Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: will anything on this fail?
john_p_b

posted on 3/8/05 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
will anything on this fail?

it's complete! as far as i know i'm now all together ready for test. (ok the slight cooling system problem has set the test back a couple of weeks but i've taken some pics so you lovey ppl can tell me if anything looks out of place.

fingers crossed for the 22nd

DarrenW

posted on 3/8/05 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
Have you checked front indicator angles of visibility?

You may need some padding on the bits of chassis that protrude from the nosecone, also check wishbone bracket radii. it looks like you have cable tied the convoluted tube onto wishbones etc - this should be Ok, i know that insulating tape alone is frowned upon at some test centres.

what does it look like under bonnet?

apart from that it looks pretty good to me. I havent been thro SVA yet so im sure someone with more experience will be along soon.

john_p_b

posted on 3/8/05 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
under the bonnet isn't so pretty! everything is secure and nothing fouling anything etc but it just looks a bit messy but seeing as i've just had rip out the cooling system for a rethink anyway i can tidy that and post some pics when it's done.

cable ties have been used for the tubing on the wishbones. i'll check the brackets in a bit. front indicators are going to be a tough one but i'm going to stick with them and see if i can talk the inspector around

erbieb02

posted on 3/8/05 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
I know I am misinterpreting the point of this post, but on the topic of failure:

The upper front A-arms. The Y-shape of the arms is a bit worrying as it appears, especially with the bend already in the vertical direction that the ball-joint could rotate/shear off from the tube during hard cornering with braking.

I hope this never proves to be the case but that is my amature engineering opinion. At least it is an easy fix and should not be a catastrophic failure if it does manifest. Keep an eye on them.

Otherwise I have no idea about the regulations you have over there but the car sure looks nice, excellent fit and finish.

Sincerely

[Edited on 8/3/2005 by erbieb02]

Eric B
So many choices, way to much time (until I can afford to build).

Avoneer

posted on 3/8/05 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
Passenger and driver side footwell - is there a sharp edge above where your shins would be where the yellow bit meets the cross member?

Pipe lagging gaffer taped on if needed.

Is the fog lamp high enough?

Looks really good apart from that.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
john_p_b

posted on 3/8/05 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
in the pictures the angle does look pretty sharp on the covers under the dash but it's hardly anything and the join is currently covered by tape soon to be replaced by silicone.

not sure what you mean about the pipe lagging?

i measured up everything for the foglight when i fitted it so it should be ok but i'll double check that.

thanks for the pointers and keep em coming! seeing as now i got a bit longer to get it all right

nick205

posted on 3/8/05 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
John,

Can't comment on the SVA side of things, but where did you get the alloy edgetrim for the sides of the car in the cockpit?

Cheers
Nick

john_p_b

posted on 3/8/05 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
John,

Can't comment on the SVA side of things, but where did you get the alloy edgetrim for the sides of the car in the cockpit?

Cheers
Nick

direct from MK. they do it in a set costs about 40 quid i think and that does both sides of the cockpit, both sides of the tranny tunnel and across the top of the rear bulkhead. looks really good when it's polished up too!

nick205

posted on 3/8/05 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers John!

Just read your post about overheating probs. If you post a description of your set-up and some pics we may be able to help.

Cheers
Nick

mandy69

posted on 3/8/05 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
Cool conduit wishbones, new trend for lightness.........
Car looks nice.
Mand

richardhuggins

posted on 3/8/05 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
might want to cover the brsded hoses as well
Hellfire

posted on 3/8/05 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by richardhuggins
might want to cover the brsded hoses as well

I was just looking at those - however, they look like they may be covered in clear tubing... no? Apart from that nothing obvious I can see! Nice job!

givemethebighammer

posted on 3/8/05 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
Looks great, only two things I can see need checking are the distance of the front indicators from the side of the car (should be no more than 400mm if I remember) and check the height of the upper seat belt mountings. They use a measuring device placed in the bottom of the seat to determine the min mount height (maybe someone else can give exact figures).

other than that all looks very good.

Hornet

posted on 4/8/05 at 07:20 AM Reply With Quote
really nice looking car....
Cant understand the comment about covering the brake lines.. they aint got any sharp edges!

Only thing i see.... Does the nyloc nut on the offside wing stay have enough thread sticking through.

When's your date for SVA ?

Cheers and good luck

DarrenW

posted on 4/8/05 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
Ive mounted my fogs similar to yours from a bracket off the bottom chassis rail. I used a longer bolt to lift it up and cable tied a piece of large diameter hose pipe (split in half) around bolt and bracket to try and cover it. Aftre SVA im planning to lose the square one for a centrally mounted round one.

Reverse light - is it generally accepted now that you dont need one? or is it a station specific thing that some testers look out for them?

Go thro Eddy's post - sounds like some good pointers here. Do you have anyone close by that can give it the once over in the flesh and be super critical?

barrie sharp

posted on 4/8/05 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
Your plastic covering on your wishbones looks too temporary ,and you should'ent need it on there anyway as it meets the minimum radius.just cover the nuts and things .
also cover your brake hoses with sprial wrap they like that. every thing under your bonnent should be cable tied or supported (the sva man told me to look under the bonnent of a newish car and thats how it should be)
hope this helps and dont worry it will all be over soon and you'll be driving it!!!

the cars looking good" a blind man would be pleased to see it"
''stop press'' the blind mans seen it said "it felt ok"

shortie

posted on 7/8/05 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
looks good to me, I did have some spirap on the braided hoses but he didn't really look at it but if you have some it's worth doing anyway.

Nothing wrong with the conduit on the wishbones, not strictly required but you can always remove it if he wants you too so I'd leave it.

I think you have covered most things and it looks good, just make sure under the bonnet it nice and clean and tidy and you should be fine.

Easy for me to say as I have just passed but it won't be half as bad as you think.

Where is it being tested?

Rich.

john_p_b

posted on 9/8/05 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for all the comments folks, sinse this time last week i've made a few alterations.

1. the indicators have been changed for some motorcycle nose cone mounted items (fitting them tonight)

2. the engine bay looks reasonable now, made brackets for all the pipes etc, only thing that lets the bay down is the primer grey rocker cover!

3. checked the height on the rear fog, it's well within regs.

4. i'm really not sure about the wrapping of the braided brake hoses? surely wrapping them is going to make them stiffer?

5. that 'orrible plastic on the wishbones has gone! just covering the sharp bits now and leaving the rest.

think thats about the lot for now.

i'll be back!

jos

posted on 10/8/05 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
Why have you changed the indicators. By moving them to the nose cone you take them nearer to the 400mm limit from the side of the vehicle. Is it to increase the angle of visibility??

.: Motorsport / motor racing circuit / track wall art Apex Traxs :.

john_p_b

posted on 11/8/05 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
jos, i'm mounting them on little extensions so they will actually be further within the limits of the 400mm from the side and yeah the main reason was to improve the angles of visibillity
jos

posted on 12/8/05 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
Can you send me or post a picture of the build up extensions as I need to get mine further out too, please.

.: Motorsport / motor racing circuit / track wall art Apex Traxs :.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.