Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: couple of sva questions for you.
Highcost builder

posted on 11/1/03 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
couple of sva questions for you.

I read somewhere something about a rear stop lamp test switch is this a requirment? any ideas?

Also im not fitting a screen so will i still have to fit a rear view mirror if so any got any ideas where best to get a compliant one. thanks.

David Jenkins

posted on 11/1/03 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
The only 'test switch' I know about is the one for low brake fluid - you must have some means of proving that the brake failure light is working.

This can be either a switch of some sort on the dashboard, or a switch on the handbrake lever that illuminates the light when the handbrake is on (if the handbrake is OFF and the light is still ON, you've run out of brake fluid!)

David

Highcost builder

posted on 11/1/03 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
good man david first one answered anyone for the mirror question?
Ian Pearson

posted on 12/1/03 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
ISTR that if you only need two mirrors. ie: If you have a rear view mirror then you only need one side mirror, so two side mirrors should do it......I think!
jollygreengiant

posted on 12/1/03 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
Mot requirements are that you must have 2 mirrors giving adequate view to the rear of the vehicle. One of which MUST be the drivers/offside door mirror.

Enjoy.

theconrodkid

posted on 12/1/03 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
you still need a centre mounted mirror,on a stalk on the dash if you dont have a screen
Northy

posted on 12/1/03 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
Don't you only need a center mirror if the examiner can't see 'the line marked on the ground' with the two side mirrors?

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jollygreengiant

posted on 12/1/03 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
This is what I like about this countries laws, MOT regulations say that there is no requirement at all for a centre line mirror, Yet SVA which is carried out by the same people at the VI apparently have a totally different set of criterior for the testing and this shows up the differences which as stupid (IN MY OPINION) If we ALL had one set of rules then life would be so much easier.

Enjoy

scutter

posted on 12/1/03 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
Have just read the SVA manual, it says;

"Obligatory mirrors required are;

One interor mirror and One offside exterior mirror. If the interior mirror rearward field of view cannot be met a nearside exterior mirror must be fitted.

An interior mirror must be fitted unless it would provide NO rearward vision.

Yeap it sent me to sleep just typing it, but that's the offical word.

Sorry still doesn't answer the question of what mirror to use, I'd like to know as well.

All the best Dan.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.