
Brake fluid and pool chlorine chucked in a glass coke bottle dropped gently into a pipe with the end sealed and a shed load of marbles stones and other missiles including the rotten plums and grapes from the fruit trees in our yard dropped on top in the bazooka.! Better was sugar and fertilizer..............lol seemed to pay attention in the chemistry lab......

The poor neighbours lol the one who always complained got his swimming pool loaded with five litres of concetrated detergant called tepol. Two acres of bubbles six feet deep........lol

Rorty

posted on 4/5/05 at 05:23 AM Reply With Quote
I used to make gun cotton and blow up anything I thought would look good in pieces. I also remember the bore of an old Ford Pop being filled with fertiliser and diesel through the plug hole. The whole front of the car was blown to smithereens!
Making explosives in 60kg lots in an electric cement mixer was fun, especially when I squeezed the bottle of food colour too hard and it went everywhere. It takes a long time to wash off the skin.
Orange guns were good value and many a night's fun was had when away camping and having gun battles with them. Better still was smearing tennis balls with vaseline and firing them from the orange gun into the night sky!
"Fishing" for trout and salmon in pools with weighted Lucozade bottles with a little carbide in them was always productive and provided many a pleasant meal. As did fishing streams with a pair of car batteries and a length of cable.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

DaveFJ

posted on 4/5/05 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
couple of old favourites

two plastic bottles 1 small enough to go inside the other.

put very hot water into large bottle (don't fill it).
spray freezer spray into small baottle until you see 10mm or so fluid in the bottle then seal it.
drop small bottle into large bottle and seal.

Now runaway

Those in the serices will probably know this one - Night vision goggle batteries into a fire

Ahh happy days

then of course there is always the home made bazooka using visor cleaner

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

clbarclay

posted on 4/5/05 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
Lets not forget the most common of house hold substances, sugar and bleach.
Boil up together (quantitys to make a thick past) and voila home made plastic.

Due to a lack of a deternator, i've never tried this one though.

[Edited on 4/5/05 by clbarclay]

flak monkey

posted on 4/5/05 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
Detonator?.... Model rocket ignitors!!

!*Disclaimer - i dont condone the creation or use of any illegal explosive substances!* Damn chemistry lessons....!

[Edited on 4/5/05 by flak monkey]

Sera

Jonr

posted on 4/5/05 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
hmmm acetylene in anything! plastic bags, 5l bottles, just fill em up. used to break a neon tube starter, connect up with a long cable, plug in, boom!
Jonr

posted on 4/5/05 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
but for bonfires and barbecues, George Goble is your man!

Liquid Oxygen BBQ SIte has video too!

NS Dev

posted on 9/5/05 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
I work at a seamless tube rolling mill and we had an explosion some years ago when a hollow mandrel used in tube rolling, around 150mm diameter, 20mm thick wall and 10m long, developed a crack and was welded up.

What the welder failed to remember was that after each tube is rolled over the mandrel at around 1000 deg c, it is water quenched, and after repeated cycles with a crack in it, it had ingested a few litres of water.

A tube then got stuck over the mandrel, and when it could not be stripped the mandrel was lifted ny overhead crane to get it into the scrap burn area to burn the tube off, unfortunately at that point the steam pressure blew the full fillet welds through the 20mm wall clean off at one end, propelling the 1/4 tonne mandrel one way and the bullet nose from in the other way. The nose exited the factory and ended up some way away to the west, while the body of the mandrel went several hundred feet along the factory, through a brick furnace wall, through 2 layers of 6mm steel plate and was found wedged through the opposing furnace wall another 10m after the first one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zilspeed

posted on 9/5/05 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Yep - you win
Simon

posted on 9/5/05 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
When parents split and house was sold, I had a clear up - and a fire.

Found one 5 litre (with about 1.5l in) thinners tin. So pierced lid and placed upright in fire.

Thinners eventually boiled/pressurised tin and I had a 15 foot flamethrower. Then too much pressure blew bottom of tin off which then became a missile which flew about 60 feet.

Then other was a litre tin of thinners. Full. No holes, just in fire.

Think I hid cos I can't remember what happened.

ATB

Simon

Hellfire

posted on 9/5/05 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
I think I lived a very quiet sheltered life compared to you lot Lucky you're still around judging by some of the antics.

@ Rorty - Carbide is highly carcenogenic... you feeling alright??

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.