Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ring too small?
wheelsinsteadofhooves

posted on 5/7/05 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
ring too small?

My part-built project came with a box marked "m16 caliper rebuild kit". all seems ok apart from the main ruber seals, which sit in the groove in the cylinder, are on the small side. they will stretch over the piston out of the caliper, and sort-of sit in the groove, but when in the groove its not possible to slide the piston in and vice versa its not possible to put the ring in the groove when stretched around the piston. do i indeed have the correct rebuild kit or is there a trick to combine piston/ring/cylinder groove?
thanks in advance.

JAG

posted on 5/7/05 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
The piston seal (it's a square section ring) should sit in the groove inside the caliper body and the piston should fit through it with very little stretching.

If you are having trouble then I would suggest you have the wrong seal.

When laid on the table, without stretching etc... it should be approx' 54mm in diameter.

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

jambojeef

posted on 5/7/05 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
Hello,

In my experience of rebuilding sliding calipers the main seals are very tight around the piston - as youd want them to be!

I just found that using a bit of brake fluid on the piston and making sure that the groove int he caliper body is very clean with no corrosion were good starting points. Then for me, it was just a case of an hour in front of the telly trying to get it to fit - it'll go eventually if its the right size.

Geoff

Mix

posted on 5/7/05 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
Try soaking the seal in brake fluid for a while.

Mick

wheelsinsteadofhooves

posted on 5/7/05 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
thanks for replies. have tried the brake fluid option but not much joy there. will measure the seal and check the size, but does seem overly tight on the piston. if i dont have the right ones, any good leads on places to buy rebuild kits?
cheers all

ned

posted on 5/7/05 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
mine went on quite easily as dscribed above. if it's of any help i have some pics on my website.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.