Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Site Changes
DarrenW

posted on 21/7/05 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
Site Changes

ChrisW,

Can i just say that the site changes that you are proposing look fantastic. Thanks for your hard work.

I was just thinking about what might happen when you open the site up to any type of kit car (and i fully support this idea) - currently it is heavily weighted to locosts and se7en type vehicles for obvious reasons. Do you envisage changing the sections so that there are new generic areas - eg se7ens, Cobra's, 4x4's, supercars etc.

I especially like the traders advertisement part. I have absolutely nothing against traders pedalling their wares and enjoy seeing what the latest offers are but of course it is nice to have them identified as such and seeing as they can make money out of the site it is nice to see that they have the opportunity to contribute to the future success of the site for all of our benefits.

T-shirts, mugs, stickers etc - bloody fantastic. Cant wait. I dont think ill be ordering a window sticker tho' !! LOL. I would however seriuosly consider a KitCarBuilders.com sticker to run along the bottom of my nearside side panel (not too big tho please). Im all for advertising where i have got some of my knowledge from.

Keep up the good work. Consider yourself applauded.

Best Regards,
Darren.

shortie

posted on 21/7/05 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
I agree with all the above comments, excellent ideas and a very good site will just continue to improve.

I love the idea of having promotional items and sounds like a great idea to have a presence at Brands and Donnington, if you need any help then give me a shout.

Well done and keep up the excellent work.

Rich.

donut

posted on 21/7/05 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
What he ^ said!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 21/7/05 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
here here.

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

JoelP

posted on 21/7/05 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
ditto - i was actually thinking of emailing you last week regarding a locostbuilders.co.uk vinyl sticker, but thats been covered now!

if i keep breaking sierras i'll sort out a registration thing

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Fred W B

posted on 21/7/05 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
Chris - As above, I really like the sound of the new iniatives.

With respect, can't say the same for the new avatar.....

cheers

Fred WB

ned

posted on 21/7/05 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
i'm mildly concerned that the change in name will confuse some or lose our identity, was also initially concerned that we'll get swamped with cobra and other builders wanting their own sections, but thinking about it, there are established sites for cars not currently covered on this site, so doubt it will pose a problem.

I would suggest that for the first few months of a new logo there is something incorporated to distinguish/highlight the name change to make people aware of the rebranding. not everyone comes on here as often as me

Ned.

[Edited on 21/7/05 by ned]

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisW

posted on 21/7/05 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Ned - I intend to have the locostbuilders domain name forward to a holding page explaining the name change and then forwarding the visitor on. Should make them aware of the change!

Chris

wheelsinsteadofhooves

posted on 21/7/05 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
great stuff about the changes. not at all against a small sticker along the underside of the numberplate - when shes on the road.

as for the avatar - it sums up how i feel most days. like it!

great work all round chris, many thanks for all the effort and thought that goes into the site. it deserves to go from strength to strength and with your well planed initiatives it looks to do just that. fantastic

Winston Todge

posted on 21/7/05 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
Lmao @ Avatar!

Again, excellent site, very well run and certainly going from strength to strength in my limited experience!

Chris.

chrisg

posted on 21/7/05 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
It'll certainly be more representative of the people who post here, looking at the "building" area of everyone's titles very few seem to be building Locosts.

Perhaps there needs to be another website for the people building from scratch.

I suppose were not"upmarket" enough.

There does seem to be a sort of movement to "airbrush" out the Locost from history, but lets not forget that most of the cheaper kits on the market were developed as a result of the "book". The kit car industry was given a much needed boost at the budget end.

So let's remember next time you jump in your MK, GTS, Mac#1 et al, they probably wouldn't be here without a certain grey haired man and his special.

Cheers

Chris

Surrey Dave

posted on 21/7/05 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
ABSOLUTELY............

Every Tom & Dick think they are a car manufacturers/designers now, thanks to the 'Locost ' book.

