Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: LOCOSTBUILDERS or KITCARBUILDERS
bob

posted on 26/7/05 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
LOCOSTBUILDERS or KITCARBUILDERS

So we near the launch date and really i think it would help chris with some more views and a poll,i know most dont like change in any form myself included but hey you never know it maybe a gain with more info who knows.

so whats the verdict

Mix

posted on 26/7/05 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
As a Locost builder it pains me to say that Kitcarbuilders more aptly describes the site in it's present format.
The focus of the site is moving away from scratch built cars towards a forum for seven kit types, a trend which I think will continue, due in part to the amount of advice given not to build a Locost for various reasons, (skills required, time taken, resale value etc.).
My concern now is that if the site is opened up even more as a result of the name change that the seven focus will become lost amongst a plethora of other kits.
I'm not sure that Chris isn't creating a monster

All IMHO of course

Mick

mookaloid

posted on 26/7/05 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
I voted for keeping LOCOSTBUILDERS but actually what I really mean is that I would like see some recognition kept to show that this site caters for home built cars as well as kits.

I wouldn't like to lose the primarily seven inspired theme (Locost or reasonably priced kit) which seems appropriate and relevant to most of the builders here.

However if we can attract more expertise from builders of other cars then that can only be a good thing.....

Cheers

Mark

Humbug

posted on 26/7/05 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
Kitcarbuilders might be a bit too wide - there would need to be a lot more subforums to cater for different kits/models. Perhaps it should reflect the trend towards buying in chassis, etc. rather than making from scratch and become www.sevenbuilders.co.uk (not www.sevenbuilders.com as that belongs to "Seven Builders Construction & Remodeling"

[Edited on 26.07.2005 by Humbug]

pbura

posted on 26/7/05 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
I suggest 'sportscarbuilders' to take the emphasis off the kits.

Pete

JoelP

posted on 26/7/05 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
www.bodgeitandscarper.co.uk

thats gonna be my new company website maybe not

ps i abstained on the vote, i have my preferences but its chris' call IMHO.

[Edited on 26/7/05 by JoelP]

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Peteff

posted on 26/7/05 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
My company name on the computer is I.Bodgit & co. Many a true word is spoken in jest, or was it Welsh?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

bimbleuk

posted on 26/7/05 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
I think "assembler" would cover a lot of kit car projects even better. I haven't welded anything and my chassis was pre-built. The major components on my car are recon 2nd hand. All I've built from scratch are the various brackets and fixings holding it all together!
JonBowden

posted on 26/7/05 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
Personnaly I think it is a good idea to generalise the site. However, It will be important to compartmentalise the site (eg sub forums),
My own interest is mainly the chassis design side, so discussions on how to build a Ferrari replica from beetle bits would not interest me much.

Jon

Spyderman

posted on 26/7/05 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
I think the emphasis of this site is and always has been on doing things yourself. Why do we want to do things ourselves if not for doing it to a lower cost, and maybe a higher standard?
Kitcar building is all about doing things cheaper, otherwise you'd buy ready built!

Changing to Kitcarbuilder moves the emphasis to kits only.
Lowcostbuilder caters for all!
Leave it as it is!
Pretty please?

Terry

Spyderman

ned

posted on 26/7/05 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
another previously suggested name which i think covers all is simply www.carbuilders.co.uk but i like www.sporstscarbuilders.co.uk more!

these keep the DIY ethos but also allows for kits and other rebuilds/renovation/conversion projects etc

Ned

[Edited on 26/7/05 by ned]

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mookaloid

posted on 26/7/05 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
www.sportscarbuilders.co.uk - Great idea I'd vote for that

Cheers

Mark

Jon Bradbury

posted on 26/7/05 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
Well looking at the results so far we're a pretty conservative bunch.

I've said this before : this forum is frequented by engineers and those that aspire to be engineers. That is not true of the other kit car builder sites IMHO. I think that what separates you from the rest of us mere mortals is the fabrication of your own chassis. I really want a go at this, but have not got the time. However, I learn a great deal by hanging out in the "chassis" forum and I'm grateful.

I doubt I'd have even bothered looking in the first place if it was named "a generic car builder forum".

I think therefore the name should try to differentiate between what is a "kit" and what is truly "home made". For me, the deciding factor is in the chassis, and who made it.

My opinion is this : I believe that Vortx, Luego, MK, etc are all kits. Anything else, where the chassis is costructed by the builder (and the bodywork, as is the case with Stephen Gusterson's car), is a true Locost, irrespective of what it actually cost to build.

Perhaps www.forum_for_car_builders_who_fabricate_their_own_chassis.co.uk?

