Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Single control arm?
goin2fast52

posted on 17/7/05 at 03:30 AM Reply With Quote
Single control arm?

So I was playing Gran Turismo 4, and I got that crazy Nike concept car (http://www.granturismo.no/images/gran_turismo/gt4/review/nike_one_2022.jpg), and I was looking at it and wondered, "How does the suspension work?"
Now I know that usually you have and upper and a lower control arm, with the shock going inbetween, but why can't you only have a lower control arm, using the shock as the upper part? Sort of an A-arm/ McPherson strut hybrid sort of thing.
Or you could go inboard and use a pushrod as the upper link...?

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

scoobyis2cool

posted on 17/7/05 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
I think you could probably have just one arm by mounting the shock inboard and pivoting the suspension at the vehicle body, like in my drawing below.

The problem you'd get would be you'd have to fix the wheel solid to the axle, which would give you no control over camber, giving poor handling and roadholding. Does look nice and futuristic though

Pete Rescued attachment suspension.gif
Rescued attachment suspension.gif

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 17/7/05 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
there is a name for this type of suspension, is it swing arm or something? Pretty crap anyway, odd in roll, camber change in bump etc.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

scoobyis2cool

posted on 17/7/05 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
there is a name for this type of suspension, is it swing arm or something? Pretty crap anyway, odd in roll, camber change in bump etc.

You're right Joel, it is swing arm, I didn't recognise it because the attachment is at the bottom of the wheel rather than the centre.

It's been used as rear suspension on cars such as the old VW Beetle because of its simplicity and cheap manufacturing costs. Not sure how it would work at the front because you obviously have to have some movement in there for steering...

Pete

[Edited on 17/7/05 by scoobyis2cool]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
goin2fast52

posted on 17/7/05 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
What if you did it like this? You could put a sterring rod in there somewhere, and still have enough pivots for the wheel not to fall over.

So basically it is just like a regular suspension with no top a-arm and a low mounted shock. Or am I still missing something?

JoelP

posted on 17/7/05 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
i think so, though maybe i am!

whats wrong with using two arms?! this would give you control of camber change in bump, and also relieve a lot of the excess forces that would be put through a single lower arm.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

scoobyis2cool

posted on 17/7/05 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
I agree, unless you've got a very good reason for doing this I'd stick to the tried and tested method of two arms

Pete

goin2fast52

posted on 17/7/05 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
There is no reason :-)
That crazy car on GT4 just made me wonder if it was possible.
Thanks for the replies.

Bob C

posted on 17/7/05 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
Swing arm IFS, patented by bellamy in the '50s was a highly respected front suspension system used in many formulae right up to the beginnings of formula 1. When Lotus first did wishbone systems they were at pains to copy the gemetry and behaviour from the successful swing axle IFS systems they had used before.
The drawing above clearly has very short swing axle length (giving camber control problems) and the roll centre would be relatively high. Why not have the swing axles "cross over" so each actually pivots at the far side of the chassis.... I reckon that would be feasible and could work quite well.
Practical difficulty would be the need for massive strength at the hub end & consequent unsprung weight savings would not be so great: dead easy to do a 'geared up' inboard suspension though!
I'd do a picture but it's too late.....
cheers
Bob

Bob C

posted on 17/7/05 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
You'd have to take the track rods from the far end of the rack too
Ouch.....
Bob

crbrlfrost

posted on 19/7/05 at 02:04 AM Reply With Quote
The I-beam front suspension off a ford truck might be what you're thinking. Cheers
NS Dev

posted on 19/7/05 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
Just going to say, F150 trophy truck racers use that full width crossover swingaxle setup at the front (and quarter elliptics at the back don't they?)
Rorty

posted on 20/7/05 at 05:09 AM Reply With Quote
Actually all the F-Trucks use those damned cross-over arms. I had F150 XLT for years which I used as a tow truck for my two-car race trailer.
AFAIK, the off-road race trucks mostly all use aftermarket wishbone front suspension (except maybe for some of the entry level classes).
This is the front end of Rob Herman's Ford Trophy Truck:

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.