As said most are only variations on a theme , that a lot of us have built in our lock-ups, and all seem to have an uncanny resemblence to a Pre- Lit Westfield.............(runs for cover!!!)

Dale

posted on 21/7/05 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
On our side of the pond I would put it at 90% or more going the locost route. When a prebuilt chassis and suspension arms runs you 5k usd or more the locost is king.
Dale

Thanks
Dale

my 14 and11 year old boys 22
and 19 now want to drive but have to be 25 before insurance will allow. Finally on the road

Jon Ison

posted on 21/7/05 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
would/will be a sad day for me when locostbuilders is no more

tri

posted on 21/7/05 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
All has been said just wanted to post to show i agree with what been said

Tri

ChrisW

posted on 22/7/05 at 12:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison

The site will still be much the same Jon, just a different name. If we get a huge influx of new car types I will split the construction section up into smaller groups, but there will always be dedicated forums for builders of traditional Locosts.

Chris

Mix

posted on 22/7/05 at 06:23 AM Reply With Quote
I too am concerned that the focus of the site will move ever more rapidly away from scratch built seven type cars to kit car assembly in general.

Mick

donut

posted on 22/7/05 at 06:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I too am concerned that the focus of the site will move ever more rapidly away from scratch built seven type cars

Then isn't it up to you locosters to make sure your sections stay vibrant and busy. You're doing a grand job at the moment and i can see it remaining a very large part of this forum.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

David Jenkins

posted on 22/7/05 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison

I must admit that I have concerns - there are plenty of kit-car websites out there, but only one LocostBuilders...
...Still, we'll see how it goes.

rgds,
David

DarrenW

posted on 22/7/05 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
If you guys are concerned about preserving your 'roots', im sure Chris can be pursuaded to add on the banner "formerly known as locostbuilders" or some other fitting tribute.

I think the new site is in danger of wiping all of the lesser forums off the map. This will be the new Superforum. Bring it on.....

Jon Ison

posted on 22/7/05 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
i dunno, locostbuilders is locostbuilders, Chris as done a great job and continues too, its just sentimental old me. its all in the name..............bit like your football team, once you have one its yours for life........sounds a bit ott that bit but its best way i can explain it. "Kit car builders" is what it says really absolutely anything, not that there is a problem with that and anyone is welcome whatever they build, i just like the word "locostbuilders" with 5k + members summat must be ok about it ???

ChrisW

posted on 22/7/05 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
I think the new site is in danger of wiping all of the lesser forums off the map. This will be the new Superforum. Bring it on.....

That is the plan!

I do appreciate everyone's concerns about keeping the Locost scene alive but as has been said, if you keep posting your questions, solutions and tips the Locost areas of the site will keep going from strength to strength. You never know, you may even persuade more potential builders over to the Locost route.

Chris

David Jenkins

posted on 22/7/05 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
If you guys are concerned about preserving your 'roots', im sure Chris can be pursuaded to add on the banner "formerly known as locostbuilders" or some other fitting tribute.

I don't care what it's called - it could be 'Gladys.co.uk' as far as I'm concerned - it's just the risk of diluting the Locost bit that concerns me. But, as I said earlier, we'll see what happens...

David

[Edited on 22/7/05 by David Jenkins]

Simon

posted on 22/7/05 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
Sponsorship from Ultima or Dax perhaps

Sorry, just read this thread with absolutely no idea what any of you are talking about, other than perhaps a name change and the intro of the rest of the kit car scene on here.

Well, I'm going to search the site for more clues, but as far as I'm concerned, evolution is the way forward!!!

ATB

Simon

posted on 23/7/05 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
Hi All,

I share the sentiments of Jon and the reservations of David on this one.

I suppose true locosters are in the minority on this site.
The shows sum it up for me. "Where do we meet up", someone will post.
"The MK stand" the answer comes back.

I do flick onto a few other web sites but seldom find much of interest.
It's sort of, "If I buy ***** to fit on my ***** does it come with the bolts?"

Paul G

aka Miserable Old Git

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.