Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Chasis research...
John.Taylor

posted on 22/8/05 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
Chasis research...

I have reached the decision that a 2.0 pinto and sierra runing gear with a GTS DeDion axle will fit my requirements of low cost and future upgrading (Cosworth).

I start a 12-week welding course at the end of the month and should have my chasis/design plans set in stone by now, and should be stripping my donor as we speak, but I still need a little direction on chasis choice.

I would ideally like to build a book chasis, using McSorley plans, but have read in the forum that the Pinto engine is a bit tall for this application and that longer wishbones will be required to accomodate the Sierra's wider track.

Is the book/McSorley the best way to go, or would the +4+2 chasis be a better bet? Alternatively, I assume that the chasis plans from GTS are specifically for a Sierra/pinto build, has anybody built a chassis using them and how good are they?

blueshift

posted on 22/8/05 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
as far as I know the important difference with the GTS chassis is that the rails under the axle are horizontal and level with the floor to provide more clearance. they have little risers at the back to connect them up with the normal line of the tube (RU1+2 I think).

I am using GTS dedion on a chassis based on mcsorley 7+4, by the way

tom_loughlin

posted on 22/8/05 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
as far as i know,GTS bodywork is a bit higher, to give more clearance in the engine bay. a difficulty of using the +4 plans is the bodywork side of things, having to cut and modify the nose, scuttleand bonnet.

all the best,

Tom

John.Taylor

posted on 22/8/05 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
I have the GTS PDF covering book chassis mods to incorporate the GTS DeDion, looks simple.

I suppose what I really want to know is if I build a book/McSorley chassis modded for the GTS DeDion, can I get the 2.0 pinto Sierra running gear in without modification to the chassis (raising the top rails and enlarging the transmission tunnel) and will standard bodywork fit (eg. the GTS 11 piece kit).

Otherwise I shall be contacting GTS to find out what their chassis incorporates.

Anyone built a GTS chassis from the plans?

fastenuff

posted on 22/8/05 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
if you 'd look at the irs pdf on the GTS website you can see the difference any measurements you need I think I can provide. or will post pictures next weekend

Ingmar

davidfe

posted on 29/9/05 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
GTS DeDion

I went to the GTS site to look for the DeDion pdf and it is not available. Is it possible for someone to e-mail it to me?

I am planning on a McSorley 7+442.

I am making a model of the front suspension (full size) so I can figure out the bracket locations etc.

I need to go and get the Fiero spindles...may be tomorrow.

Thanks,
David Edwards

omega 24 v6

posted on 29/9/05 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Davidfe have a look in my photo archive I've just posted the problems and what I hope are the solutions for my 442.
It may help you out a bit.

scotty g

posted on 1/10/05 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
John.Taylor, the standard sized kit from GTS is a couple of inches taller than the others so you wont have any issues with fitting a pinto in, i will be fitting a DOHC in mine which is bigger than a pinto.
If you choose to go with a +4 then the GTS wide kit has bags of space and they also have all the grp bodywork for the +4 chassis as well.
Wouldn't it make sense to use the GTS plans, that way you know the bodywork will fit?

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.