Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What type of air filter?
jonbeedle

posted on 17/8/05 at 12:33 AM Reply With Quote
What type of air filter?

Any recommendations on what type of air filter I could fit to my 1300 xflow and where to get it from? It's a bog standard carb and I have a hole cut in the bonnet already! At the moment I'm running the engine with the original filter but it's the size of a frying pan.
Cheers
Jon

"Everyone is entitled to an opinion however stupid!"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 17/8/05 at 12:38 AM Reply With Quote
ITG or K&N sausage...

jonbeedle

posted on 17/8/05 at 12:48 AM Reply With Quote
Is it really called a sausage?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jonbeedle

posted on 17/8/05 at 12:49 AM Reply With Quote
I was thinking of something like this:

[Edited on 17/8/05 by jonbeedle] Rescued attachment Air filter.JPG
Rescued attachment Air filter.JPG

NS Dev

posted on 17/8/05 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
something like that would be ideal!

You cannot get better than a K&N filter in terms of quality and performance.

MikeRJ

posted on 17/8/05 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
Only thing that worries me about K&Ns exposed like that is they do not like getting wet. The airflow capacity drops to about zero and the engine won't run if it's really wet.
jonbeedle

posted on 17/8/05 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
Only thing that worries me about K&Ns exposed like that is they do not like getting wet. The airflow capacity drops to about zero and the engine won't run if it's really wet.

What do you recommend Mike?

MikeR

posted on 17/8/05 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
an umbrella .............

sorry, but i thought it was funny (and it takes your post back to the top!)

Locost82

posted on 17/8/05 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
On a rolling road my clean K+N showed a 2 BHP reduction over no air filter. The rolling road dude said the Pipercross was better, but really hated the wet!
indykid

posted on 17/8/05 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
if it sticks through the bonnet, it'll want cleaning regularly too.

i've done 800 miles so far, and the filter you see above is now completely black, and full of flies/general shite.

it still seems to flow alright, but doesn't sound as nice as when it was new.

i have no screen, so don't drive in the wet if i can help it. it stings too much

tom

NS Dev

posted on 17/8/05 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
hmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!

As most on here know, I race an autograss car, and there is not much that tests an air filter more than running in dust that you can't see through whilst racing, getting plastered in wet mud, and getting soaking wet too.

I have NEVER had a problem with K&N's when they are wet, though I have had problems with foam filters (ITG and Pipercross) "sucking in" when they are wet.

The K&N's that we use still flow fine (pretty much 0 restriction) even when covered in 1/16" or so of dirt.

Certainly on the rolling road, taking the (dirty) filter off and putting it on again made 0 hp change.

Just speaking from experience.

NS Dev

posted on 17/8/05 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
BIG K&N, no water probs, no dirt probs

[img][/img]

darren(SA)

posted on 17/8/05 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
K&N looks better, On a stock carb you probably won't get any extra hp out of it, might sound much better, and has lifetime warranty,

cheers

indykid

posted on 17/8/05 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
i won't bother washing it then.

cheap as chips!

cheers ns dev
tom

NS Dev

posted on 17/8/05 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by indykid
i won't bother washing it then.

cheap as chips!

cheers ns dev
tom

They certainly don't need washing very often. Think I did my grasser's one twice last year, never noticed a lack of power, but the flutes on the top side of the filter were no longer visible through the dirt so I thought I'd better do it!!

They do go black very quickly, but that will do no harm at all.

cheers

Nat

MikeRJ

posted on 17/8/05 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
Two experiences I've had with wet K&N's

1) On a bike I owned that came with the K&N's already fitted. The first time I rode it in heavy rain the bike started a misfire that got worse and worse. I though it was the HT leads and coil that were tracking, but the black smoke from the exhausts pointed back to carburation. Pulling the filters off restored full power. I've since heard simmilar stories from other bikers, so not an isolated case.

2) A friend had a mini with a big downdraugh Weber ( DCNF??) and big K&N sticking out of the carefully cut bonnet. Once saturated in the rain, RPM was limited to about 2500 RPM, above which the engine misfired chronicaly, produced clouds of black smoke and stunk of fuel.