Dale

posted on 26/7/05 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
How about Clubmanbuliders- Thats going to include probably 95% of the builders be them locost, mk, cat(*& BEC ect, I leaves a few out but even most of them are topless and squat on the ground.
Dale

Thanks
Dale

my 14 and11 year old boys 22
and 19 now want to drive but have to be 25 before insurance will allow. Finally on the road

Liam

posted on 26/7/05 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
I also abstain from the vote as I think Sportscarbuilders is the best suggestion so far. It really sums up what everyone here is doing, allowing for kits/scratch builts and sevens/non sevens and even modified production cars. Although most people here probably are building a kit of some form, I think the name Kitcarbuilders is too specific, will fail to attract true scratch-builders/modifiers/tinkerers/garden shed engineers, and will loose the sight its unique identity as a real grass roots car building community.

In fact i'd quite like a name that looks to the past, the origins of what we're all doing - something like Specialbuilders or, as suggested above, Clubmanbuilders. But I think Sportscarbuilders is more relevant.

Liam

[Edited on 26/7/05 by Liam]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 26/7/05 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
most of them are topless and squat on the ground

Sounds like a good night out to me . I'll vote for whatever they are in.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

andy d (rizla)

posted on 26/7/05 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
so does that mean those of us that bought a kit rather than build it from scratch are banned/discriminated against

shame

a name is nothing,its content that makes the forum

and in my opinion anything that promotes the uk kit car scene is a good thing

i bet theres more people on here that bought thier chassis(mk,mnr etc) than fabricated thier own

Monkey Man

posted on 26/7/05 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andy d (rizla)
so does that mean those of us that bought a kit rather than build it from scratch are banned/discriminated against

It doesn't mean we can't all get along does it.

If people really want to build a car from scratch they could get educated in structural engineering and smelting and mining, make their own steel and design their own chassis. They could design their own engine from scratch. And create all the parts.

Or not.

The only real difference it seems to me is the point at which you say, "No. Too much hassle" and get someone else to do the hard work.

People pick a point at which they feel comfortable which includes cost, knowledge and time and then take it from there.

I agree that sportscarbuilders sounds good. It covers everyone.

Dale

posted on 26/7/05 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
"most of them are topless and squat on the ground"

Oops, guess I should read what I write, I guess that should be most are toppless and sit low to the ground. Although its nice to know My mind is not alone in the gutter.
Dale

Thanks
Dale

my 14 and11 year old boys 22
and 19 now want to drive but have to be 25 before insurance will allow. Finally on the road

rusty nuts

posted on 26/7/05 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
If the name has to be changed I agree with Sportscarbuilders .
ray.h.

posted on 26/7/05 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
This site is principally devoted to the seven inspired car whether home built or kit built.To call it kitcarbuilders would open it up to all builders and would take the focus away from sevens. While this isn,t necessarily a bad thing i think you would end up trawling through tons of other stuff to read what your realy interested in.It could become a logistic nightmare to organise and almost as difficult to use.If it aint broke don,t fix it.Evolution not revolution.

Couldn,t we just be called Sevensandmore. or something like that it would be more accurate,but i,m sure cateringvan mght say something about it.

[Edited on 26/7/05 by ray.h.]

I love speed :-P

posted on 26/7/05 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ray.h.
This site is principally devoted to the seven inspired car whether home built or kit built.To call it kitcarbuilders would open it up to all builders and would take the focus away from sevens. While this isn,t necessarily a bad thing i think you would end up trawling through tons of other stuff to read what your realy interested in.It could become a logistic nightmare to organise and almost as difficult to use.If it aint broke don,t fix it.Evolution not revolution.

Couldn,t we just be called Sevensandmore. or something like that it would be more accurate,but i,m sure cateringvan mght say something about it.

[Edited on 26/7/05 by ray.h.]

i dont think it should be called sevens etc as there are many other types of car ie mid engined etc, but sportscarbuilders defines everybody on this site, while kit car describes about 50 ish % at the moment of people, however again like it has been said, it is chris' call

(hope that makes sence)

Don't Steal
The Government doesn’t like the competition

David Jenkins

posted on 26/7/05 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Calling it seven-anything would leave Chris wide open to attack by Caterham - "SportsCarBuilders" gets my vote, if we have to change.

rgds,
David

bob

posted on 26/7/05 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
I'm hoping chris can read this thread and gain something from it,at least people have been constructive and thought about the rename.

AFAIK the change will happen,i just hope the original locostbuilders forum can be a sub section and keep its own ID.

paulf

posted on 26/7/05 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
Sportscar builders sounds good too me to, but Chris has obviously got his own ideas and reasons for the change.The main thing I consider important is that people will still find the site or a link to it when searching for Locost on the web.
Paul
quote:
Originally posted by bob
I'm hoping chris can read this thread and gain something from it,at least people have been constructive and thought about the rename.

AFAIK the change will happen,i just hope the original locostbuilders forum can be a sub section and keep its own ID.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.