Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What to use to cut thicker sheet metal
jestre

posted on 13/7/05 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
What to use to cut thicker sheet metal

A generous man just gave me some sheet metal for the bottom of my chassis. however, it quite heavy at .070". what would be the best way to cut this to size?

I have a torch, cutoff wheels. should I go out and buy a nibbler? or is this too thick?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 13/7/05 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
I had to do a quick conversion! This is roughly 1.72mm.

What metal is it? If it's steel, then it's a good thickness. If it's ali, then it's on the thin side (but opinions vary!). For protecting against objects coming through the floor then I'd use 1.6mm steel or 3mm ali (I used steel).

...but as I say, opinions vary on the ali thickness!

As for cutting - do you know anyone with a plasma cutter? 1.7mm steel is a bit too big for nibblers or shears - you could use a jigsaw (scroll saw in USA?) with a metal-cutting blade, which is what I did. Noisy, slow, but effective with an occasional drop of oil on the blade.

rgds,
David

jestre

posted on 13/7/05 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
It is steel.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 13/7/05 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
Plenty strong enough!

rgds,
David

Fred W B

posted on 13/7/05 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
Easiest, if you can find a general engineering or sheet metal workshop, and can transport the sheet, is to have it cut on a proper metal cutting guillotine.

If you ask nicely they may do it FOC for you, or at least for some beer money.

Cheers

Fred WB

ewanspence

posted on 13/7/05 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
9" grinder

The good old angle grinder works well, damn noisy but I don't get on with 1 of my neighbours anyway.....maybe thats why!!

Ewan.

Visit the MegaGrip site :-
http://www.geocities.com/ewanspence/

Locost?

posted on 13/7/05 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
I agree, grinder everytime. Cheap, noisy creates heaps of really fine dust that seems to get everywhere and it will hurt you or anyone within spitting distance if you don't treat it with respect (or even if you do)
Peteff

posted on 13/7/05 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
I used a .8mm stainless cutting wheel in my 5" grinder to cut my floor. It was easy enough and only used one of the five blades I bought for the job.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

niceperson709

posted on 13/7/05 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
I say take it to the giloteene mate
That is what I did you will still have to cut out for the transmission ect but If you do have to cut with a grinder I find it helps to use a steel guide piece like abit of strap or angle along the line clamped or tacked in place and have you tried the really thin cut of wheels ? they are MAGIC when it comes to cutting they are 1.5 mm thick and last as long as the ordinary cut of wheels but create less mess and do a neater job .
Best wishes
Iain

Best wishes IAIN
life is not the rehearsal , it's the show so don't sit there thinking about it DO IT NOW
http://iainseven.wordpress.com/

Alan_Thomas

posted on 14/7/05 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like 16SWG to me.
This is what I used and it cut easy with a cheap jigsaw and steel cutting blade.
Use a grinder and you will use quite a few of the thin cutting wheels. I trashed one jigsaw blade but the 2nd had pleanty of life left after cutting the entire floor out.
- Alan

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.