Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: SVA FAIL AT SHREWSBURY
richardhuggins

posted on 21/8/05 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
SVA FAIL AT SHREWSBURY

After wating 4 weeks for the test it failed

when I arrived late by 10 mins (I was at the wrong centre, the other one was down the road about 300 yards) Mark the SVA Man was not impressed, my car was cold after spending the night on the trailer outside my house, it was a little smokey to say the least (it has never done that before. But sailed through the emisions test then it whent on the ramp
I said that it had a MOT prior to the SVA "wrong" the first 3 things it failed on were obvious MOT failures 1. brke hoses fouling yhe wheels on full lock 2. headlight alignment out by miles 3. steering u/j nuckle worn. after that it whent well only failing on 3 items not radiused 1 being the ITG air filter the red band round the middle, when the foam was depressed the ring had no radius
te stone guard was sitting proud by 5.5mm Limit 5mm and the headlamp mountin bar no radius at all easy fixes
2 bolts with nylocks not showing enough thread front o/s and rear n/s wheels out of line of body form and finaly the speedo out by light years. cananyone advise me on the brake hoses and speedo my sensor is mounted on the half shaft with 4 magnets ETB say the gap should be 2-3mm but have tried everything ,

any info would be greatful

P.S no one has passed at this test centre first time?

pajsh

posted on 21/8/05 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
I have just received my SVA date at Shrewsbury of Thurs 01 Sept so am interested in your comments.

Interesting you note no one passes first time. Things that you have mentioned are the things I think I might fail on.

pajsh

viatron

posted on 21/8/05 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
Now i am worried!! I am up for SVA at Shrewsbury on Wednesday morning!! Anyone fancy coming to Craven Arms Wednesday night so i can benefit from your bad luck:
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pajsh

posted on 21/8/05 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
Being in Crewe I'm a fair way North but would be interested to hear how you get on.

I might post some pics on the forum if I feel brave (and can work out how to do it) as you can get some good advice that way.

I'm probably going to put my test back anyway as I'm waiting on Swansea for a V5 and FoMoCo for an engine statement.

I still don't expect to pass first time though.

pajsh

Hellfire

posted on 21/8/05 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
If you are very thorough - you can pass first time... The list you have given is all easy stuff - so good luck on your re-test!

jos

posted on 22/8/05 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
I always seem to get an answerphone message whenever I try to contact Shrewsbury SVA centre. Do they only work certain days????

Where is the test centre?? For some reason I thought it was close to Whitehall, is this correct??

.: Motorsport / motor racing circuit / track wall art Apex Traxs :.

coovey

posted on 22/8/05 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
Wouldn't guarentee it Helfire, when i spoke to the tester at shrewsbury first thing he said was people don't pass first time with kit cars. really starting to regret choosing shrews for my test next week. Seemed a nice guy just got the impression its a fore gone conclusion. You never know i might break the mould fingers crossed.

Peteff

posted on 22/8/05 at 11:59 PM Reply With Quote
people don't pass first time with kit cars

They do at Derby and Nottingham stations. I'm glad I'm up here and not down there.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

pajsh

posted on 23/8/05 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Viatron,

Best of luck for tomorrow at Shrewsbury.

Trust you will post how you get on.

Pajsh

rusty nuts

posted on 23/8/05 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
Cars can pass at Norwich first time as well . Very helpful tester who seemed to want to pass the car , only had to adjust brake bias while he had a cuppa . No reason any car that is prepaired shouldn't pass at any test centre.
Jon Bradbury

posted on 23/8/05 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Who cares...

...if it doesn't pass first time? You still built it, and got it on the road. The SVA - it's just jumping through hoops. Mine failed on minor things that were fair but the tester said it was the best built RH he'd ever seen and one of the best kit cars. He still failed me, but I was back again the following week and I drove away with the coveted MAC.

Remember, if Shrewsbury are thorough and fail you (where you might have passed at Nottingham) just console yourself with the thought that it's better to know your car's safe than not. A thorough check helps this - even if you fail first time.

richardhuggins

posted on 23/8/05 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with John Bradbury "sound words of wisdom" and I dont mind helping out with the SVA's slush fund

Mark the SVA Man was very fair and helpful

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.