Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Boot cover and lid
Humbug

posted on 5/7/05 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
Boot cover and lid

I've just finished making the cover for my boot space, incorporating a lid (one photo here, more in my archive).

Cardboard template, then 3mm ali sheet cut to size. Main part cut in 2 so as to avoid hassle fitting it in place.

Cutouts for roll bar tubes done with hole cutter, spare bits saved to make infills

All pieces covered with foam - I got it for the tunnel top and had some left over - then black vinyl, all stuck with spray adhesive.

Holes for hinges drilled (carefully!) after sticking on the vinyl. Hinges came from a record deck and incorporate self-closing springs. Rivets should not show on the top side as long as nobody pushes down on them

Any thoughts on:

How to fix? I would like to avoid rivets if possible, to keep the clean look. Alternatives would seem to be double sided sticky foam tape (will it be strong enough?) or PU, which should stick OK but may be a bit permanent

Edging - do you think I need some edging (e.g. U channel) round the edges for SVA?

Boot lid - do I need a catch/lock? I hope the self closing spring thingies on the hinges will keep the lid more or less in place. What about velcro strips, or would they come off too easily. Rescued attachment 2005-07-05 1 Boot cover placed in position.jpg
Rescued attachment 2005-07-05 1 Boot cover placed in position.jpg

jonbeedle

posted on 5/7/05 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
I hate to say this but I think your lights are in the wrong place. I made that error myself. As far as I know they should be on the rear wings to pass the SVA.
Cheers
Jon

"Everyone is entitled to an opinion however stupid!"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Humbug

posted on 5/7/05 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jonbeedle
I hate to say this but I think your lights are in the wrong place. I made that error myself. As far as I know they should be on the rear wings to pass the SVA.
Cheers
Jon

I hope not... I have read the lighting section of the SVA manual several times and it says the lights must be max 400mm from the outer edge of the car. My car has a live axle and fairly narrow rear wings, so the nearest edge of the lights is about 350mm from the edge of the car

jonbeedle

posted on 5/7/05 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
I hope you're right. It would be a shame to mess up that nice paintwork.
All the best
Jon

quote:
Originally posted by Humbug
quote:
Originally posted by jonbeedle
Cheers
Jon

I hope not... I have read the lighting section of the SVA manual several times and it says the lights must be max 400mm from the outer edge of the car. My car has a live axle and fairly narrow rear wings, so the nearest edge of the lights is about 350mm from the edge of the car

"Everyone is entitled to an opinion however stupid!"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Humbug

posted on 5/7/05 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
cheers - fingers crossed
Marcus

posted on 5/7/05 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

My entire rear cover is held on with velcro - stays on quite happily at 90

Marcus

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

Humbug

posted on 5/7/05 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
on a track or a private road only, right!

that's useful to know - I might try that.

Thanks

Jon Bradbury

posted on 6/7/05 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
Bootlid + Velcro = SVA fail point

It (SVA manual) states that opening panels need to be capable of being "securely latched" which implies a mechanical locking device. Certainly my car failed on Velcro at Southampton SVA last month, despite it being very secure at speed. I would suggest using one of the folding seat retaining latches off the Sierra with a cable pull for SVA. The interior of the boot is exempt from projection testing so no need to contrive a cover for it.

There are people who have got away with Velcro but I'd suggest leaving nothing to chance.

As to your rear light units, I think they're OK as long as they are no more than 400mm inboard (measure from the inside edge of the lamp unit to be safe) and at least 500mm apart (unless your car is less than 1.4M wide in which case minimum separation is 400mm)... phew!

I like your paint!

[Edited on 6/7/05 by Jon Bradbury]

Humbug

posted on 6/7/05 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I like your paint!

Actually gel coat covered with a special blend of garage dust

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.