New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: survival instructions
Andrew+dad

posted on 24/7/05 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
survival instructions

[Edited on 24/7/05 by Andrew+dad]

britishtrident

posted on 24/7/05 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
Translated from a French goverment publication -- note error in translation should read -- Wait for UK and US to save your bacon.
dave dickson

posted on 24/7/05 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
All these "French are cowards" jokes seem to stem from the French refusing to get involved in the Iraq conflict.

I dont get it. The French government refused to participate in a war they didnt believe was just, and everyone calls them cowards.

The French government actually had the balls to stand up and say NO to America, despite some thinly veiled threats of trade sanctions from America if they didnt agree. - More than could be said for our puppet government.

jonbeedle

posted on 24/7/05 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
The French didn't want to get involved in the Iraq war because they were trading with Sadam Hussein and supplying the Iraqis with arms, just like they were supplying the Argentinians with Exocet missiles during the Falklands war!

"Everyone is entitled to an opinion however stupid!"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jonbeedle

posted on 24/7/05 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
I will say this for the French though, at least they stick together. When they go on strike the whole country unites, even the police. Over here we can't even stop buying petrol for one day in protest at the rising fuel prices. For some things we would do well to take a leaf out of their book.

"Everyone is entitled to an opinion however stupid!"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
wilkingj

posted on 24/7/05 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmm Some people seem to have forgotten that the French were selling and continued to try to sell Exocet missiles to the Argentinians during the Falklands conflict. Argentinia is a Non-EU Country, and the UK is. So much for neighbours and sticking together in the European Union.

Whilst I dont like them I do respect their views.

They went on to attack out Lorry Drivers and empty their loads of Lamb onto the road to spoil them.

Therefore I have (from then, and still do have) my own sanctions in place on French products...

They wont buy our Lamb, So... I wont buy their Letters.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

Mr G

posted on 24/7/05 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think it stems from the iraq conflict, more a general stereotype of the French being rather poor at military campaigns.
Type in 'french military victories' to google and hit 'i feel lucky' for an example.

I had a chuckle when my mate said to me
'What's the difference between a Frenchman & a piece of Toast'

A: You can make soldiers out of a piece of toast.

[Edited on 24/7/05 by Mr G]

marcyboy

posted on 24/7/05 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
yeah did'nt saddam owe the french about 49 million euros...
but we probably trained most of his officers at sandhurst...
funny old world ain't it,
but being to france a few times i can say they don't like us either,
the germans are a bit nicer but not much...but i'm sure that was down to the incidents before 1944 ...
as for the dutch much nicer and most will converse in the queens english

MkIndy7

posted on 24/7/05 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
Not to forget they were thinking of supplying Saddam with a nuclear power plant thats waste product was wepons grade uranium!

You really can't make up the stupidity of the French!

the JoKeR

posted on 24/7/05 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, the jokes about the French "military" were going around long before Iraq. Now they live for a new generation.

Jeff
http://www.midwestwelding.com
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/

JoelP

posted on 24/7/05 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
plus they still owe us a lot of money from fines following their unlawful ban on imports of british beef...

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

MikeP

posted on 25/7/05 at 12:27 AM Reply With Quote
Wow, this is a pretty disturbing thread! Are these opinions widespread in the UK?
Andrew+dad

posted on 25/7/05 at 03:08 AM Reply With Quote
i dont know i just thought it was funny found it after watching red dwarf lol where the french are described as wine guzzling cheese eating surrender monkeys lol i liked it
britishtrident

posted on 25/7/05 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
The French army will alway fight to last Brit/Candadian/Australian/US/NZ is left to defend france.
NS Dev

posted on 25/7/05 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
Whilst I agree with the military misfortune comments and that they have some truly daft policies, I would have to say that a lot of people generalise without speaking to enough people in France!

In the north of France I have to say that I dislike the culture and the French seem to dislike the English much more, but further south the French seem to like the English, adn as for the Germans being more friendly!!!!!

I have never met a more blinkered and arrogant group of people than on my various visits to germany..................worrying thing is the other country where I got that feeling was in the USA!!!!

I really like many parts of France and (maybe this is why we traditionally don't get on!) I think that France is the most similar culture to our own in the world. We regard the USA as our closest ally, but my latest visit there reinforced my opinion that we are worlds apart in terms of culture and attitude.

None of this is to say that I don't find a lot of French people obstinate and awkward (I deal with them a fair bit at work!) but I think that is how the English are at heart as well, we just keep the tight upper lip whereas they dont!!

the JoKeR

posted on 25/7/05 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
Where in the US did you visit? I can see where you could get that impression from a number of places, or from the media. Then again, you are coming from what I consider one of the most polite countries I've ever seen, so every other country may seem arrogant by comparrison. People I met in London a few years back were so darn nice I couldn't believe it. It was over New Years, and it was supposedly one of the worst cold-snaps on record for decades. People were appologizing for the weather and hoping it wasn't ruining our trip. There was a little freezing rain/drizzle in the evenings, with temps ranging from 30-40 degrees F (about -1 to 4 C I guess). Back home it was about 0 F and we had three feet of blowing and drifting snow on the ground. Your weather was GREAT by comparrison! I typically hate being in large cities (I live an hour from Chicago and avoid it like the plague) but I really like London, because of the people.

I got the same feeling as you regarding northern and southern French. A few years back during a different trip to England & France I took the hovercraft across the Channel to France, and proceeded to Paris for a few days. Then it was on to Marsaillas (?) in the south for a week. There was a huge difference in the attitude we received. In the south, people were much more willing to help (considering we spoke no French), and some went out of their way to help us find what we were looking for.

