Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dodge Neon engine and rwd?
chetcpo

posted on 29/8/05 at 05:30 AM Reply With Quote
Dodge Neon engine and rwd?

I race a Neon in SCCA amatuer road racing here in the states. I've rebuilt the car's 150hp 2.0 DOHC a couple times and I know the engine pretty well and even have extras laying around the garage. It's also pretty light for a dual cam engine.
Naturally I am considering this for my powerplant for my locost build which is still in the planning stages.
I was wondering if it was possible to mate it to a different drivetrain to achieve the rear wheel drive I so desire. I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers in how to go about this.

Thanks,
Chet

[Edited on 29/8/05 by chetcpo]

physician

posted on 29/8/05 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
it have been mention on yahoo that a Jeep Liberty transmission from a 4 cylinder 2.4( which is suposed to be derived on the 2liter) can bolt on... still searching for information
chetcpo

posted on 31/8/05 at 03:35 AM Reply With Quote
I have verified this with a DC employee that this will work. He says the nv1500 5 speed tranny from the 2003-2004 2.4liter equipped Jeep Liberty will work, but what you would really want is the tranny from the 2005 Jeep Liberty. It is the NSG370 a 6 speed Mercedes unit with a four cylinder Mopar bell housing.

If I use the 2.4 liter DOHC engine and the 2005 Liberty tranny I will have 150 hp / 165 ftlbs of torque (unmodified) and six gears. I expect it will cost about $400 for the motor and $600 for the tranny. Not very lo-cost-ish, but very quick.

"Book" based scratch built Miata/Eunos 1.8 powered Locost
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=952

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.