Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine choice
Ronin

posted on 10/5/05 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Engine choice

At the moment the Gemini has a 1300 xflow from the donor. Once it is SVA'd I'm contemplating an engine change. If I start looking round now I am hoping to have everything for the winter to change it over.

I've been thinking about a 1.4 k series, upgrading to 1600 xflow, a zetec or even a Vauxhall XE. Any suggestions regarding price, availability etc. The car is comparable weight and handling wise to a seven.

zilspeed

posted on 10/5/05 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
I'm really tempted to say K series at this point for obvious reasons
But I won't.
At this point I would suggest a hotter xflow - there's a Gemini which sprints and hillclimbs up here in the windy north and it goes extremely well on a very snorty xflow.
You don't need me to tell you that this will be the cheapest option as well

Kissy

posted on 10/5/05 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Come on Zil' you know you meant to say bike engine. You're in denial mate.
zilspeed

posted on 10/5/05 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Aye - more than likely

I know a man who'll sell him one / several as well

NS Dev

posted on 10/5/05 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
I'd say the K-series if you can spend some money tuning it, or the XE if you want to leave the oily bits alone.

To be exciting you probably need more than a crossflow can realistically put out (on a sensible budget 140hp is a pretty realistic max)

The std vauxhall will give you 200hp on throttle bodies and the K-series somewhere in between (if you use the 1800)

Trev Borg

posted on 10/5/05 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
Thats a very pretty car you have there.

I'm attempting to fit the Alfa V6 in mine, and Rob Lane is putting a 4age in his.

Good luck !!!!

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes.

By that time, who cares.

You're a mile away, and you've got his shoes

stressy

posted on 11/5/05 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
K SERIES
DarrenW

posted on 11/5/05 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
Depends what you want to use it for, budget and how handy you are. I would go for Zetec. Ive been in a 2.0 Zetec Ginetta and it was very quick (Croft circuit car).

Spottty

posted on 11/5/05 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, im gonna get yelled at but a rebuilt 13B rotary would be quick. They are light and put out about 140hp stock. A little exhuast and intake work and your into the 160's (dyno proven).

Yes i'm gonna run one but I thought I would bring it up as they are often overlooked. They arnt as bad as most people say, you just have to maintian them.

Best thing to do for a build....
Ditch the wife!

Ronin

posted on 12/5/05 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
Think it's going to be the k series. Cheap, readily available and a fair turn of power for their size.
@ Trev Borg, I must say that enginge does look good in there. Hows the build going? Im lucky in that mine was well over half built when I bought it, but it does mean I've had to trace the mistakes made by the original builder.

Trev Borg

posted on 12/5/05 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
My was part done too. Some good, some bad.

It had a non running 1600 cortina pinto in, so wanted to something a little different instead.

The Alfa is a very nice engine, but we have had to make a bellhousing to fit the type 9, and there will have to be a lot of fabrication to get it to fit nicely.

The picture you can see is just of the bobywork balanced on the car, and the engine is in the engine bay, but is actually sat on the floor. A bit of a ground clearance problem i think.

It can all be overcome and hopefully unique.

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes.

By that time, who cares.

You're a mile away, and you've got his shoes

Ronin

posted on 13/5/05 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
Ground clearance with Gemini's does seem to be a problem with Gemini's. When I picked mine up there was only 1.5 inches from sump to floor. I have the shocks wound up half way and the clearance is much better. The rear shocks need adjusting more as they still seem too soft, even though they have less weight on them. The chairman of the Kent Kit Car Club has a Gemini he built 10 years ago and he has manufactured brackets to raise the back end even more as the tyres tend to strike the top of the wheel arches however hard you have the springs set.

Anyway good luck with the rest of the build, you obviously have much further to go than me.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.