Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: 2 ways to build my chassis.
Miller

posted on 26/5/05 at 03:45 AM Reply With Quote
2 ways to build my chassis.

Im building a tube chassis for a 67 ghia and I can build it one of 2 ways.

1. I can use my chassis table and build the chassis the standard way by taking measurements drawing them out on the table, clamping it all down and welding it.

or

2. I can use the Ghia unibody and bolt the tubes directly to the body using it as a pattern and weld the tubes while they are all fitted to the body.

Wich way would produce a straighter chassis assuming the ghia body is straight and true. Thanks

Rorty

posted on 26/5/05 at 04:29 AM Reply With Quote
Ford Ghia? Karmann Ghia?
I presume you're talking about the latter. If you removed the body from the floorpan and inverted the body, you could then level the underside of the body and secure it to prevent it from moving and distorting basis of the new chassis.
Attacking it that way would mean the chassis is guaranteed to fit the body.
You could of course measure it, draw it, lay it out and build it too, which is the more normal approach to chassis construction. Your measuring and layout would need to be up to scratch for a good fitting final result.
AFAIK, the Karmann Ghia floorpan is basically a wider VW Beetle jobbie in which case the easiest solution would be to alter some CAD Beetle chassis plans to suit the width of the Karman Ghia.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Miller

posted on 27/5/05 at 12:20 AM Reply With Quote
This would be for a 67 vw karmann ghia. The ghia is supposedly 6in wider but id like to have a definitive spec on that. I think im gonna build the chassis on the body then transfer that base (part that bolts to the body) onto the chassis table for bracing and when it comes time to mount wishbones and whatnot. im hoping by getting all the tubes placed in the body then I can weld them and minumize warpage. 1. the body will act as a heatsink to minumize warpage and 2. Being bolted to the body will be more rigid then the traditional clamps onto a table. any suggestions?

[Edited on 27/5/05 by Miller]

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.