Regarding French-Canadians, my only problem there is that I don't know what they're saying. I met a French-Canadian stripper once..... Wow!

I believe it was General George S Patton who said: "Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without an accordion."

[Edited on 7/25/2005 by the JoKeR]

Jeff
http://www.midwestwelding.com
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/

NS Dev

posted on 25/7/05 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

it was Ohio that I visited, the Canton area in stark county specifically. I got the impression that this is a VERY conservative area!!!!!

Certainly we went on a night out in Akron while I was there and that was much more fun!

I have fallen into the trap that I mentioned of judging a country by one area I think, as I have visited the states a few times now, but with work and to Canton Ohio each time.

Must visit elsewhere!!!

NS Dev

posted on 25/7/05 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I believe it was General George S Patton who said: "Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without an accordion."

[Edited on 7/25/2005 by the JoKeR]

brilliant!!!!

Jasper

posted on 25/7/05 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
I have to say I agree with most of the French comments - though I'd still rather do on holiday there than here.....

But as for the German's - I go to Germany 2 or 3 times a year and always find the people in restaurants, shops and hotels really nice and always willing to speak English. The place is always spotless, the food pretty good (though not as good as France) and it's always good value for money.

spunky

posted on 25/7/05 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeP
Wow, this is a pretty disturbing thread! Are these opinions widespread in the UK?

YES!

There is a strong anti french feeling in Britain.

My own reasons go back way before the Iraq conficts and beef bans and lamb burnings.
I was on holiday in their God forsaken country and was directly blamed for the German invasion of France on account of me being British Apparently it was our fault because we went to war against Adolf.
For years I have refused any french produce and will send house wine back in restaurants if it is french.

Quick trivia question... In a country with 50 million citizens how many active members of the french resistance during the Nazi invasion?

Thats 0.004% of the population thought the country was worth fighting for.

John

The reckless man may not live as long......
But the cautious man does not live at all.....

colibriman

posted on 25/7/05 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
I've got to agree with Jasper regarding the Germans....I have been all over the country and found all of the ones I met to be very friendly and helpful and always made the effort to try and speak english, even when they only know a few words..It's a beautiful country too and well worth visiting.

only met a few French and they all were decent and friendly too..

I think we need to winge more about the rediculus things we put up with in ths country - fuel tax being the one that boils my blood the most

need a bike engine? - www.colibriman.com

SVA ready Mk Indyblade possibly for sale.....if the offers good...!

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Jonr

posted on 25/7/05 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
Saw an advert on ebay for army surplus french rifles.............only dropped once.

and sorry but the Quebecois are even worse, no cowards but they are the most arrogant farkers I have ever had the displeasure of meeting. Spent a few years in Canada, East and West , Acadians, fine, quebecois......grrrr

AS the joke goes, a quebecois and a newfy find a lamp, give it a rub, out pops a genie. "I'll give you one wish each" says the genie (I know its supposed to be three, but have you seen how much a Canadian dollar is worth)
Quebecois says " I vant a 4 metre solid vall built aroond quebec to protect our unik heritage, to protect our language from the influence of ze eenglish, to stop ze dilution of ze fabulos culture of ze vonderful quebecois"

"Boom" genie does his thing, 4 meter wall around quebec, newfies turn.

"yes by, did der wall? dis be a solid wall? no doors, windaes or ither holes?"

"yes" says the genie

"well buddy, fill it up tae the brim with watter"

Think Im on safe ground, MikeP as your in Ontario

britishtrident

posted on 25/7/05 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
At the collapse of france in May 1940 the French had been begging Churchill for more and more squadrons of RAF Hurricances to throw against the German fighters, Dowding called a halt refused any more keeping just enough squadrons to fight what became the battle of Britain.
After Dunkirk when the Germans marched south they discovered 1500 brand new mainly US built modern fighters and bombers that the french had refused to use against the Germans because they might get them dirty. Germans made good use of them as training aircraft for the rest of the war. This was more aircraft than the RAF had in totall at the time !

[Edited on 25/7/05 by britishtrident]

posted on 25/7/05 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Going not to war with Iraq had nothing to do with moralism but money.
Through the Russians,the French had possibly some very large oil contracts in foresight with Soddom Insane.
As for the Belgians,our political imbecils had only one goal and that was getting their names in the newspapers all over the world,and indeed they succeeded!

Our politicians where surprised afterwards that all of a sudden some major US companys stated that they might have to close down some facility's in Belgium
DHL-Ford etc...

Something to remember:the entire Japanese fleet that attacked Pearl Harbor was sank during the war,up to the last rowboat
In those days you did'nt f"ck with the Americans...not much has changed me thinks!

MikeP

posted on 26/7/05 at 12:21 AM Reply With Quote
LOL, at least it's consistent, this thread continues to be very disturbing!

Canada refused to join in on Iraq and we have a lot of French ancestory here, so I guess we're just as bad !

Ha! Going to war with Iraq had nothing to do with moralism but money.

Any comment on the lack of WMDs in Iraq, the intel scandal, or the continuing refusal of some of the Iraqi people to appreciate the form of democracy brought to them by the US?

What I find so disturbing is that justified or not, resentments dating back to Napoleon continue to fester between France and England (and now Canada?). What hope is there for South Eastern Europe and the Middle East with much longer histories?

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.