Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rattly DOHC
Jon Bradbury

posted on 9/7/05 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
Rattly DOHC

Hi

I've a Ford 2.0L 8 valve DOHC engine in my Robbin' Hood and it is a bit noisy. It's got 100k on the clock but it runs perfectly and doesn't blow smoke out the exhaust. However there is some rattle in there and I'm a bit concerned it might be the timing chain. I'd hate it to go whilst I was on a dual carriageway! How can I tell for sure, without dismantling the thing? It's a tight fit in there.

Cheers

JonB

Petemate

posted on 9/7/05 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Jon
Worth checking ASAP as, contrary to popular belief, the chains can wear as quick as some modern belts (e,g, my Metro diesel replacement belt is 72000)
The tensioner will probably be well grooved by now also. Many years ago I had a Renault 16GL (1470cc) and at 93000 miles the chain was so worn that the tensioner (Reynolds type) had almost come out of its sleeve and the chain jumped the sprockets by one tooth. No damage but I replaced it pretty quick...
Pete

theconrodkid

posted on 9/7/05 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
mmmmmmmmmmm nice job,get a full set of tensoiners as well,they break,the crank sprocket is free wheeling on the crank so dont turn the engine without the crank bolt being tight

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

britishtrident

posted on 9/7/05 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
Chains first suspect but these engines ast least the early ones have a known problem with the little ends at around 100k miles -- although apparently it usually shows up with a bang at high rpm.
big_wasa

posted on 9/7/05 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
Ive got a full head set for one of those,coming to think of it I can flog you a full engine (still in mot'd car)for less than the price of a new head set .
So I wouldnt worry if it does go bang ,just get another engine as nobody seems to want them

Jon Bradbury

posted on 10/7/05 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, but..

.. I don't want to be stranded in the middle of nowhere with a knackered engine!

Dunno why no one wants this engine. OK it's hard to get tuning bits for it but it is far, far better than a Pinto. More torque, more economical, lighter, more modern, etc etc.

As you can see, I quite like it.

gazza285

posted on 10/7/05 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Bradbury
Dunno why no one wants this engine. OK it's hard to get tuning bits for it but it is far, far better than a Pinto. More torque, more economical, lighter, more modern, etc etc.

Actually heavier, more unreliable, harder to tune, more complicated to get up and running, harder to fix and massive.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 10/7/05 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Bradbury
.. I don't want to be stranded in the middle of nowhere with a knackered engine!

As you can see, I quite like it.

It is just modified Pinto block with a screwed up copy of the ancient old unreliable 1962 Lotus Twincam head stuffed on top --- so how can it be "lighter and more modern".

T

gazza285

posted on 10/7/05 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
Totally different block to the Pinto.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
big_wasa

posted on 10/7/05 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
AA membership + fresh engine +pay as you go mobile are still cheaper than doing the cam chain on yours

I much prefer the twink to the pinto hence I have one in the sierra but and its a big but .Your looking (when priced before x-mas) at £60 for a head set with bolts + over £100 chain and sprokets plus chain tensioner and other odds and ends best part of £200..0.
I know you dont need the headset just to do the chain but you would in my opinion do the seals and head gasket whilst doing the job..

big_wasa

posted on 10/7/05 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote

Actually heavier, more unreliable, harder to tune, more complicated to get up and running, harder to fix and massive.

Yep

Jon Bradbury

posted on 11/7/05 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
OK

I stand corrected.

I still like it though. Can't be arsed swapping it over until I get a different engine (Vx 2.0 Red Top for me).

PaulBuz

posted on 11/7/05 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
Dohc

I've said it before & i'll say it again........
A dohc engine with its MT75 g/box is LIGHTER than a pinto/type 9.
The sump has to be cut 'n' shut admittedly, but then so does the pinto.
The torque figure & the rpm at which said torque is generated just plain kills a standard pinto.
If you want a full chat, 165bhp race engine then forget the DOHC, a pinto simply has more parts available .
But the dohc is cheap as chips (or free!!!)
With homebrew manifolds, twin carbs & a megajolt ign. system, i'm hoping for around 140 odd BHP ATF. Rescued attachment Picture 466.jpg
Rescued attachment Picture 466.jpg

ATB
Paul

NS Dev

posted on 11/7/05 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
Not trying to be too clever for my own good, but are you sure on the weights??? The DOHC block is certainly considerably heavier than the Pinto, but then I suppose the pinto head is cast iron.

The MT75 box is lighter than the type 9 with cast iron bellhousing, but most would opt for the alloy rs2000 bellhousing.

PaulBuz

posted on 11/7/05 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
on a set of digital scales my dohc weighs in at 120 kgs without manifolds or alt. but with flywheel. The standard inlet manifold is a quite light alloy job. (obviously not used on my car)
The dohc is often criticised for being very tall. whilst that is true to some degree (although my car is a standard book chassis)if you look at one of these engines you will see that almost half of its height is cylinder head....ALLOY cylinder head. To my thinking, this alone must give the car a better C of G than a pinto would.

ATB
Paul

DarrenW

posted on 11/7/05 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
Does it really matter what the weights are. Lets be honest if weight and tunability were the main parameters then no-one would choose a pinto or DOHC.

I only chose pinto cos it was a proven formula, loads of bits at the right money etc. If you have a DOHC for cheap and not worried about future upgrades then i see no problem in using it. its only if it fails that you need to worry. 140BHP sounds optrimistic but if you prove this to be the case i guess other dohc users will be very interested.

Keep up the good work.

santcliff

posted on 11/7/05 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
138.3 @ flywheel from my pinto
http://www.antcliff.co.uk/car/lps-july-05.pdf

Needs re-jetting to sort out the A/F that may give it a little more.

Whats the DOHC showing?

s

One o' cross beams gone owt askew ont' treddle

SteveH

posted on 11/7/05 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
8V DOHC...with a 4-2-1 & a K&N + a tweak of the fuel regulater (All you need is an Allen Key) 140+ have a browse here:-
http://fordsierraclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?

Ohh.... with a turbo & quite a bit of work 230+

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.