If I had to do this I'd personaly make some kind of shroud in front of the filter to deflect the majority of water away. I guess you could make it removable for dry weather if you wanted to.

ned

posted on 17/8/05 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
you want a little buldge by the sounds of it, there was a post a while back, surrey dave had one and i think david jenkins fitted one.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

britishtrident

posted on 17/8/05 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Locost82
On a rolling road my clean K+N showed a 2 BHP reduction over no air filter. The rolling road dude said the Pipercross was better, but really hated the wet!

Rolling road can be very different from the road David Vizard did an article in TripleC in the 1970s that convinced me that running without a filter or air box is really bad for power output on the road. On the rolling road you don't get a 100mph wind blowing across the carb intake blowing away stand off fuel droplets from the carb mouth.

jonbeedle

posted on 17/8/05 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
All very interesting, but where is the best place to get one like the one in the picture?

JoelP

posted on 17/8/05 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
EBAY

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

indykid

posted on 17/8/05 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
which picture?

if it's mine you're after, the round one, its a 56-9038, and i got it through halfords. they're £43 iirc, needless to say, that's not what i ended up paying. it's listed for a 1.6 sierra, but i don't know which carb it's supposed to fit, because it has 2 bolt holes, and a circular hole about 3" across.
i jigsawed it out to shape, and then stuck it on my carb.

ebay would be a start, but i wouldn't expect to get something an exact fit for any weber carb except for the dcoe variety. i rang K&N and either got speaking to the office fool, or they simply don't do exact fit filters for weber downdraughts.

hth
tom

forgot to mention, halfords is having a big stock clearance atm, and one of the things we have in dewsbury is an oval K&N. iirc, it's under £20. can't remember what it fits, but a bit of ally sika'd to the bottom would make a fine new base plate for it.

[Edited on 17/8/05 by indykid]

JoelP

posted on 17/8/05 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
i cut mine out and screwed it on, ISTR there was an adapter plate involved too. Easy!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

NS Dev

posted on 17/8/05 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by indykid
can't remember what it fits, but a bit of ally sika'd to the bottom would make a fine new base plate for it.

[Edited on 17/8/05 by indykid]

I've done exactly that a few times and it works a treat, no bother.

NS Dev

posted on 17/8/05 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
Two experiences I've had with wet K&N's

1) On a bike I owned that came with the K&N's already fitted. The first time I rode it in heavy rain the bike started a misfire that got worse and worse. I though it was the HT leads and coil that were tracking, but the black smoke from the exhausts pointed back to carburation. Pulling the filters off restored full power. I've since heard simmilar stories from other bikers, so not an isolated case.

2) A friend had a mini with a big downdraugh Weber ( DCNF??) and big K&N sticking out of the carefully cut bonnet. Once saturated in the rain, RPM was limited to about 2500 RPM, above which the engine misfired chronicaly, produced clouds of black smoke and stunk of fuel.

If I had to do this I'd personaly make some kind of shroud in front of the filter to deflect the majority of water away. I guess you could make it removable for dry weather if you wanted to.

Must be using filters too small for the job by a huge margin then. Firstly, the wet shouldn't be an issue, and secondly, the vacuum that an engine generates, even on idle, will easily pull the water through the filter and through the engine!!!

I have seen grassers (including mine) come into the pits after a race with piles of mud completely covering the top of the air filters, and certainly thoroughly wetting them, with no running probs whatsoever.

I also wash the engine area on my grasser with it running, precisely to stop water getting though the filter and filling the throttle bodies/ports with water, and the engine just merrily sucks it all through the K&N with no drama at all.

They don't use them in off road racing for fun, they use them because they work!

Just another thought.................when I originally ran my car up on the rolling road, it had ITG foam sock filters on it as I couldn't fit the K&N in the space available. It tried to pull the socks clean inside the throttle bodies on full throttle, they completely collapsed. This was a std vauxhall 16v XE engine but on 48mm jenvey twin throttle bodies. It made 175+ hp at the wheels....................if those filters weren't a restriction the I don't know what is, but it still made easily the expected power.

Performance air filtration is a must, but faffing and worrying about K&N filters in the wet is just plain silly.

[Edited on 17/8/05 by NS Dev]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.