Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Jaguar Coil Overs
Errol

posted on 3/8/05 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Jaguar Coil Overs

I believe it is possible to use Jag XJ coil overs on the front and the back of a Locost.

Is this possible as I have a set of four and these obviously will reduce the cost in construction

Ian Pearson

posted on 3/8/05 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
I seem to remeber from the dim and distant past that the Jag shocks are unsuitable due to length etc?
britishtrident

posted on 3/8/05 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
I think damping settings would be the stopper -- even if you allow for the fact that XJ6/XJs/Stype/Etype have two dampers at each rear corner rear the car is still 4 times the weight of a Locost and the Jag units mount on the lower wishbone quite away in from the wheel end.
James

posted on 3/8/05 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
IIRC Ewanspence used Jag units on his:

http://www.geocities.com/ewanspence/

HTH,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

ewanspence

posted on 4/8/05 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
I do have them but

as the car has not yet been on the road I'm not too sure how they will perform.

I have 2 plans though.

Plan A is that I have bought a set of stiffer springs that also have a set of adjustable ali spring seats. These cost £70 from Ebay . This will alow me to change the spring rate a little stiffer at the front and also adjust the ride hieght front and back. The rear coilovers are fully upright so I think the spring rate will be close to what I want.

Plan Bis to get a set of koni adjustables for the XJ6 and fit the correct springs to them (after doing some calculations) , that way, along with the adjustable seats I can adjust the damping too.

I now have all the parts for Plan A and will see how that goes.

I will take a photo tonight of the bits and may even manage to take a unit apart and put it together with the new spring and adjuster.

As for the fit, there is a drawing on my site, JAG coilover

and as I am going the 4x4 route the front suspension is already modded slightly I have slightly widened the nose about 3 inches each side and due to using the sierra front drive shafts and steering rack the overall wishbone length is longer.

Plus because the springs were designed to take half the backend weight of a Jag I made the coilover as upright as the design would allow.

but I think Plan A will help some of this.

If you look at the angle of the front springs plus the top mount is sticking out from the chassis by about 3-4 inches tried to compensate for all this. But I plan to fit a strut brace across the top of both top mounts and incoreprate head lamps mounts to make it all look meant (sort of).

[Edited on 8/8/05 by ewanspence]

Ewan.

Visit the MegaGrip site :-
http://www.geocities.com/ewanspence/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.